Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to scale down standard of living
Previous  1  2  3  Next

aliavi

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 7:08 am
youngatheart4 wrote:
Lots of great suggestions here. However, there are two sides to the equation. Controlling spending is one side and increasing income is the other. If that is doable (selling stuff on ebay, finding a part-time job, etc.) then save every additional dollar of income or use it to pay your bills until you have it under control. Then continue to do it and save (rather than spend) the additional money. I always tried to take care of my "needs" and delay my "wants." Eventually I could afford my wants and my needs!

THIS.

Try a spending freeze. You’ll use up your pantry and freezer and it’s a lot more immediate than looking for things everywhere.

Look at all recurring bills. Anything you pay monthly on a schedule should be reviewed. Magazines and online access even Amazon Prime are good places to start.

Buy fewer products. You can use dish soap on the floors for example.

Make a list of all of your ideas or the ones here and set some time aside to work on it so you don’t feel overwhelmed.

Hatzlacha

imasinger

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 7:28 am
A lot of great ideas here, and many more on penny pinching sites online.

But it's worth reiterating a point a few other posters made.

Take a month to track every penny before jumping in to changes. See where your money is going. Don't just note categories (groceries $150/week), but details in categories - meat, prepared/packaged foods, produce, dairy, disposables, etc.

Do you notice waste? Do you buy yogurts that get half eaten? Use plastic and paper where you could use cutlery or cloth?

There are online budgets that make it easy to record.

After you've started cutting back, keep budgeting! You'll continue to find ways to save, and it will hopefully become habit.

cm

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:04 am
Any possibility of moving to a less expensive home and/or city with lower taxes?

ora_43

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:19 am
I think it's important to keep the psychological aspect in mind.

Cutting back on spending is like being on a diet. In theory, it might be good to think carefully about each and every calorie. In practice - it's best to set up a system that lets you spend as little time as possible thinking about it. The less you think about it, the less you feel deprived, the easier it is to stick to it.

What I prefer is a mix of:

Big wins (ie places you can save a lot) -
- can you get a raise? can your husband? If not - what would you need to do to qualify for a raise (or higher salary in a different workplace)?
- If you have a car - do you really need one? Could you get by with something cheaper?
- Are all of the therapies/programs/etc your kids are in really necessary? Obviously don't cut anything that's actually helping your kids, but don't automatically pay for things just because they have the title "therapy" or "educational."
- Put most of your saving efforts (research, looking for sales, looking for something nice second-hand, etc) toward the most expensive things you buy, things like furniture, plane tickets, summer camp, tuition, electronics.

Automatic savings - amother-seafoam had a good list. See if you can get better rates on things like phones, insurance, bank fees, etc. You do this once and forget about it, and it can save you hundreds of dollars a year.

Tiny, unnoticeable savings - are you using a tiny bit more laundry detergent than is strictly necessary? shampoo? toothpaste? Are you buying name-brand when you can't tell the difference between that and store brand? Is your a/c coming on a half hour before it's really necessary? That kind of thing. You don't save much but it's so easy to develop new habits that the $10/month (or whatever) is worth it.

Gradual lifestyle changes - again, psychology... technically it makes more sense to change everything at once, but I think it's best to do a little at a time. If you spend $1500 a month on groceries (and check your CC bills for the past few months to make sure that's really all you're spending - most of us spend more than we realize), see if you can get it down to, say, $1420 next month. Then the next month, $1380. Until you get to where you're paying as little as possible without being truly uncomfortable.

Be aware of spending - for some people it helps to have a set amount of cash to spend each month. For others, tracking spending over the month is easier. Some people need to take a day to think about each purchase. Whatever works for you.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:25 am
You can save a lot with electricity, water, clothes, beauty (getting nails, eyebrows, hair etc done).

For one month I would just write down what you're spending on what.
Then I would see what I NEED and whats just luxury. Luxury is perfectly fine if you can afford it, not if you can't
Doctors you obviously need. Healthy food aswell. Getting nails done and eyebrows... You could do yourself.

We always cut out " treats" if we need more money that month. We don't buy candy, buy less ready made food, don't eat out. During those months I cut my husband's hair and I go without a haircut and wash my sheitel myself.
There are months when there's more money available, so we don't feel deprived.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:29 am
I love frugality discussions.

Personally, I love the free publications such as the Monsey View and the ads in the free handouts have the grocery sales.

Regarding Amazing Savings, they are cheaper than the hardware, cellphone (accessories), toy and drug stores for items in those categories but the store is a trap for impulse spenders.

I get the frum magazines free at Finkelstein library. The library is a good way to save money in general because a person can save by using their free internet instead of paying monthly.

Fideles bronze is a good deal for health insurance.

I also find good deals at Dollar Tree.

I want to get a power strip that turns off for the laundry room appliances.

I help my family save money just by knowing how to sew and sewing is a bubby camp activity.

Walking for exercise is cheaper than joining a gym.

Walmart is the cheapest place for lots of food and household items.

Five Below probably has the cheapest toys, games, and sporting goods and is next to Dollar Tree on Route 59 in Monsey.

Bingo in Boro Park has lots of great deals as long as you don't impulse shop.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:33 am
DH and I primarily use debit cards. At the end of each month we export our bank history and can see every payment that was made. This is very helpful for planning the upcoming monthly budget. Even if this is too much for you to as a couple you can create an excel file and work on your own. I have found that it’s very hard to cut back without this kind of spending info and awareness. In terms of actual spending there are no major shortcuts, pretty much buy less clothing, cheaper foods, cheaper activities, take good care of personal property, small home/mortgage, buy second-hand. All the same old Smile Hatzlacha!!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:36 am
I’ve saved a ton of money on food monthly by doing all my shopping ONCE a week.

I make a very comprehensive list that also includes all dinner meals for the FOLLOWING week so that my house is fully stocked. This also saves me tons of time as I am only doing one shopping. I do not do online orders as I find they usually make many costly mistakes.

We still have plenty of meat and chicken- it’s all about being creative and shopping in the right stores. I’m not an impulse buyer but my DH is so he no longer does the food shopping.

I also alternate pizza Thursday’s with fresh and frozen. No fast food.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:59 am
Great tips everyone.

I purchase the generic brands for most household items from Target and Walmart, they are much cheaper than brand name and work just as well. Items such as: shampoo, soap, household cleaners, first aid supplies, over the counter medications, laundry detergent , garbage bags, baby wipes, diapers, formula, baby essentials etc.

I try to stick to a weekly budget for the grocery but at times the prices of vegetables goes up or I need to restock up on some condiments etc. so my bill varies slightly week to week .But I've taught myself to USE UP WHAT I HAVE FIRST before running to buy more during the week. I shop once a week and DH does a quick errand for some minor extras lekovod Shabbos (some goodies) on Fridays. If my vegetables in the fridge don't look great and fresh anymore , I'll use it in a stir fry or put up a pot of soup and freeze it for the future. If I run out of chicken or meat, I'll make a dinner using eggs. This week I had that and I made shakshuka for dinner with toast and salad and my family loved it. It's a learning process but eventually you get the hang of it.

LO

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 9:50 am
Great ideas, everyone! Keep them coming! Can you give more examples of what you cut out of grocery bills? What do you serve for suppers?

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:16 am
LO wrote:
Great ideas, everyone! Keep them coming! Can you give more examples of what you cut out of grocery bills? What do you serve for suppers?

We cut back on the quantity but didn't totally eliminate anything. Celery is quadruple the price, at the moment, that it normally is so I put lots of zucchini in the chicken soup. Avocado is also currently overpriced. To me it's more about avoiding making too much of something that can't be frozen and eaten later.
Also, kids love junky "Shabbos" cereal but I let them pick one to keep in the house for Shabbos rather than stocking a variety.

If a food is expensive, just give out smaller portions. That way nobody is totally deprived.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:23 am
LO wrote:

Ground meat can stretch ver fat with meatballs and spaghetti, sloppy joe etc...Family packs of chicken- separate them yourself. You can make fire poppers, schnitzel, grilled chicken etc sides. Sides can be rice, pasta, potatoes, grilled veggies and/or salad. Always start with a hearty soup!

For dairy/Pareve I do a lot of pasta, homemade pizza, pancakes- I stock up on family packs salmon when it’s on sale, and freeze them in marinade.

runninglate

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:32 pm
Someone mentioned cell phone service for eleven dollars a month. Anyone have more info on that? Also, I am currently paying 80 a month for internet, would love a cheaper deal if it exists.

thegiver

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:42 pm
Dont use a credit card
Take cash only and spend what u plan to spend. Have a little bin in ur grocery cart for maybes and save it for the end.
Use gemachs if possible for clothing for little ones. They dont notice.
Dont shop online bec impulse buys unless u r doing plenty of research. I find shopping downtown saves me lots of $$ more than online.
Dont eat out. Buy pizza dough and make it at home.
Have a separate account entirely for savings so u dont have this imaginary bubble of all the $$$ u want to spend and think it is possible.
Dont shop at costco and if u do stick to your list. If u dont fine yourself by cutting out on something else u want so badly.
Farmers market saves me tons of $$ on fresh produce.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:47 pm
Some more specifics:

Teach your kids to watch for baal tashchis. For example when they pore a bowl of cereal, the bowl should be half or 3/4 full, based on how much they eat, and they shouldn't flood the bowl with milk - I have seen little kids who give themselves leave over literally half their breakfast very morning. Then you are buying twice the amount of breakfast food and milk! Same with yogurt - if they don't use the whole thing, you can put it back for the next day, yogurt lasts a long time.

If you live in Brooklyn, you can watch the sales for expensive things. If not I'm sure there are other ideas but this might help anyone else living here.

Chicken cutlets family pack - KRM - always $3.99 now. I use a kitchen scale to divide my chicken into 1 lb portions and freeze, and pull out one each supper (me, my husband, and two toddlers).

Ground beef family pack - KRM or Goldbergs when it goes on sale there - never more than $3.99. I need 12 ounces for a meal. You can stretch it by mixing with vegetables if you need to get more out of it.

Pasta - never more than 88 cents! Shoprite has it on sale often, we stock up.

Shredded cheese - whenever it goes on sale in KRM we stock up for about 3 months and freeze. Tip - always happens pesach time and Shavous time. Never pay more than $2.

American cheese - never pay more than $11. Goes on sale usually Pesach and Shavous, sometimes Rosh Hashana. You can freeze it, too.

Cans of corn, peas, beans - stock up Shoprite, often on sale Thanksgiving time.

Cereal - never buy full price, usually not more than $2.5 in Shoprite.

Soda - my husband's department, he stocks up when it is on sale in Shoprite. I don't drink it.

Snacks for kids - pick the cheaper bags or brands. Do not buy a large back and sandwich bag pretzels and chips - kids resent that.

I check the sales Wednesday and decide where we ill shop. If we want to go to KRM, we go Tuesdays, when it is quieter.

AS a treat, buy a tub of ice cream on sale and make your own milkshakes instead of buying. $7 for a gallon of ice cream is a lot cheaper than 5 milkshakes in a store! We go through maybe two or three of those a year. Same goes for deli-style sandwiches, falafels, pizza, etc.

I NEVER buy ingredients that are very unhealthy or very expensive, unless it's a really big occasion, like Yom Tov or a simcha, maybe once a year - heavy cream, fancy spices, any other kind of meat or cheese, premade freezer food (exception when I am pregnant sometimes), bakery deserts (though my husband does buy extras when we have guests fro Shabbos). I don't make recipes that call for cups of sauces or entire containers, or things like cookie butter or prefried onions unless I can do it myself.

My one cheat is that I splurge and buy the frozen garlic but try to stock up when it is on sale.

You can use leftover pasta to make chicken or deli salad (deli is cheaper prepackaged btw), or if dairy cook with eggs. We do that for Friday lunch often, after pasta for Thursday supper.

Nonfood items -

Detergent from costco or this one from target is probably the best bang for your buck - https://www.target.com/p/arm-3.....1854. I think you can order online, which helps if you don't have your own costco account.

diapers and wipes - amazon subscribe and save - and don't feel the need to buy a good brand. I buy luvs and huggies wipes and save a fortune by making sure I do it when I have 5 things in my subscribe and save. It is ironically a way to splurge - I have saved money by buying cheap extras as a 5th item. Family prime accounts can help both share the cost of the account and getting enough items to order.

Clothing for children - I have a rule - not more than $20 per Shabbos outfit for toddlers. Less weekday, and use hand-me-downs. I buy all online in stores I can return to for free - Macys, old navy, H&M, childrens place, etc. Socks don't pay more than $1 per pair for white.

I do use credit cards, and pay weekly to ensure I don't have huge balances and to keep my score high. I use the ones that get me the best points back and use it for big expenses like electronics and sefarim sets. I get minimum 2 cents back per dollar.

We buy gifts whenever we see sales so when we have an occasion, we have one at a decent price waiting on our shelves.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 2:37 pm
Interesting observation. OP name is LO ...matching to thread title of reducing expenses

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:21 pm
We do all of this already, and still need to cut. Sad

Over 3 years, my landline phone plus DSL bill has tripled from 30/month to 90/month because Verizon refuses to repair or install copper lines. FIOS is way more (120/month), so we switched to Optimum phone plus internet. No success in bringing down this bill.

sneakermom

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:35 pm
So many great ideas!

I tend to waste the most money on convenience.

Convenience food.
Convenient transportation.
Convenient replacement (instead of fixing)
Buying clothing locally for convenience.

Fact is. I sometimes need the convenience. But that’s the biggest money suck.

If I always made my own lunch.
Walked wherever I had to go.
Used public transportation.
Bought my clothing cheaply clothing online.
Cleaned my own house exclusively.
Checked all my own vegetables instead of buying prechecked.
I would have a lot more money!

But we do the best we can.

I do:
Shop in a cheaper grocery.
Shop for clothes twice a year. Not all the time.
Cook most of the time. Minimal take out for dinner.
And I don’t frequent amazing savings and ikea to “find” things I need.

cm

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:42 pm
If you are able to control your spending (some people seem to spend too much with credit cards), use a no-fee/high-rewards credit card and pay it in full every month. You can get 5% back using Amazon and Target cards, and you can find other cards that offer at least 1% back. Use the statement to help you track your expenses.

bzmommy

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:12 pm
Great ideas
How about internet ?? What plans n prices do you pay?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics