Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What recipes did you INVENT this Pesach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 8:32 pm
I'm talking about creativity...

I made the Pesach crackers, but I added (to 1/4 of a recipe I.e. one 9x13) 3 cloves garlic, a tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley (which I processed erev YT & froze), also a little minced ginger & turmeric. I cut them small (about an inch) and baked them til pretty crisp (took much longer than the plain ones) and VOILA - garlic croutons to put in the soup! I just ate the leftovers. Yum

DD invented a pineapple & orange sauce (some sauteed onions, a little sugar & potato starch) to serve over chicken chunks (she had defrosted too many cutlets & had no patience to fry all those shnitzels). It was excellent!

aricelli

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 8:51 pm
Not much of an invention but you know those dessert recipes where you bake half the mixture and freeze the other half on top? Well I accidentally baked the whole thing and it was this heavy gooey fudgy mush. I did ra moms vanilla ice cream (shout out for the recipes!) and layered it on top and the combination of the two was yum!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:00 pm
I coated chicken nuggets in Pesach "crumbs" (aka seasoned Potatoe starch) fried them lightly. Then I sautéed onion, red pepper, zuchinni and frozen brocolli florets on a different pot. I made a sauce out of duck sauce, ketchup, vinegar and spices added it to the vegetable mixture and then added the half fried nuggets . I let the whole mixture of chicken, veggies and sauce simmer in the pot. The starch in the chicken coating caused the sauce to thicken and it came out like a sweet Chinese style chicken and veggies dish sans the soy sauce. I even froze the leftovers and rewarded it for the end days and it tasted as good as it tasted fresh.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:10 pm
Well, my kids messed up a meringue recipe (added sugar to egg whites immediately instead of once stiff) so we just added some cocoa and a couple other things (wish I remembered exactly what) and it turned out to be the best pesach chocolate cake we ever had.

I made a really yummy pumpkin souffle. Again, wish I had written down what went in. I couldn't find a pesach acceptable recipe so I improvised.

Also, mixed mashed potatoes with eggs and some potato starch and made dumplings for our chicken soup since we don't eat matzo balls. Everyone loved this.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:25 pm
Every year my apple kugel fails (non gebrokts). This year I peeled and cut apples and baked them until soft. Then I mashed them and mixed with egg yolks and a little sugar and lemon juice. Beat egg whites separately and folded into the apple mixture. Came out delicious. I used 5/6 apples and 10 eggs per 9x13.

I cut carrots into fry shapes and roasted them with oil, salt and sugar, but it was missing something so I added roasted red onions - I think it was the biggest hit of anything I made. So simple, sweet and yummy.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:37 pm
Not my invention but my mom didn't have sauce for the salmon and just poured a container of Gold's salsa on top before baking and it was DELICIOUS.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:41 pm
Had leftover acorn squash. I mushed up the squash Seperated the 4 eggs. Put in the yolks and mixed up with a dash of cinamon made a snow if the whites. Folded together and baked. Had a lovely kugel !

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:42 pm
Cooked slices of ginger and mushroom in oil, set aside. Coated chicken in starch, cooked till almost done. Made a mix of water, salt, pareve soup mix, brown sugar. Added back in the mushrooms and ginger.

Meantime, stir fried a bunch of different veggies (broccoli, carrot, pepper, celery, garlic) in another pan. Added more sauce, mixed all together with ckicken/mushrooms.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:21 pm
I made a tropical salad. My own creation. Romaine lettuce. Cubed avocado. Cubes of pineapple & mango. Lemon juice. Oil. Orange juice. Salt. Pepper. Sugar. Red onions.

simba

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:59 pm
I roasted 5 sweet potatoes, I butternut squash and 1 red pepper. Then peeled them all and blended it with an immersion blender together with sautéed onions, then added 3 eggs and salted it. Spooned into individual ramekins and topped with ground toasted walnuts. Cooked for about 30 min. Was like a sweet potato soufflé but with a very deep flavor..

A did individual ramkekins because I didn’t think it would cut and serve in nice pieces.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:13 am
imasinger wrote:
Cooked slices of ginger and mushroom in oil, set aside. Coated chicken in starch, cooked till almost done. Made a mix of water, salt, pareve soup mix, brown sugar. Added back in the mushrooms and ginger.

Meantime, stir fried a bunch of different veggies (broccoli, carrot, pepper, celery, garlic) in another pan. Added more sauce, mixed all together with ckicken/mushrooms.
how thin do you slice tee gingers

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:31 am
I attempted to make a "magic" lemon cake. The batter (if done correctly) was supposed to separate into a crust, lemon curd-like filling and crisp top after baking and chilling.

It didn't happen as planned (IOW I messed up somewhere along the way) Surprised Sad Smile

However, I discovered that (flopped) it makes an awesome pareve (crust less) cheesecake! The texture was remiscent of a farmer cheese cheesecake (rather than a cream cheese dense NY style) and the taste was spot on. We froze the remnants for Shavuos...

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:34 am
I made a really yummy marinade for chicken cutlets (we used I on dark & white cutlets). I mixed just about equal parts of garlic oil (from making roasted garlic), maple syrup and fresh squeezed lime juice. It tasted almost like teriyaki chicken.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:41 am
charoset coconut balls

curry - pinapple-chicken over sweetpotatoes chips

frozen choco mousse

mango salmon

a sauce to go with brisket (like a sweet gravy) plums, red onions, wine and caramelized almonds: yummyyyyy

left overs-salad_: romaine, dates, rimon, roasted scallions, tomatoes and a dressing made from marmelade and balsamic vinegar: it was by far the best salad all guests loved it (I just tossed all left overs from previous seude together served on a nice dish and sprinkled with chives/herbs: looked and tasted perfect

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 2:08 am
Not uber creative, but I made a sauce for a French roast made from dry red wine, duck sauce, and pureed dates. My husband said it was amazing. I also made up a delicious mango vinaigrette for a salad (super easy), and improved upon an existing recipe to make the most chometz tasting chocolate pesach cake I've ever experienced. It was also delicious in a trifle😊

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 7:03 am
ectomorph wrote:
how thin do you slice tee gingers

Paper thin. Cook a minute or two till just starting to brown on edges.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:22 pm
I love the Hillel Sandwich.

I mixed finely ground up leftover horseradish root with finely chopped apples, pecans, and a dash of red wine. I spread it on matza as a snack. Feel the burn! Twisted Evil

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I love the Hillel Sandwich.

I mixed finely ground up leftover horseradish root with finely chopped apples, pecans, and a dash of red wine. I spread it on matza as a snack. Feel the burn! Twisted Evil

The original Hillel sandwich included the korban Pesach so feel free to add meat! Oh, and chances are the matzoh then was soft. Just imagine the possibilities...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:57 pm
cbsp wrote:
The original Hillel sandwich included the korban Pesach so feel free to add meat! Oh, and chances are the matzoh then was soft. Just imagine the possibilities...

Shwarma and lafa korban pesach... Mmm...

YoYo

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:05 pm
After meat and potato heavy Yom Tov meals, on chol hamoed one night I mixed leftover chicken from the soup with broccoli (big treat round here!) And made a vegetable stir fry - onions, carrots, peppers, zucchini to go with it. Noone missed having a carb!

For a Yom Tov appetizer, I served individually plated salad with lettuce, hearts of palm, avocado, cherry tomatoes, topped with super thin steak slices sautéed with caramelised red onions. I dressed it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Everyone raved, and I think it will become a shabbos summer lunch fixture
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics