Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Purchasing cometz from amazon?

lucky14

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:39 pm
So I know there are lists of stores you can/can't purchase chometz from right after Pesach (depending on if the store was owned by a jew and if they sold the cometz or not or if the distributor is Jewish or not). Firstly: how serious is this? I heard it's "recommended" not to purchase if you don't know- but is this really the halacha?

my real question is- is it OK to purchase chometz items from amazon?

mirror

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:46 pm
It depends if it's from Amazon directly or from one of their numerous sellers. If it's from an individual seller, you should email them directly and explain the situation. That you can only buy from a Jewish owned retailer after a certain period of time has passed.

mirror

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:50 pm
lucky14 wrote:
. Firstly: how serious is this? I heard it's "recommended" not to purchase if you don't know- but is this really the halacha?

Yes. This is the actual Halacha because Chometz that was owned by a Jew on Pesach is forbidden. Many people make the mistake of assuming that buying pretzels from a local Gentile-owned bodega is okay. Actually, the main distributor in Brooklyn of many pretzels to these Gentile-owned bodegas is a non-religious Jew.

lucky14

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:14 pm
mirror wrote:
Yes. This is the actual Halacha because Chometz that was owned by a Jew on Pesach is forbidden. Many people make the mistake of assuming that buying pretzels from a local Gentile-owned bodega is okay. Actually, the main distributor in Brooklyn of many pretzels to these Gentile-owned bodegas is a non-religious Jew.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions