Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you or dh make under $50,000 an year?
1  2  3  Next

Do you or dh make under $50,000 a year?
Yes, both dh and I make under $50,000  
 35%  [ 86 ]
Yes, one of us makes under $50,000  
 39%  [ 96 ]
No, neither one of us makes under $50,000  
 25%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:45 pm
Dh and I both make under $50k a year, and dh thinks almost everyone else makes more than that. I don't think we are such a minority. To make him feel better, I decided to make a poll here and see if I'm right. My goal is to see if his job pays so much less than everyone else's. Therefore, please do not include include people who are not working.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:48 pm
how old are you?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:49 pm
How old are you? How many years are you working? Do you work full or part time? Do you have any benefits I.e. Insurance or generous paid sick/maternity leave? Did you get a degree?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:49 pm
My husband is learning so I can't accuratEly add to the poll, but BH I earn over 50k a year.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
My husband is learning so I can't accuratEly add to the poll, but BH I earn over 50k a year.
SO you should click that neither of you makes under $50,000.

We are in our 30s. No degrees. No benefits.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:53 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
How old are you? How many years are you working? Do you work full or part time? Do you have any benefits I.e. Insurance or generous paid sick/maternity leave? Did you get a degree?

Age doesn't factor into this but I agree that the rest of the questions are relevant.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Age doesn't factor into this but I agree that the rest of the questions are relevant.

True. I should have started with the second question.

How many years have you been at these jobs?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 10:57 pm
My husband makes less a year. I don't work

Queen18

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:01 pm
I think we you live is highly relevant to this question. If you live in New York or California, 50k is a lot less in spending power than it is in Ohio for example.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:02 pm
My earnings this year is in the 25,000 range. I work almost full time ~35 hrs a week. Just about covers rent and utilities. Thank g-d for food stamps or we'd go hungry. My husband earned only 3500-4000 since the summer bec hes lost whatever jobs he managed to get within a short amount of time:( I hope he'll start making some $ of his own soon and we'll be able to breathe.
ETA I live in Brooklyn

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
SO you should click that neither of you makes under $50,000.

We are in our 30s. No degrees. No benefits.

If neither one of you has a degree I'm not sure you can expect to make much more than that per year. My husband and I both make over $50,000. We both have master's degrees. I work in a NYC public school so b"h have good benefits in addition to a decent salary. My husband, who isn't currently using his master's degree, has cobbled together 3 seperate jobs which in total bring in over $50,000 per year (though each on its own is not such a great salary).

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:13 pm
I make a lot less than that but I work extremely p/t so not sure I should be voting in your poll.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
If neither one of you has a degree I'm not sure you can expect to make much more than that per year. My husband and I both make over $50,000. We both have master's degrees. I work in a NYC public school so b"h have good benefits in addition to a decent salary. My husband, who isn't currently using his master's degree, has cobbled together 3 seperate jobs which in total bring in over $50,000 per year (though each on its own is not such a great salary).

Neither my husband nor I have a degree and we each earn over 50K per year.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:18 pm
DH makes more than 100K a year and I currently don't work but I bring in income from family investments that total more than 50K a year so I feel like I contribute financially to the marriage.

ccwife

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:20 pm
Sorry OP I skewed the numbers a drop. I voted before reading your post and did that we both make under but my husband's learning. Don't see how to change it...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Neither my husband nor I have a degree and we each earn over 50K per year.
What do you do?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:26 pm
I work p/t and make less than 50k, but would still make less than that working f/t. I have a bachelor's degree and work at a job that I am completely overqualified for (been here for 10 years) - the hours and job flexibility make it worthwhile for me at this point.
My DH has a Masters and bh makes over 100k with great benefits. But it took him 7+ yrs of schooling after 6 yrs of kollel to get to this point

nicole81

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh and I both make under $50k a year, and dh thinks almost everyone else makes more than that. I don't think we are such a minority. To make him feel better, I decided to make a poll here and see if I'm right. My goal is to see if his job pays so much less than everyone else's. Therefore, please do not include include people who are not working.

You're comparing apples to oranges unless you include a location. My mortgage in Brooklyn costs more than 50k/year after taxes, but in other locations with a similar downpayment %, it could afford one 5 years' worth of payments.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:27 pm
I'm not sure how to vote. I make under $50,000 a year but I work part time and I'm also just starting.

My DH makes around 90,000 - no degree - but he makes on the lower end for his profession. People in the same field are making 120,000 to 150,000. No degree. You certainly don't need a degree to make over $50,000.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:27 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I make a lot less than that but I work extremely p/t so not sure I should be voting in your poll.

Same here. B”h dh makes a lot more.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics