Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to saute large batch of onions in instant pot (ISO)

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:11 pm
Before I make my new Instant Pot fleishig, I want to get some parve use out of it. I made a nice pea soup with enough to freeze. I'll probably do a squash soup too. Next on the agenda is to fry a whole bunch of onions and freeze, because most of my good recipes start with frying onions.

I tried google and I mostly see goopy looking things that are probably a delicious dip or sauce but not really what I have in mind.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to do it?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:50 pm
Chop the onions and use oil instead of butter.
https://lisasdinnertimedish.co.....ions/

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:00 pm
Yeah so that looks like a great goop but not really what I use to start all the savory recipes (think soups, meat, chicken, sidedishes... literally everything can be improved by frying onions first)

champagne

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:07 pm
Apparently the instant pot saps the depth and flavor out of the onions so I’ve never tried it. Could be wrong, that’s what I read though

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:20 pm
Oh. Rats. So what's the point of the saute function?

trixx

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:29 pm
You can saute in the oven

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:29 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh. Rats. So what's the point of the saute function?

It sautes. No different from a frying pan, except that if you use it, it saves using another pan. IOW, sauteing onions in your IP is no different from sauteing them in any other pan. No advantage. Disadvantage is that its small.

Caramelized onions are different, and that's the "goop" you referred to.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 6:51 pm
The best way to do onions, is either the old fashioned way in a skillet, or in a crock pot.

If you want them fried crispy, you need to use a skillet on high heat, and stir them constantly so they don't burn. A deep fryer works even better.

For crock pot, slice a whole bunch of onions, add some oil, and a tablespoon of sugar. Cook for 2 hours or more, and stir every half hour or so. You cannot rush caramelized onions. After they've cooled, I put about one cup of onions in a small zip lock bag, and store all of the bags in the freezer in one large bag.

rofa

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:46 pm
I've sauteed onions just fine in the IP.
Personally, I think goop is goop and it's just there for flavor, so however it comes out will be fine.

Alternatively, you can look for IP onion soup recipes, those might get you caramelized onions that are a bit less goopy.

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:16 pm
rofa wrote:
I've sauteed onions just fine in the IP. .

You mean using the goop method or you have a regular way?

Thanks for the soup tip, I'm going to look into that.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:23 pm
Why would you want to batch fry onions in the IP? You can do any recipe by putting in on sautee (basically turns into a frying pan) but I would imagine a frying pan does the same thing?

The advantage of sautee, for me, is that I can sautee onions and then put in the rest of the ingredients, then set for instant pot to cook quickly. And only make one pot dirty.

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:34 pm
Well I think I just learned that IP is not for batch frying onions. I figured with a saute setting it must be a good gadget for sauteing. I see now that it's basically a good way to start a recipe that you're going to continue with pressure, so it's a little silly to claim that it's a whole function (Magic Pot can do 10 different things! Well, including one that it really doesn't do any better than a regular pot.)

Anyway my objective was to save time by NOT having to put it on saute first every time I cook, and to NOT have to use a frying pan the next 20 or so times I want sauteed onions.

I think I'm going to make a big batch of the goop just for fun, I'm sure I'll find use for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics