Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Keeper of the Lost Cities book series

bigSmile

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:28 pm
Has anyone read the series? I'm trying to figure out if it's appropriate for my 10 year old to read.

kosherbooks.org lists one of the books (Nightfall) as "Not Acceptable", but, unusually for that site, doesn't say anything about why. (Here's the link to that series on the kosherbooks)

I know different people have different standards, so any objective info about potential issues in the series would be useful.

Thanks!

jf

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:32 pm
My kids, ages 14 and 11, love these books. My older one started them about 2 years ago and my younger probably about a year ago. They are both advanced readers. I have skimmed them and found nothing really objectionable, though I am not a super-censor. They are Juvenile fiction, not Young Adult, so that's probably a good indicator. I can tell from my skimming that they are well written.

bigSmile

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:19 pm
Thank you jf!

Any one else...?

SomeoneNew

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:44 pm
I have read them all. My 15yo daughter loves this series. I would say that as the books progress and the characters get older, there is more of what we call "sappy love stuff" but I don't remember anything beyond some hand holding, maybe a kiss (or thinking about kissing someone) and lots of discussion about getting their "match lists" for potential marriage mates.

My teen is annoyed that they are starting to talk more about love, etc as she feels it detracts from the main storylines. I will definitely be pre-reading the next one when it comes out.

They are well written and quite enjoyable. I would think a 10 year old would enjoy at least the first few, but you may want to read first depending on your standards. I pre-read most of my kids' books or check in with a friend who also does that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children