Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The evening is so hard
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:26 pm
Most kids get up the same time in the morning regardless of when they go to bed. And if they go to bed late & overtired, they might even be getting up earlier than when they go to sleep earlier. And even if they do get up early, it's much a better option than going to sleep late. Kids are better behaved right in the morning.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:13 am
Thank you all for the tips and empathy. I think an earlier bedtime would really help but I’m having trouble getting there. Even when I try to put them to bed earlier they fight it and go to bed late. So I’m going to have to be really structured. I’m thinking 4 pm dinner might be the right idea I just have to get over thinking it’s crazy to eat dinner so early. I’d love to have them in bed by 7, 7:30 latest. Now it’s often 8:30.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:47 am
The afternoon is objectively hard with little ones. There is nothing wrong with finding it overwhelming.

I agree with the others that early supper and a schedule are vital. Serve a real, healthy meal as soon as they get home. Then, weather permitting, play outside for an hour. (Or go to the library or something like that.) Come home, have baths, read them a story while they have cookies and milk, then brush teeth and off to bed.

Don't even think of doing anything not kid related during these hours.

You can make a chart with pictures of every activity so they know what's next. Many children love the predictability of a schedule.

When they are in bed, sit down and put your feet up for a bit. You deserve it!

camp123

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:56 am
I think most of your problems come from a late bed time. Overtired, cranky kids who think they are hungry but are really tired, who are too tired to actually fill asleep

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:14 am
Continue offering interesting food along with the chicken nuggets and pasta. Offer the leftovers or whatever you and dh ate the night before. It might just be easier to do all your cooking once the kids are in bed - whatever you and dh are eating, and something you know kids will eat the next day. (or cook while kids are in school)

Another option which might work better is to give them a hot meal at 4pm, and then they can join you for family dinner when your husband is home at 6pm. Whatever they eat then is a bonus. Kids are much more likely to eat healthy food if they see you eating it.

Also do bulk cooking. Make a big veg and lentil soup on sunday which you can eat every day. Big pot of pasta, rice, etc which can be made into different things.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:42 am
OP, try starting bed time early & put 1 kid to bed at a time at 20 minute intervals.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 1:45 pm
bath happens when it happens and whyen dh is there

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:09 pm
Ruchel wrote:
bath happens when it happens and whyen dh is there

My dh isn’t there until late. And I didn’t mention that I also work part time so I don’t have mornings to meal prep. But I think you all are right, we’re going to try earlier bedtime tonight. Wish me luck!

mom!

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:45 pm
I find that supper is easiest when they are hungry and ready to eat, not when I decide its convenient for me to serve. I personally give when they come home (starting at 3:00) At and that time, they are hungry and willing to eat (almost) anything. After that, I don't mind if they snack eat a bit of junk.
Going out def helps pass time.Not easy when your pregnant though!

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:02 pm
I found alot of the advice here so helpful. Today was early supper and early bedtime and bh I am in such a good mood!
Thanks OP and everyone else for good, practical advice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:08 pm
Well dinner and bath went ok and everyone was tucked in by 7:30/7:45. But they climbed into each other’s beds are they’re still up past 8. Baby is sleeping at least. Will we ever break the habit of going to bed at 8? I guess they are just used to it.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:20 pm
I strongly recommend the z button. My kids use it every night. You can get it on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:22 pm
OP, don't put everyone in together. Put one child at a time & when that kid is asleep, put in the next one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics