Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Virginia and Floridaor only Virginia?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 2:40 pm
I am trying to figure out what to do in the summer and looking for advise. I am seriously considering moving to Virginia. I had this whole plan in the summer to go there for a week and stay over for Shabbos to really get a good idea of Virginia and it's community. Now I got the idea in my head to do a big road trip and in it, stay in Virginia and go to Florida. My husband thinks that if we are checking out Virginia to move we should spend the whole time there. I am not sure how I feel but I really want to bring my kids to Florida and Magic kingdom- even though I know it will be hot and maybe rainy.
What do you think?
Anyone whose gone to both places please advise!!

real

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 3:30 pm
that's a tough one-hatzlacha

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 4:10 pm
Will you have another opportunity to go to Florida?
I would agree with DH that you should invest your time in checking out the Virginia community, if that is where you are hoping to move. If you can do that first, and thoroughly without rushing, and you have leftover time, then Florida sounds amazing.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 4:35 pm
That’s a lot of traveling for one week especially with children.

I lived in Charlottesville for several years and it is essentially one day to drive there and then it’s about 10 hours from Richmond to Orlando.

If you want to get a sense of a community, then you should plan to stay in Virginia for a week. There are interesting things to do with children in Virginia anyway including Williamsburg which is worth a visit. There is the beach if you want to do that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 4:43 pm
I would split it up over two weeks or two and a half weeks- I can be very lax with the time, the only issue that comes up is Shabbos because I would like to be in Orlando or Norfolk and they are soo far apart that I have to plan well.
I haven't gone to Florida with my family and I think all of my kids will love the theme parks- I also planned on going to Busch Gardens in Virginia- not sure if it's too many parks for them also.
Realistically, do you think we will really give Virginia a thought if we are waiting for Florida, or should I push it off?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 4:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would split it up over two weeks or two and a half weeks- I can be very lax with the time, the only issue that comes up is Shabbos because I would like to be in Orlando or Norfolk and they are soo far apart that I have to plan well.
I haven't gone to Florida with my family and I think all of my kids will love the theme parks- I also planned on going to Busch Gardens in Virginia- not sure if it's too many parks for them also.
Realistically, do you think we will really give Virginia a thought if we are waiting for Florida, or should I push it off?

If you have so much time, then I definitely think do both.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 7:27 pm
I was just in Virginia Beach last week and have been to Florida numerous times. I would do both if u have time but it's tonz of driving. I personally did not do Busch gardens since some of my family went one day and had a horrible time. Orlando parks are great. The ropes course in Virginia is great as was the beach. Aquarium was really small and not worth it. I did Williamsburg years ago and loved it.

Boobasheli

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:19 pm
I wouldn't bother with Florida in the summer. Its brutally hot in Florida and one week in Virginia sounds like an enjoyable family vacation. In my past experience, squeezing in too much makes a vacation worse.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:29 pm
I agree that while it may sound great on paper Florida in the summer is brutal. And going to those parks is very tough in those months. More like an endurance marathon. I really wouldn't want to take kids there then even if it seemed like a great opportunity. I think the reality is much tougher than the allure of the idea. If you do decide to go, then go to the parks as early in the morning as they open, return before lunch, swim all day, and return in the evening when its a bit cooler.

lucky14

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:35 pm
I'd just do Virginia now. It's especially important that you are there for a shabbos btw- to really be able to get a proper feel of the community. It's a lot of traveling to put your kids through. Is it possible to do Florida another time? (and as someone else has pointed out- the summer is so hot, it's preferable to go when it's not so hot, especially walking around all those parks). I say stick with just Virginia. Get a good feel for it. Make that your exciting trip for the summer and do florida another time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics