Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Best way for my dd to study coding?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:03 am
My dd would really like to study computer coding. She is in seminary in Israel this year and is doing half day seminary next year in NY but would like to spend the rest of the day both working and studying coding online. (I'm not sure how realistic doing all those things are) She has already done some short online coding courses in her vacation time/after school on codeacademy and the like. She doesn't want to go to classes, would prefer to work online.

Any suggestions for what the best path for her to take is? Does she need to do a full BA degree in computer science? A coding bootcamp? A masters? She was told by her school career advisor that she is ideally suited to be a computer hacker - not sure how different that is to coding. She may be able to get college credits from seminary but not sure how useful they would be in that field anyway.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:18 am
I think the best plan is to do a good coding bootcamp but not plan on working at the same time. It’s intense and she’ll need to devote a lot of time and energy to it. My lil sis is doing one right now and she barely has time to eat. Then get an entry level job with the plan to build skills on her own by taking additional courses once she’s working and knows more about what she wants to specialize in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:29 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I think the best plan is to do a good coding bootcamp but not plan on working at the same time. It’s intense and she’ll need to devote a lot of time and energy to it. My lil sis is doing one right now and she barely has time to eat. Then get an entry level job with the plan to build skills on her own by taking additional courses once she’s working and knows more about what she wants to specialize in.

hmm she really wants to do this morning seminary program. Do you know of any part time coding bootcamps? Like 3-4 hours a day?

evedHahsem1

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:30 am
I took a coding course at night twice a week online. It was really great. Not sure if shes interested in that. Also kind of pricey

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:32 am
There are definitely part time ones but I don’t know anyone who’s done them so don’t know what the workload is like.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:32 am
She should get a BS if she wants to get a good job as a programmer.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:36 am
There are women-only bootcamps. That’s what my sister’s doing. Really nice to have that option if you don’t go the online route.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:52 am
evedHahsem1 wrote:
I took a coding course at night twice a week online. It was really great. Not sure if shes interested in that. Also kind of pricey

Do you work in the field? What was the name of the course?

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:22 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
She should get a BS if she wants to get a good job as a programmer.

I have a BS and have been working as a computer programmer for over 20 years. I don't think that a degree is absolutely necessary these days, though. I know quite a few people who have been successful without a degree.

If she takes a course, find out about the job placement of people who have taken that course, and whether it's recognized sufficiently.

I know of courses being given in Lakewood, but am not familiar with the NY scene right now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:41 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a BS and have been working as a computer programmer for over 20 years. I don't think that a degree is absolutely necessary these days, though. I know quite a few people who have been successful without a degree.

If she takes a course, find out about the job placement of people who have taken that course, and whether it's recognized sufficiently.

I know of courses being given in Lakewood, but am not familiar with the NY scene right now.

Thanks Chayalle. I am really clueless about this so I would love any help. I am pm-ing you with more questions.

EMEN

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 1:05 pm
She can take this course remotely:

http://www.lakewoodprogramming.com/

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:32 pm
Fullstack.com has an excellent prebootcamp for free

I'm on my phone now otherwise I would post the link

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:00 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I’m not so familiar with the world of “quick courses” but my relatives who have amazing jobs as programmers all have at least an undergrad degree, it’s a basic requirement at many companies.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd would really like to study computer coding. She is in seminary in Israel this year and is doing half day seminary next year in NY but would like to spend the rest of the day both working and studying coding online. (I'm not sure how realistic doing all those things are) She has already done some short online coding courses in her vacation time/after school on codeacademy and the like. She doesn't want to go to classes, would prefer to work online.

Any suggestions for what the best path for her to take is? Does she need to do a full BA degree in computer science? A coding bootcamp? A masters? She was told by her school career advisor that she is ideally suited to be a computer hacker - not sure how different that is to coding. She may be able to get college credits from seminary but not sure how useful they would be in that field anyway.

In these fields experience and portfolios are more valuable than say a masters degree in coding. So I would look into a program where she can get lots of hands on practice with a certificate and spend lots of time hands on practice

evedHahsem1

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you work in the field? What was the name of the course?
no I dont work in the feild but I did it through http://www.lakewoodprogramming.com and was great

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
There are women-only bootcamps. That’s what my sister’s doing. Really nice to have that option if you don’t go the online route.

Thanks. What course is she doing?

Does anyone know of other frum programs similar to the Lakewood one but in Brooklyn?

How much is the Lakewood program?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children