Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation Destination and trip planning help: US
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:44 am
Look into panama. If you stay in panama city you have the kosher food etc, and then you go on a day trip with local guides to the most amaaaaaazing islands that have basically no one else there, so you dont really have a shmiras ainayim issue.

I havent done this myself but this is what my friend told me.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:47 am
Do you care about Zika?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:47 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Cancun fits all your criteria.

Oops, just reread what you wrote about no beach destinations.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:59 am
OP said she doesn't want a beach destination, so Cancun and the Caribbean wouldn't work well, though a place like Panama could work, with the Canal, rainforests, and a strong Jewish community with restaurants.

As for Europe, Scotland is nice, but I also wouldn't put it at the top of my list, though if Edinburgh Castle excites you (to visit, not stay in), maybe it's for you.

You could also consider Iceland, which is stunningly beautiful and has become more popular of late now that Chabad opened there last year and provides a Shabbos option.

A lot of of it depends on your budget, your interests, and whether you just want a nice relaxing getaway or a truly epic bucket list experience.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:02 am
tichellady wrote:
What month

Mid may

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:04 am
Squishy wrote:
Mazol Tov on your husband's graduation.

We often fly for 5 days because of DH's work schedule. Can you go longer? Will you be vacationing over Shabbos?

Five days is the max. I don't feel comfortable leaving my boys for longer. Even this much is making me anxious! We will be going over Shabbos: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:05 am
I've gone to Orlando FL with my DH and we stayed for about five days in a villa with a pool and we made sure there was a privacy fence . The villa was actually in Kissimmee which is right outside Orlando. We did two theme parks , went one day to Kennedy Space Center and the other days chilled by the pool. When we went it was the summer time and the Chabad Shliach said that there wasn't any minyan for Shabbos so DH davened byechidus. ( ) We brought along some frozen meat and chicken and purchased the disposable grills in the supermarket in Orlando and any other food we needed. We grilled pool side. We also brought along a crockpot a pan, knife, peeler etc and because there was a full kitchen we were able to put up crockpot dinners before leaving on a full day trip and we came back to a ready meal.
There's also a microwave where you can put in double wrapped food. We had a rented car and did window shopping etc in the evenings.
It was a very relaxing and enjoyable trip. That was 15 years ago and my first vacation with DH. We have amazing memories. The best part of Florida is that it's a short plane ride and traveling doesn't eat up a chunk of your stay.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:09 am
We went to Prague and Chamonix in November and it was outstanding. Prague had several kosher restaurants, gorgeous Intercontinental hotel in the Jewish quarter, prepaid shabbos meals, very nice Jewish history and places to walk even on shabbos. Chamonix is the most natural beauty at Mont Blanc with a cute alpine town.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:11 am
doctorima wrote:
OP said she doesn't want a beach destination, so Cancun and the Caribbean wouldn't work well, though a place like Panama could work, with the Canal, rainforests, and a strong Jewish community with restaurants.

As for Europe, Scotland is nice, but I also wouldn't put it at the top of my list, though if Edinburgh Castle excites you (to visit, not stay in), maybe it's for you.

You could also consider Iceland, which is stunningly beautiful and has become more popular of late now that Chabad opened there last year and provides a Shabbos option.

A lot of of it depends on your budget, your interests, and whether you just want a nice relaxing getaway or a truly epic bucket list experience.

Yeh, no beaches. I miss spending the day on the beach with my husband. We used to when we were newly married. Somewhere along the way my husband decided this is something he wants to be careful about, and I respect his decision. He also chose not to stop watching TV or movies. These aren't things he puts any pressure on me not to do, just doesn't feel comfortable doing them himself. I actually think it's really special, the way he safeguards our relationship and his own spirituality... and you would never guess it to look at him that my jeans-and-plaid-shirt wearing guy is so 'frum!'

Regarding bucket list vs. relaxation, I'd like a bit of both!

Last edited by DVOM on Wed, May 01 2019, 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:12 am
DVOM wrote:
Good morning everyone!! Sorry I couldn't answer yesterday... the boys were so overtired and overstimulated and the house was a tornado!

So... It's hard to even focus on the trip itself, since I'm till struggling to figure out what to do with my boys. The overnight babysitter I'd been counting on can't do it, and neither can the two backups I would have been comfortable using. I hate the feeling of trying to farm out my kids... but I really do want this vacation badly. Because it's not coming easily, my instinct is to give it up. I think because I'm not so comfortable leaving them in the first place. Ok, deep breath, they can manage without us for a few days! going to keep working on it!

Regarding the vacation itself:

Did a little googling. Arizona looks amazing. So does Seattle. But most amazing of all is Venice (Gondolas! 'nuf said!). And once I was looking overseas, another one that sounds appealing is Scottland (I want to sleep in a castle!). Anyone actually visit these places? What sorts of things are there to do around there? Is it totally ridiculous to fly so far for only 5 days? I'd love to hear more about these places!

I have been to all these places except for Scotland. I don’t think it’s crazy to go away for 5 days since I find the flying without kids part fun and part of the experience. If you hate flying, have a hard time with jet lag etc then it might not make sense for you. Arizona has lots of nature and we loved the musical instrument museum ( you would probably want to go to Sedona for a day or two). Seattle is a big city but also has great nature. If you could afford to get to Italy you should go, it’s beautiful and will feel very different!

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:13 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I've gone to Orlando FL with my DH and we stayed for about five days in a villa with a pool and we made sure there was a privacy fence . The villa was actually in Kissimmee which is right outside Orlando. We did two theme parks , went one day to Kennedy Space Center and the other days chilled by the pool. When we went it was the summer time and the Chabad Shliach said that there wasn't any minyan for Shabbos so DH davened byechidus. ( ) We brought along some frozen meat and chicken and purchased the disposable grills in the supermarket in Orlando and any other food we needed. We grilled pool side. We also brought along a crockpot a pan, knife, peeler etc and because there was a full kitchen we were able to put up crockpot dinners before leaving on a full day trip and we came back to a ready meal.
There's also a microwave where you can put in double wrapped food. We had a rented car and did window shopping etc in the evenings.
It was a very relaxing and enjoyable trip. That was 15 years ago and my first vacation with DH. We have amazing memories. The best part of Florida is that it's a short plane ride and traveling doesn't eat up a chunk of your stay.

I went to Disney as a kid! I have such fond memories... but no, it's just not talking to me. I think because I hope to go with my kids someday, and it would make me miss them to be there without them.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:16 am
In regards to the beach destination thing, there are a lot of places in the caribean that are beach destinations so they have beatiful weather but you don't have to go to the beach at all.

The dutch islands, for example, have so many activities both water and land, jamaica also, you don't have to visit the beach at all! And hotels off the beach are cheaper.
Panama is probably perfect for you, Mexico city... If you want to go to a place that doens't have kosher food, look into pomegranate meals. HOnestly they end up cheaper than restaurants every night adn they taste great.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:29 pm
Panama is definitely amazing, has a ton of kosher restaurants, incredible activities and isn't too far. But it is a warm climate so women dress like it is summer there (which it basically is).

Iceland is absolutely beautiful. Chabad moved there recently (I went before Chabad) but there are no kosher restaurants. It is very scenic, easy to drive around and fairly close.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:41 pm
Alaska is stunning. Occasionally there is a kosher cruise there. If not, there are short cruises in the Pacific if you want to base yourself out of Vancouver or Seattle. If the latter, I’d happily give some great suggestions!

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:59 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Alaska is stunning. Occasionally there is a kosher cruise there. If not, there are short cruises in the Pacific if you want to base yourself out of Vancouver or Seattle. If the latter, I’d happily give some great suggestions!

I don’t think Alaska is great for 5 days in May.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:56 pm
New Orleans is really fun. Or a European city if you’ve never been. Caribbean would’ve been my number one recommendation but its very beachy.

gande

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:37 pm
I was looking into the grand canyon but didnt end up going. there is a thread on it. There is a chabad right there for food and a relaxing shabbos.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:57 pm
Chabad at the Grand Canyon? There's one in Flagstaff, but that's 1.5 hours away, and their website indicates that they don't even have a minyan Friday night, only Shabbos day. I'm sure they'd welcome guests for meals if that's enough for OP and lodging can be worked out.

That said, the Grand Canyon is amazing and a bucket-list item worthy of visiting, but when we went, we spent Shabbos in Phoenix (4 hours away) with a more established Jewish community.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:03 pm
Davos is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful. The kosher hotel is closed until shavous.

ggdm

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:27 am
I would save Europe for a longer trip. It can of course work, but the ratio travel vs time there is just better if you keep to your own continent.

Iceland could work, travelwise. It is fantastic place if you like nature. But it will still be really cold in May potentiall with snow and freezig temperatures. If you are lucky you can get 15 degrees Celsius and rain only once a day. The season only starts in June, so many things may be closed. And it is very expensive.

I have not been to the US, but my list would include all the amazing national parks like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc. I don't know how that could work with Shabat though. And of course you need to like nature...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics