Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Gave the mmr today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 11:47 am
I'm trying to imagine what this thread would look like had the situation been the other way around...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 11:49 am
youngishbear wrote:
Thank you, OP, for doing the responsible thing for yourself and your kids. Not everyone who gets measles "naturally" maintains immunity for life, so that's one small point against that argument.

wrong.

nchr

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
wrong.

Actually, that is true. About the same percentage of individuals who do not develop immunity from two vaccines will not develop immunity from the actual measles, especially if the infection occurs during infancy. Think about how many people you know who have had the chicken pox twice - it is about the same with the measles.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:08 pm
nchr wrote:
Actually, that is true. About the same percentage of individuals who do not develop immunity from two vaccines will not develop immunity from the actual measles, especially if the infection occurs during infancy. Think about how many people you know who have had the chicken pox twice - it is about the same with the measles.

Chicken pox is not measles. It happens sometimes with chicken pox and usually if the person had it as an infant under about 9 months old. The only time a person may possibly not develop immunity from the measles is if they are under that age. During this outbreak many people who were fully vaccinated got the measles while there wasn't even one measles case in a person who got natural measles as a child. Anecdotal I know, yet....

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:11 pm
I'm trying to imagine what this thread would look like had the situation been the other way around...

I just heard from someone that her dd was home for weeks with 5 kids because she is a real anti vaxxer. She told the dh to watch the kids for one day because she needed a break. The dh took care of them while she aired out. He took them all to the dr to get the mmr shot.

esuss

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:17 pm
Chicken pox is not measles. It happens sometimes with chicken pox and usually if the person had it as an infant under about 9 months old. The only time a person may possibly not develop immunity from the measles is if they are under that age. During this outbreak many people who were fully vaccinated got the measles while there wasn't even one measles case in a person who got natural measles as a child. Anecdotal I know, yet....

There is an infection that could occur 7-10 YEARS after a measles infection called subacute sclerosing pan encephalitis. Google it - it is very scary.

You also said that many people got measles were fully vaccinated that number in Rockland county was only 2.9% while those not vaccinated is 79.5%.

nchr

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:20 pm

Actually the first case acquired in New Square from a visitor/guest from Israel around Sukkos time was in a woman who claims to have had the measles as a child.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:24 pm
I don't have time to read thru all this but it is negligent not to bring your kid for a well visit in over 2 years, vaccines or not.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks
I was trying to be nonchalant about it, hope my nerves didn't rub off on him too much.
That's the other thing I was worried about, that the minute my kid gets fever dh will blame me...

The pediatrician told me that the MMR is the most painful shot since it all goes into the skin and not into the muscle.
Also, my baby had her shot two weeks ago and didn't get any fever etc. as I predicted (it usually happens around 10 days or so as it takes time to incubate as opposed to other shots where the fever happens right away)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:48 pm
esuss wrote:
There is an infection that could occur 7-10 YEARS after a measles infection called subacute sclerosing pan encephalitis. Google it - it is very scary.

I know that and the fact that they insist on saying it over and over again to scare people raises some questions. An adverse reaction which occurs within 48 hours of a vaccine is generally dismissed as correlation, not causation. A condition that pops up about 10 years after having the measles is a direct result of the virus. Hmmm..

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:50 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I just heard from someone that her dd was home for weeks with 5 kids because she is a real anti vaxxer. She told the dh to watch the kids for one day because she needed a break. The dh took care of them while she aired out. He took them all to the dr to get the mmr shot.

I was referring to a situation where one spouse hides from the other that the kids were not vaccinated.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:40 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Are there ZERO risks to anything?

Do you take antibiotics? (Risks include anaphylaxis, kidney failure, cd colitis, and the less severe ones such as digestive problems & fungal infections.)

Do you not cross the road?

Do you not sit into a car?

Do you not eat? (risk of choking, food poisoning, allergies)

etc..

This is not an answer to the question and is a poor response.

There are risks to everything we do, even breathing. Some have more than others. I will not do something to intentionally harm my child. I know there are toxins in there. Why inject it directly into the body? I don't get into a car knowing that it's a recipe for disaster. But I do know vaccine injury is too close to home = in immediate family. The risk is all too large.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
This is not an answer to the question and is a poor response.

There are risks to everything we do, even breathing. Some have more than others. I will not do something to intentionally harm my child. I know there are toxins in there. Why inject it directly into the body? I don't get into a car knowing that it's a recipe for disaster. But I do know vaccine injury is too close to home = in immediate family. The risk is all too large.

Then the answer to your question is that nobody pro-vaccine says there are absolutely no risks to vaccines. That’s an anti-vax argument, trying to show that vaxxers are lying.

The truth is, there are possible risks from vaccines, but they are statistically less likely than the risks from the actual disease. So it’s basic math. And truthfully, many of the individuals who have adverse reactions from the shots would likely be the individuals to have bad reactions from the measles, too.

And on a side note - people are sharing statistics about casualties from the measles, which is definitely scary. But besides for that, there were many life-altering side effects from the measles, such as deafness and brain damage. Nothing to shrug off as no big deal.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:14 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
A religious exemption is based on psukim in Torah, v'nishmartem etc. it's a personal belief meaning that you dont need a rabbi or an orgainzed group to sign off on it. it says what I believe personally based on my religion, the torah.

That sounds like a personal exemption.

I really wonder if any of these so called Jewish religious exemptions have been tested in court.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:43 pm
A religious exemption is based on psukim in Torah, v'nishmartem etc. it's a personal belief meaning that you dont need a rabbi or an orgainzed group to sign off on it. it says what I believe personally based on my religion, the torah.

I didn't write any pesukim, it was just some letter that I signed. Why does it mean that I cant give any if I don't give all? That's silly.
And I also take issue that they call it religious, it isn't religious unless anti-vax is a religion.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn't write any pesukim, it was just some letter that I signed. Why does it mean that I cant give any if I don't give all? That's silly.
And I also take issue that they call it religious, it isn't religious unless anti-vax is a religion.

Who is 'they'?

IMHO most people who use the religious exemption are people who are against vaccination and are using the exemption to suit their needs (the need being - I want to both not vaccinate my kids and send them to school).

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:46 pm
I have no reason to think that my child will have any adverse reaction, none of my others did. And this one didn't either to her previous vaccines.
I hate the anti vax smug attitude that they are all knowing and educated and accomplished researchers and the rest of the population is nebech living under a rock.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:48 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Who is 'they'?

IMHO most people who use the religious exemption are people who are against vaccination and are using the exemption to suit their needs (the need being - I want to both not vaccinate my kids and send them to school).

Or delay vaccination. Or only give a few and not all. And don't want to be pressured about it.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Or delay vaccination. Or only give a few and not all. And don't want to be pressured about it.

basically the exemption is being abused.

Laiya

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 3:59 pm
cdc states before 1963 vaccine, estimated 3 to 4 million cases of measles in US each year. 450-500 deaths each year. do the math. round it to highest possible number 500/3,000,000 = 1/6000. take middle of each 475/3,500,000= approx 1/7300 deaths.

my febrile seizure numbers come from WHO. many kids stay with the seizures for life. I know of a kid who died due to a seizure in his sleep and seizures were a result of mmr. seizures IS A SIGNIFICANT adverse reaction.

You're comparing an adverse effect of the vaccine to death from the disease. Why not compare adverse effect of the vaccine to adverse effects of the disease?
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics