Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wedding Gowns in Israel

etg

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:56 pm
I was recently offered an option to invest in a new bridal gown store in Yerushalayim. I am wondering if native Israelis can help me out with some general info on the following topics/questions. Any opinions/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
1. How much did you/would you be willing to spend on a bridal gown rental? How much on a gown purchase?
2. Do you have any interest in purchasing a gown (if sold at the same/slightly higher price than a rental) or do you not have what to do with it and would pass?
3. Are you happy with the current selection available in Yerushalayim? Did you/your child find the gown of your/their dreams?
4. Would you shop in a store that sold non-modest dresses that were then built up and tailored exactly the way you requested or do you have to try on a ready dress before deciding?
5. What is most important to you- service, selection, quality, or convenience?
Thanks in advance for all replies!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:41 pm
I'm also curious about the market/style in yerushalayim versus the in town American places. Is there an American style market in Israel for gowns ?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 7:03 pm
My daughter recently got married in israle. I will respond to your questions below.

etg wrote:
I was recently offered an option to invest in a new bridal gown store in Yerushalayim. I am wondering if native Israelis can help me out with some general info on the following topics/questions. Any opinions/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
1. How much did you/would you be willing to spend on a bridal gown rental? How much on a gown purchase?

I would have like to spend less that 2000 shekel for renting

2. Do you have any interest in purchasing a gown (if sold at the same/slightly higher price than a rental) or do you not have what to do with it and would pass?

A lot of this depends on the girl and her wants and needs. My oldest wants to buy a dress. The younger one didn’t care as long as she got what she wanted. She did not feel the need to keep it.

3. Are you happy with the current selection available in Yerushalayim? Did you/your child find the gown of your/their dreams?

We rented ours in a small moshav near Kfar Saba
It was a nice dress but not the one of her dreams. Mostly because of body issues - but the person who worked with us was so positive and made my dd feel beautiful. She is a bigger person who has an extremely ample breast size. The bridal salons in Tel Aviv made her feel like a cow !

4. Would you shop in a store that sold non-modest dresses that were then built up and tailored exactly the way you requested or do you have to try on a ready dress before deciding?
The dress was a rental and was altered specifically for her body type.
Service was the most important - selection was not great. But the fact she made my daughter feel good about her body helped.
Thanks in advance for all replies!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:32 pm
I recently got married in Yerushalayim. I spent 6000 shekel on a custom rental. It was made just for me and I gave it back after the wedding. It was the dress of my dreams, exactly what I wanted. At each fitting I was able to change things or the dressmaker adjusted things.
I had no interest in keeping it.
I did not want a non tzniut dress that had to be built up. I wanted it to look like it was made for me and it was.
Not everyone is as particular or has that kind of budget.
I used a well known dressmaker who 2 of my friends had just used. We all have “non typical” body shapes and we wanted to look and feel our best on our wedding day.

Re: #5 - it’s all important. My dressmaker has daytime and evening hours to accommodate everyone. The quality and service and impeccable. She know how to deal with kallahs!

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:42 am
1000 NIS was my budget, and I kept to it
No way would I buy a dress for only one day
I found it extremely difficult to find a beautiful tznius gown in Jerusalem. Many were 'almost tznius' but sleeves too short / bodice too tight / low neckline. The quality was very poor.
No, I didn't have time or money to invest in that. I was engaged for 2 months and anxious to have a dress ready to go.
1) Selection! Jerusalem really needs some decent bridal stores. Dresses which are properly tznius according to halacha, but beautiful and suited to young women. Some which I saw which ticked all the tznius boxes were really matronly and the sizes were huge.

etg

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 3:42 am
Thanks for all replies. Would like to add one more question: how far would you be willing to travel to a salon that you heard has great service and quality selection? (Local, small commute/willing to travel to another city)?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 3:44 am
I’d be liking to travel a bit, but too long a commute means less time there. Make sure it’s easily accessible by public transportation.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 4:17 am
I had no time to commute. The dressmaker I used is in the center of town, close to machane yehuda. Location was a big factor. I was there at least 6 times in 2 months for fittings and the pickup and then the drop off.

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 4:49 am
I bussed to all kinds of random yishuvim to find mine. Be sure to have a regularly updated Facebook page- seems to help attract big business
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics