Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Three day getaway
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 7:16 pm
I'm looking to take a three day vacation with my husband. From nyc, up to a 4-5 hour drive.
We're in our fifties, looking to relax and some interesting sightseeing. Minyan and Mikvah a must.
Any recommendations of places and hotels?
TIA

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 7:29 pm
When are you looking to go?

pesek zman

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 9:04 pm
Newport. Def have minyan but not sure about mikvah

doctorima

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 10:00 pm
I was recently in Newport, and they don't have a weekday minyan year-round, only in the summer, chol hamoed, etc., when there are enough visiting tourists to make it. I also doubt they have a men's mikvah available on a daily basis.

You could check with the Arlington in NH to find out about their minyan situation. Tannersville would work great in the summer, when they have a daily minyan. Otherwise, you could go to a place like South Fallsburg, where there's a year-round minyan in the yeshiva and likely a mikvah available.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 10:52 pm
I'm looking to go this week. And I'd love to go somewhere where there aren't so many Heimishe people, like South Fallsburg.
We don't mind driving even 5 hours away, would love to stay in a beautiful hotel and have things to do....
My husband can drive to minyan a couple of minutes doesn't have to be right there.

sweet

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 10:57 pm
Boston?

doctorima

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:04 pm
If there aren't heimishe people, there's not likely to be a men's weekday mikvah, since the two usually go together. You could go to a city like Boston, Baltimore, Philly, etc., where there will likely be a mikvah. But in the middle of nature in May, you're not going to find a minyan and a men's mikvah (unless he'll take a lake). Somewhere in the Catskills is probably your best bet, unless you find out about the Arlington (but again, the minyan will be comprised of heimishe Yidden - it's a catch 22).

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:15 pm
Arlington does not always have minyan year round.
In Niagara there is probably minyan. I'm not sure about mikva. The only place where minyan and mikvah are guaranteed is in a jewish community.

doctorima

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:20 pm
Does Niagara have a year-round weekday minyan? They didn't use to, but it's been a while since I was last there. Buffalo will have, and possibly a mikvah as well, but it's still a lot more than 4-5 hours from NYC. Another option could be Scranton - only 2.5 hours, minyan, I believe there's a men's mikvah but definitely verify, and it's not far from beautiful Ricketts Glen State Park, plus other Pocono options. Otherwise, I think somewhere in the Catskills will be the best bet.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:21 pm
doctorima wrote:
I was recently in Newport, and they don't have a weekday minyan year-round, only in the summer, chol hamoed, etc., when there are enough visiting tourists to make it. I also doubt they have a men's mikvah available on a daily basis.

You could check with the Arlington in NH to find out about their minyan situation. Tannersville would work great in the summer, when they have a daily minyan. Otherwise, you could go to a place like South Fallsburg, where there's a year-round minyan in the yeshiva and likely a mikvah available.

Providence is not far from Newport and has a yeshiva with daily Minyanim (check to verify time)-- http://www.yeshivaofprovidence......html
I believe there is a Kollel that has minyanim as well and there is a mikva if needed. Rabbi Gibber is really nice and may possibly assist with meals. Or look into these options-- https://www.rikosher.org/koshe......html

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:25 pm
I'm wondering if anyone can help me specifically with either Washington DC or Boston.
Hotels, minyan, kosher food....

doctorima

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:55 pm
Boston - most of the kosher restaurants are on Harvard Street in Brookline (not near Harvard University in Cambridge), near a big intersection called Coolidge Corner. There's a pizza shop, falafel, Chinese, and a few more. Hotels in the area are a Holiday Inn and I heard there's a new Marriott there near Boston College. Minyanim in the area - Chai Odom, Kollel, Young Israel, Sefardi shul (Rabbi Hamaoui), Bostoner Rebbe, Rabbi Halpern

DC - hotels can be quite expensive, the shul is called Kesher Israel in Georgetown, and not far away is a great restaurant called CharBar. Depending on your budget, it may be cheaper to stay in Silver Spring, where there are cheaper hotels and multiple shuls and restaurants, and drive or take the Metro into the city.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:42 pm
I think u’d love Boston:) let me know if u have any questions past DRIMA’s super informative one.

pesek zman

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:51 pm
It wasn’t clear from OP that she meant a men’s mikvah. That’s a whole other ball game. (Also she didn’t specify that she’s looking to go now so I didn’t assume summer)

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:00 pm
I meant men's Mikvah and I'm looking to go now.
Can you please tell me which hotels in Boston are close to minyan three times daily?
I tried holiday Inn but got a whole lot of them, wasn't sure whi H was the right one.
Would love to stay somewhere really nice.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:05 pm
I'd recommend staying in silver spring rather than dc. There are much more options for food and minyanim and mikvoas than in DC. Depending on your family size, parking is cheaper than taking a metro .

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you please tell me which hotels in Boston are close to minyan three times daily?
I tried holiday Inn but got a whole lot of them, wasn't sure whi H was the right one.

You can look into these but be mindful as they list non-orthodox minyanim as well-- https://bostoneruv.org//hotels.htm

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There’s a beautiful new AC by Marriott (google it, by Cleveland circle) pretty close to the Jewish area (10 min drive) and daily minyanim/ men’s Mikva. For Shabbos there’s minyanim within 10 minute walk (Chabbad or the kollel) or 20 minutes if he wants more heimish. But ur not in middle of a Jewish/ heimish neighborhood like ud be in falls burg. There’s a beautiful reservoir to walk nearby and a close drive to lots of things to see and do.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:12 pm
http://bostonershul.org/

Heimish shul with mikva and minyanim in Brookline

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:26 pm
There’s a beautiful new AC by Marriott (google it, by Cleveland circle) pretty close to the Jewish area (10 min drive) and daily minyanim/ men’s Mikva. For Shabbos there’s minyanim within 10 minute walk (Chabbad or the kollel) or 20 minutes if he wants more heimish. But ur not in middle of a Jewish/ heimish neighborhood like ud be in falls burg. There’s a beautiful reservoir to walk nearby and a close drive to lots of things to see and do.
Marriott Downtown or Marriott North
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics