Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Career for my smart, hardworking active DS with ADD
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Engineering is a great field but many jobs are desk jobs.

As an engineer myself (best career out there), I would not recommend it for someone who struggles in math (even if he gets good grades) and has hyperactivity. I can sit over my plans for 10+ hours straight and can sit in my office days and days on end. I've run WaterCAD models on a single Project for over 40 hours to get the pressures right. Obviously if that is his dream job, he should pursue it and he can excel, but I wouldn't necessarily route someone like OP's son in that direction if he hadn't expressed prior interest in the subject.

I think the medical field or an attorney could be appropriate for OP's son, but in reality, he can figure it out and choose to be whatever he wants.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:32 am
OP here thank you everyone for great ideas!!! Any thoughts on a General Contractor?? He has expressed some interest in this field. Meeting customers and being on a construction job site.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:42 am
He sounds like someone who might really enjoy the hustle and bustle of a manufacturing shop floor. Entry-level jobs could be process engineer, manufacturing quality, shift foreman, manufacturing value engineer. In many plants, engineers sit right on the floor in an open plan and there is just so much noise and activity all the time. The pace is very fast, lots of fires to put out. I enjoyed it myself, although I am no longer in that industry.

My only reservation is that it can be hard to handle Shabbat and yomim tovim in this field.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children