Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Star wars day shabbat menu
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:41 am
eema1 wrote:
I guess you had the crush on Han Solo... lol!
Actually plenty of lessons and great motivational quotes from Yoda.
The idea of working together for a cause that is close to your heart.
Working with people who are different then you are...
Respecting differences
The importance of balance
really all of these are Torah lessons...

I do like your "nidche" idea..

Thanks for answering. And I hope the nidche takes off Wink
(No, no crush on Han Solo. I plead the fifth on your next assertion.) (No 20 questions but I'll say, no one from Star Wars.)

princessleah

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 10:43 am
eema1 wrote:
Why would George Lucas use Steven Spielberg's mother's name when he wrote Star Wars?

They were close friends and collaborators, George helped Steven out with problems on the set of "Jaws" and they talked about Star Wars together as well.
Then they both made Raiders of the Lost Ark together!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:55 am
princessleah wrote:
They were close friends and collaborators, George helped Steven out with problems on the set of "Jaws" and they talked about Star Wars together as well.
Then they both made Raiders of the Lost Ark together!

I'll let someone else match you to the thread title. Very Happy

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:49 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This makes me sad, frankly. You are allowed to have fun when you celebrate shabbos. I'm sorry you live in a world that says otherwise.

Having fun is quite different than bringing a non Jewish movie theme into the sanctity of Shabbos...there are more acceptable ways to have fun on Shabbos. First it started with changing the mitzvah of mishloach manos from a sign of friendship with food gifts to others, into suddenly needing “themes” and trying to outdo others with the more expensive and the more original and the more outrageous. It’s all in contrast to what the mitzvah is supposed to be. Same with this.

Last edited by Cheiny on Thu, May 02 2019, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:51 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
This is adorable! I might steal that idea :-)

Wonderful, now OP can be proud that she’s helped otherwise unsuspecting frum women begin to celebrate Star Wars day on Shabbos. Talk about following in the ways of the non jews. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
or you can look at it differently perhaps and say "Wow! Look how special Jews are. They take gashmius and elevate it lekovod Shabbos"

So now it’s “elevating Star Wars” by celebrating it on Shabbos? Are you serious? That’s not the meaning of taking gashmius and elevating it, and was a failed attempt on your part at rationalizing that it’s ok. It’s not. What’s next? I’m scared to hear....

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:57 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Sorry thunderstorm, but bringing star wars into shabbos is the opposite of special.

I find it sad that so many people think they’re on this earth to have as much fun and distraction as possible, with no thought to the deeper meaning and purpose of the life of a frum Jew.

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:59 pm
princessleah wrote:
Ahem. Princess Leia, ob"m, is named after Steven Spielberg's mother, Leah Adler, who owns a kosher restaurant in Los Angeles. So it has very Jewish roots!

Oh!!! Well then that changes everything! I’d better tell my Rov to make an announcement in Shul that every Jew must celebrate Star Wars as it takes
PReference over kedushas Shabbos, and will no doubt make Hashem proud of us!

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:00 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
How is it different than Purim when people use non-Jewish themes to celebrate?

Who said that’s ok? It’s when we start trying to emulate the non jews that we get ourselves into trouble,,,

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:02 pm
Cheiny wrote:
So now it’s “elevating Star Wars” by celebrating it on Shabbos? Are you serious? That’s not the meaning of taking gashmius and elevating it. Oy. What’s next? I’m scared to hear....

I'm not sure if you are aware but there are all spectrums of frum yidden. Each have different strengths. We all work on ourselves differently in avodas HaShem. For some people taking a secular thing such as a movie theme and celebrating Shabbos with it , makes their Shabbos special. I happen not to be someone that watches these things or would do a movie/tv theme but I respect someone else that feels this will make their experience more special for their kids or whatever. For me it would be lowering my standards to do a theme like that for my Shabbos meal but for someone else with different standards they are doing Shabbos accordingly and that is to be admired. Each according to their level. We don't need to knock another person's Yiddishkeit because we hold differently. I see a beauty when I see yidden observing Shabbos . I don't care if they are eating a Star Wars themed Shabbos Seuda or if they are eating a Shabbos Seuda with the gedolei hador. They are both observing Shabbos.

shyshira

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:09 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Wonderful, now OP can be proud that she’s helped otherwise unsuspecting frum women begin to celebrate Star Wars day on Shabbos. Talk about following in the ways of the non jews. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Well you managed to think for yourself on this one... why do think the rest of us didn't??

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:11 pm
shyshira wrote:
Well you managed to think for yourself on this one... why do think the rest of us didn't??

Because the yetzer hara/satan knows exactly how to encourage people to do the wrong thing.

shyshira

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:14 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Because the yetzer hara/satan knows exactly how to encourage people to do the wrong thing.

So you're what, stronger then the rest of us?

watergirl

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:18 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Who are you to claim to know what the yetzer hara is doing? Maybe its making you feel the need to shame people who are trying to find a way to make the shabbos seuda more fun for their kids, which is on their level and important for them for whatever reason. Not you level, clearly, and thats fine also.

I dont mean this to come across as harsh and I realize it does. I just feel like this is not the time or place to start in with the YH.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, May 02 2019, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:19 pm
How many times Cheiny have you posted your views on this thread? Do you think people are interested in hearing more? No one cares.

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:24 pm
watergirl wrote:
Who are you to claim to know what the yetzer hara is doing? Maybe its making you feel the need to shame people who are trying to find a way to make the shabbos seuda more fun for their kids, which is on their level and important for them for whatever reason. Not you level, clearly, and thats fine also.

I dont mean this to come across as harsh and I realize it does. I just feel like this is not the time or place to start in with the YH.

I was asked a question regarding what would pull others into following and I answered it.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:27 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I was asked a question regarding what would pull others into following and I answered it.

I hear you. But I still maintain that we have no idea what the pull to do star wars shabbos is and its daft to claim to know where Hashem is sending His malach to work. My old shul did a fantastic kiddush lunch for Opening Day (baseball). To each their own. This is cool for someone. Not for you. But that doesnt mean we know what the YH or YT has in mind.

Cheiny

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:28 pm
marina wrote:
How many times Cheiny have you posted your views on this thread? Do you think people are interested in hearing more? No one cares.

You sound very angry. Perhaps you should look into where that emanates from...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:28 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Yeah, that's right. Satan is telling me to have 5 sets of dishes, pots, and kitchen goods, keep scrupulously kosher, keep Shabbat .... but serving cinnamon rolls for dessert will cause the downfall of Judaism.

Its AMUSING. Its FUN. And fun is allowed in Judaism. You don't want to do it? Don't. No one is telling you to do it.

Sort of like shlissel challah. Kind of a Xtian thing. But Jews have adapted it, and if they enjoy it ... go ahead. Its not Satan. Its fun.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:32 pm
'You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.'

- Anne Lamott
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics