Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
1 year old bored - how to keep her entertained
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish she would put her down for an earlier nap but she is one of the youngest in the group and everyone goes down to nap around 11/11:30 and she likes to have everyone on the same napping schedule. I feel bad to ask her because the only times she gets things done is when all the kids are napping.

That's frustrating, it's really not an ideal 1 year old schedule. I have a 12 month old and his day is wake up at 7, nap at about 10:30-12:00, second nap at 3:15-5:00 and bedtime at 8.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 8:48 pm
Please don't do any screen time at that age... that is way to young! Also a lot of toys with lights and music seem fancy but they arent good as they are overstimulating to the sensory system...
When your baby comes home( she is still a baby at 12 months:)) make sure her physical needs are met ( give her a meal or snack and a drink ( and nurse the baby if applicable) Smile and make sure she has a fresh diaper) then chat with her and give her undivided attention. Then go out for some time; it's gorgeous out and it will do worlds of good for both you. When you come back in you can give her a snack/ drink/ diaper and let her play on the floor in your kitchen so you can get some work done... leave supper in a crockpot in the morning; it's a real game changer! Hatzlacha figuring this out; this is such a yummy stage, enjoy every minute!

lora

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 8:57 pm
I have the same thing with my one year old daughter. some things that work are letting her go through cabinets, I locked up the possibly dangerous ones and even encourage her to unpack my pots and pans while I cook. I also sit with her on the floor and stack things, like empty containers or yogurts, she likes stacking tall piles. I have a porch and now that the weather is warming up I let her go out a bit, or sit by the window, she loves window time. finger snacks that take long to eat, even messy foods like chocolate chip cookies are great. she also likes going through shopping bags. if I go to the grocery I only pack away the eggs and the rest I let her take out of the bags and play with. she likes looking at videos of herself but that involves me sitting there the whole time since she touches the screen otherwise. basically take ques from her- when you notice shes quiet for a minute because shes busy with something try to use that interest and turn it into an activity.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a lot of fun toys for her but she doesn't want to play with them most of the time unless there are more people around. She does well with more people but it's just me and her until my son gets home and even that is not always enough for her. For example, she was amazing over y't because we were with a lot of people and she loves the action/noise:) I have a lot of toys that light up and play music and are interactive. I guess since she is out for 5 hours by the babysitter, she wants my full attention for the next 4 hours. I end up giving her a lot of quality time but I'm wiped out by the time my husband gets home. It would be nice if she wouldn't get upset if I put her down right next to me while I take care of things.

You should go outside to play for an hour a day if you can. It will be good for both of you.

mom!

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:38 pm
It is helpful to go out for an hour or so in middle of the day to break it up, you can even make a trip to the supermarket, Walmart ect.
Visit a friend who has kids, instant entertainment!
Let her empty cabinets (mine loved playing with containers at that age) not the biggest deal to clean up and keeps them busy for hours.
A walker type of toy is great for that age.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics