Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
19 month old can't drink from a cup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:31 pm
My 19 month old cannot drink from a cup, she tends to just pour it all in and choke even if it is the tiniest amount (I only give her approx 2mm ) when I try holding the cup for her then she just opens and closes her mouth but doest swallow it. Can it be a problem? what can I do to improve it?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:54 pm
Teach her to drink from a straw.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:04 pm
Try the munchkin 360 miracle cup

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:14 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Try the munchkin 360 miracle cup

My 4 yo can't do it

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 5:06 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
My 4 yo can't do it

That’s interesting. Mine caught on pretty much as soon as we gave it to her when we started transitioning from bottles at 12 months. But I imagine at 4 he can drink from a regular cup?

SYA

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 5:42 pm
We had that with one of my kids. It was tongue and lip tie. Once it was snipped they were able to drink from a cup, straw...

Ask your pediatrician to check. If that is the cause, get it snipped by an ENT who specializes in this. If not done correctly it can grow back.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 6:00 pm
pesek zman wrote:
That’s interesting. Mine caught on pretty much as soon as we gave it to her when we started transitioning from bottles at 12 months. But I imagine at 4 he can drink from a regular cup?

My 8 month old has been able to do it for almost 2 months. If you put a little water on the top and help them tilt it to drink they can learn to suck on the rim for more water. If it’s not a simple fix like that then maybe it’s more of a medical issue like a previous poster said? Obviously not for a 4 year old, for the OP.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:12 pm
This little one has had a tongue tiemail snipped and also has a lip tie which has not been cut. One of my other kids had a swallow disorder which is possiblyth genetic so therefore I am so worried, but she has not had any symptoms of a swallow disorder. I have read about the mirable cup that it is not good for teaching a child to use a cup because a regular cup you just need to control the swallow not suck and the miracle cup you need to only such and not control the flow.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 1:29 pm
You may want to get an evaluation from a feeding therapist. You can try giving thicker liquids so it is easier to control the flow such as thining out yogurt with milk or even a blended vegetable soup ( warm to room temperature) in a cup. You can gradually thin it even more as your child is more successful
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics