Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Best places in ISRAEL to tour.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:03 am
We are taking our teenage son and daughter to Israel for lag baomer. What were the best, typical, and off the beaten track places you went.
We are looking for all ideas.
Any advice and tips are welcome too.
This will be the first time flying so we want to give them the most memorable trip.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:08 am
Our favorite activity was jeeping. If you like being terrified, go camelback riding at Eretz Bereshit 😄

My kids also enjoyed Rabbi Slifkin’s museum.

Caliber 1 is supposed to be great, but my kids are younger and weren’t that interested in going. Same with horseback riding in Netanya. Both of those are things I would have liked to do and would try to do the next time I’m there.

Oh and they loved the Tel Aviv port.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 6:15 am
Does it need to be close to where you are staying? Are you going to Meron?

If you are up north, there is Tiberias and the whole Kinneret area. Lots of hikes and archaeology digs to check out. Up north on the coast, go to the Nahariya beach, and Rosh HaPina caves. The restaurant at the top of the cliffs is meat/mehadrin. North and inland, are goat farms and artisinal cheese, winery tours, and fun little restaurants. Tzfat will be packed with tourists, and the Artist Quarter will be especially hard to get through.

If you are going to Jerusalem, and you can handle a lot of stairs, definitely do the Kotel tunnel tours, and The City of David. Tickets are not expensive, but I suggest you book online in advance. Be aware that some parts of these tours are VERY narrow, so if you are *ehem* on the larger side, you may not be able to get through the stone passageways. I'm a size 12, and I found it a very tight fit in places. If you are over 5'5", be prepared to scrunch down a lot, or you will hit your head as well.

Going south, there is the Salt Sea, and Masada. Call ahead for information, as websites are often old and inaccurate.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 7:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

If you are going to Jerusalem, and you can handle a lot of stairs, definitely do the Kotel tunnel tours, and The City of David. Tickets are not expensive, but I suggest you book online in advance. Be aware that some parts of these tours are VERY narrow, so if you are *ehem* on the larger side, you may not be able to get through the stone passageways. I'm a size 12, and I found it a very tight fit in places. If you are over 5'5", be prepared to scrunch down a lot, or you will hit your head as well.
]

I'm a size 20 and didn't find the kotel tours to be a problem to navigate. DH is 6' and he had to bend down twice

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 9:12 am
An other different ideas? We will be all over Israel

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I'm a size 20 and didn't find the kotel tours to be a problem to navigate. DH is 6' and he had to bend down twice

She was probably talking about the City of David water tunnel tour. We did that with a large mixed age group and it was a real hit. You get cool and wet which is a good thing on most Israeli spring days. Personally I find touchable history very fascinating but I'm not sure how universal that is... And it's right next to the kosel which is a must-visit so it's a good way to combine attractions into one visit.

Another hit was Ayalon Institute underground bullet factory. In addition to just being incredibly cool, it was a great way to get an appreciation of what went into the current State of Israel.

Basically I like these things that combine fun with content.

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:01 am
Some cool off-the-beaten-track things we did on our last visit - Gan Guru near Tiveria (feed kangaroos!), Nimrod's Castle and Har Bental in the Golan, olive oil and wine factory tours in Katzrin, Eretz Bereishit (may be better for younger kids), drive-through safari in Ramat Gan. I've also heard good things about the Blind Museum, and if the kids like outdoor adventure, check out https://israel-extreme.com/

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:39 am
Oh right, we did the blind museum once and it was amazing. Need to book in advance.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:52 am
definitely do the visual reality experience at the Kotel next to the tunnel tours which is also a must!
wishing you all a wonderful fun meaningful trip!

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:38 am
Winery tour and wine tasting
Jeeping in the dessert and visit the Bedouin’s
Water sports in eilat
Segway tour around Jerusalem
Ir David
Kotel tunnels
We loved caliber 3
Rosh hanokra caves
Tornadoe boating
Tel Dan reserve
Ein Gedi and yam Hamelech
Atving and zip lining in gush Tzion

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:13 am
seeker wrote:

Another hit was Ayalon Institute underground bullet factory. In addition to just being incredibly cool, it was a great way to get an appreciation of what went into the current State of Israel.

Basically I like these things that combine fun with content.

That is what I was going to say!!!
Hands down the Avalon Bullet Factor was our family's favorite.

I went with my husband and 2 teenage daughters (13 & 15- also their first time in Israel)

The same day, as the Bullet Factory, we were able to pick for Leket Yisrael. I would definitely recommend. (What site they need picked will affect how you schedule).

The Blind Museum in Holon was an amazing experience. We also went to the palmach museum in Ramat Aviv that day too. Also really worthwhile.

Pantry Packers, which is Colel Chabad-
runs an amazing tzedaka. We got to make bag of rice with machines which was so cool and a totally different experience from the packing we have done with school and for Tomche Shabbos where you box up 3 onions, 1 bunch bananas, 2 boxes pasta.... (not CVS taking anything from those important experiences and wonderful organizations- just a new experience)

Depending on your ideological beliefs,
I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Gush Katif Museum-in Yerushalaim.

We also made a pizza party for Chayalim Bodedim at the Michael Levin Lone Soldier Center.

I am so excited for you!!! Can I come?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 6:47 pm
I highly recommend the Behind the scenes Old City tour with Tzvi Satt - Tzvisatt@gmail.com

Also, another vote for the Ayalon Bullet factory
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions