Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Social skills 5/6 yr old

Pickle1

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 7:57 pm
does anyone know any practical book I can read to help improve my son's social skills..he's lacking some and just overrall acts very annoying around all of us.
a practical book with hands on methods.
anyone?

cinnabon

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:41 pm
There’s a book called Effie finds a friend. It may be helpful. I know it was helpful for my 4 yo son

smss

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:53 pm
What about taking him to an SLP?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 4:36 am
Google "social stories". There are tons of books out there, for every age level and every situation. They are amazingly effective.

aricelli

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 4:50 am
Besides for books its also effective to play with him to model good social skills. Over exagerate your reactions so that they will impact him and “stick” . Use words to name your feelings- sad, worried etc. If youre sad for eg , show him a very sad face. Say: I am soo frustrated - I think I need to squeeze my stress ball right now- ahhh. You can also “borrow” another child to play with the two of you. (Sorry- I know you asked for books. Off the top of the head I cant think of any specific. I was just thinking that although my son loves books they didnt nearly impact him as much as this. )
My son is more extreme so we’re working with a professional- these were some tips. If I think of any good books I’ll come back here! Good luck!

aricelli

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:00 am
Hi again! So theres this cute series of froggy books- funny stories and they have nice lessons. My sons social worker read him an hilarious one about a frog who goes to school in his underwear and then realizes and tries to hide behing a pole etc. I cant remember why we read that- maybe because he was super sensitive? Also- I’m remembering that cute series we had as kids - remember lowly the worm and friends? Cant recall the name. There was a nice “please and thank you book” - I loved those!

aricelli

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:29 am
Is it ok for me to say one more thing? (I dont want to hog your thread)
In addition to playing board games at his play therapist we would also play act different scenarios with different role act- for example we played cupcake store and we rotated roles- we each got a chance to be the store owner, a happy customer, a frustrated customer. So he got to feel the same experience from different angles, got to see how to talk to different people in his life: authority, chikdren etc, and got to see how how to react to an angry person, how to remain calm while being served etc. it was fun and effective

Pickle1

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:29 pm
op here - tx for the responses. my son may need professional help, or just needs extra help picking up social skills that came naturally to my other kids. Looking for a book to guide me - his mother - how to effectively teach this, or to tell me that he needs professional help. How would I know? Not just to read books to him that have stories about it.

seeker

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:38 pm
That's an interesting question! I'm trying to think if I know a book for parents about this. It certainly would be good to have.

smss

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:07 pm
You can try this book:
You are a Social Detective: Explaining Social Thinking to Kids https://www.amazon.com/dp/0884.....XP83D

What do his teachers say? Do they feel he needs professional help?

seeker

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:11 pm
Social Thinking is great, but the detective book might be a bit much for a 5-6 year old. They have a series of books for younger kids but those are expensive to buy and I haven't seen them around libraries or anything. I'd only invest in it as part of a planned program.

Pickle1

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:18 pm
no. his teachers say he's fine. but I see issues with how he plays with siblings and interacts with neighbors/friends. nothing over the top alarming, but def not regular like my other kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics