Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please help me with info on these communities
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:21 pm
We thought we were moving to a different place, but Hashem thought otherwise. Can anyone give me onfo on Norfolk Virgina, atlanta georgia, and Memphis Tennesee?

What is the job market in those places?
How are the schools and tuition?
We are looking to rent a house, how much is that?

My husband wears a white shirt with black pants every day and a black hat. We are yeshivish but we are openminded with people all walks of life.

Thanks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:08 pm
I live in Atlanta. Housing is affording..in the main frum neighborhood, Toco Hills, you can buy a four bedroom for $400,00.
Elementary school is TDSA. Good school. Tuition is around $12,000 but they will work with you.
Overall, southern living is welcoming, friendly, non judgemental and less superficial than some other frum neighborhoods

Beingreal

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:10 pm
Thanks baby blue! What about renting a house? How much does it cost?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:26 pm
I don't remember about prices but I went to a fair a few years ago on different communities and based on how you describe yourself Norfolk Virginia sounds like the best fit.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:29 am
Can anyone give info on norfolk?

Beingreal

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:30 am
Thanks amother seafoam!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 8:49 am
Beingreal wrote:
Thanks baby blue! What about renting a house? How much does it cost?
[quote]

Around 2500 for house.

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 10:16 am
I don't know about the finances, but having visited all 3 communities, I second the vote for Norfolk. It's a really nice and warm OOT community where you'll fit in and feel comfortable religiously. The Rav and the people in shul were very friendly and welcoming. Atlanta is much larger and more established and has more Jewish infrastructure if that makes a difference, though.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 11:44 am
I have an uncle in Memphis. Small frum community so everyone counts. Nice jcc very communal atmosphere. A couple shuls and a couple grocery stores so real small town living. Small high school. Rabbis make you feel super welcome. Can you spend a shabbat
In 1 or 2 communities before moving? Would help you make a smart choice

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:54 pm
Of the 3 you mentioned, I believe Atlanta is the biggest most established Jewish community . The school (TDSA) and the shul (Beth Jacob) are modern Orthodox with people on all ends of the spectrum. There is a kollel minyan which is mostly black hat and then the main minyan which is all types. The school is separate classes but same building for boys and girls. Job market depends on what you are looking for. It's a big city so there are a lot of opportunities depending on what field.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:44 pm
We want to go for a Shabbos. What are the housing for buying or renting for memphis and norfolk? Is there a kollel in memphis? My husband works and learns, where would we fit in better? Thanks everyone!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:46 pm
Doesn’t it depend where you both get jobs?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:57 pm
Wouldn't describe shul or school in Atlanta as Modern orthodox. It's typical out of town frum. Yeshivish with modern orthodox all in one place. Many Klei Kodesh in both places, but plenty non klei kodesh and Baalei Teshuvah who are growing and amazing!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:58 pm
Wouldn't describe shul or school in Atlanta as Modern orthodox. It's typical out of town frum. Yeshivish with modern orthodox all in one place. Many Klei Kodesh in both places, but plenty non klei kodesh and Baalei Teshuvah who are growing and amazing!!

Beingreal

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:02 pm
No. We want to make sure its the right community for us before looking for jobs.

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:05 pm
https://www.memphiskollel.org/about-us
http://norfolkkollel.com/kollel-staff/
https://atlantakollel.org/team/

I think you could be happy in any of these 3. As I wrote above, a lot depends on what size community you want. Memphis is the smallest of the 3, followed by Norfolk, and then Atlanta is the biggest. Depending on your jobs and budget, I'd think Norfolk and Atlanta are your best bets.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 4:09 pm
The distinction between out of town frum and modern Orthodox is a gray line. There are certain things that go in Atlanta that would never go in a more yeshivish city I.e. girls learning part of gemara in school, people driving to shul on Shabbas and having the back parking lot open, wearing jean skirts, having mixed kiddushim in shul, 8th grade graduation being for boys and girls at the same time (unless that has changed ) , having a mechitza that you can still see the women through, .etc. And this is just a few examples . Yes there are more yeshivish people also but as a whole the community is on the modern side.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 4:30 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
The distinction between out of town frum and modern Orthodox is a gray line. There are certain things that go in Atlanta that would never go in a more yeshivish city I.e. girls learning part of gemara in school, people driving to shul on Shabbas and having the back parking lot open, wearing jean skirts, having mixed kiddushim in shul, 8th grade graduation being for boys and girls at the same time (unless that has changed ) , having a mechitza that you can still see the women through, .etc. And this is just a few examples . Yes there are more yeshivish people also but as a whole the community is on the modern side.

So basically what jpf has always been.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 4:31 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

How on earth do you compare wearing jean skirts to driving to shul on shabbos?
Most MO people do not drive on Shabbos btw... that's more of a conservedox thing...

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 4:54 pm
Those are not comparable. In Chicago, or Brooklyn, or E"Y you are looked at as not chareidi or modern if you wear jean. In Atlanta, even the more frum families wear.

As far as driving to shul on Shabbas , it's a Orthodox shul and they talk against it and they even put up a sign saying don't park in the front parking lot lechovod Shabbas knowing very well that they turn a blind eye to the back parking lot bring open. Most of the community is not mechallel Shabbas but in a more right wing shul that wouldn't happen. Its the type of thing that will happen when you have a minyan made up of people from all walks .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating