Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Son gets nauseous and pale when he bleeds

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:19 pm
In the past, my son has gotten very pale and nauseous when he fell and scraped his knees in the park. I had him lay on a bench and slowly the color came back to his lips. I spoke to the doctor afterwards and he said it's normal, it can be from fear of blood, tensing up, etc.
Today he hurt his finger and the same thing happened.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? alternative mediine maybe? or something else?
TIA

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:32 pm
My kid is the same way. He has a tendency to faint when he sees that he is bleeding no matter how little.
Have him lie down right away and never look at the blood.
It’s called Vasovagal syncope and it’s harmless if you make sure to lie down so you do not faint too much.
It’s good to know that it’s this because if your kid bumps his head and faints from a drop of blood hatzola might think he had a concussion and lost consciousness when really he just fainted. Speaking from experience here.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:59 pm
If I were you I would try accupuncture by a licensed professional with the most extensive training preferably undergone in China. They are familiar with Western medicine and work in tandem with Western medicine . and it is well worth the effort to treat this holistically.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 5:38 am
Ty for the replies.
I was thinking acupuncture but before I shell out the money, I'm wondering if it can help. Are you suggesting it from experience or just a guess?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 5:42 am
You could try CBT, to get him used to the idea that his body has blood, and one of it's important jobs is to push the germs out of a scrape, and that's why you bleed. Let him "make friends" with his blood, and learn about all the really cool things it can do for his body. Superhero germ fighters, and that kind of thing.

I have a friend who is a tattoo artist. She says that the bikers and gangsters are always the ones who faint, sometimes before they even get to the chair! "The bigger they come, the harder they fall" seems to be quite true in her profession.

I asked my phlebotomist about this, and he said that it's been his experience as well. The big macho guys are always the ones who pass out.

nchr

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 5:46 am
This is called a vasovagal syncope and it does not need to be related to an anxiety. I'd just avoid blood for him.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 7:05 am
I'd try to find out first if it's actually the sight of blood that makes him nauseated and faint or if it is pain.

If it is the mere sight of blood you could try to get him used to it. Show him a mild picture of blood or video of nurses drawing blood -- nothing too gory -- and you can have happy music on in the background and give him candy to help lighten the mood.

If it is pain itself that causes nausea/dizziness, then that is actually pretty common. Possibly hypnosis would help.

hotzenplotz

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 5:56 am
accupuncture from experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics