Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Emotions/ feelings

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:07 pm
Was having a conversation with someone discussing the possibility of aspergers in a relative. The conversation was interesting and I would like to hear opinions on it.

My opinion is that we are born with emotions, it’s a vibe we give off. its part of our daily living and comes out in our actions and words. The more close people are, the more they connect emotionally.
The other opinion was that it’s something that has to be worked on and when someone is in a good place / relationship with a person they are able to give off emotions and connect emotionally.

We couldn’t agree so the question is do emotions and feeling come naturally or is it something that has to be worked on.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:31 pm
You’re born with feelings. How you express them, how you suppress them, how you react to them, how much attention you pay to your own and other people’s feelings, what you do about them, these are up to you and can be modified through practice. Thus, fear, dislike, or excessive attraction to something can often be controlled or even reversed, and we all know too well that love and liking can be changed.

Can people with disorders like Asperger’s learn to emote? Certainly they can be taught to make the socially expected responses; whether or not they can learn to actually feel the associated emotions, I have no idea. Do people with anger management problems learn not to feel anger, or do they just learn how to control their response to it? Do people who are socially rejected learn not to feel insulted, or do they simply bury their feelings and tell themselves that they don’t care?

iluvy

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:59 pm
There is actually a lot of debate about this in the theoretical literature. You may be interested in this paper: Theoretical approaches to emotion

A good book (written in a more popular style, and free with Amazon Prime)
https://www.amazon.com/How-Emo.....HURT6

singleagain

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:11 pm
I think everyone is born with emotions... Just look okay babies and how expressive they are before knowing how to talk.
But... My best friend can sense a lot from be based on our text conversations. She can tell if I'm distracted, upset, or just need time to introvert just from the 'tone' of my texts. Which is very rare to find.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics