Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Just wondering....re: vaxxing
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

happyness

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:51 am
southernbubby wrote:
There were some fresh exposures in Monsey recently. We have the same situation with my grandson when he turns 6 months. One nurse practitioner said that it would not be safe to let the baby be around non vaccinated people, even with the 6 month shot. We will see what the pediatrician says.

I see shuls and schools and camps that exclude them and the government closed some Williamsburg yeshivas so political correctness is against the anti-vax movement.

You are right about that, schools and camps are doing that , more so because the government is enforcing it.
I was thinking more in terms of shuls, mikvahs, vorts, bar mitzvahs, close family gatherings...

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:58 am
delicious wrote:
You are right about that, schools and camps are doing that , more so because the government is enforcing it.
I was thinking more in terms of shuls, mikvahs, vorts, bar mitzvahs, close family gatherings...

Regarding the 6 month shot, it probably takes 2 or 3 weeks for immunity to develop so even if it gives adequate protection, it doesn't do it immediately.
With regards to simchas, the NYT reported that the refusal to vaccinate was dividing families.

happyness

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:17 am
southernbubby wrote:
Regarding the 6 month shot, it probably takes 2 or 3 weeks for immunity to develop so even if it gives adequate protection, it doesn't do it immediately.
With regards to simchas, the NYT reported that the refusal to vaccinate was dividing families.

Wow. That is interesting.

Did you read the post about the mother who could not take her sick child to the grandma because the unvaccinated child would be attending the party?

That is dividing a family-but not in a way that the anti-vax is being excluded Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

I wonder which is more-families splitting up because the anti-vaxxer is attending a simcha, or the baal simcha calling the anti-vaxxer and saying don't come?

In my husband's shul, a guy that recently was unwell got a text telling him don't come to shul, someone has the measles!!
I believe it was clarified as a mistake, but there are members in the shul who their children have had the measles and no one kicked them out at any point.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:38 am
delicious wrote:
Wow. That is interesting.

Did you read the post about the mother who could not take her sick child to the grandma because the unvaccinated child would be attending the party?

That is dividing a family-but not in a way that the anti-vax is being excluded Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

I wonder which is more-families splitting up because the anti-vaxxer is attending a simcha, or the baal simcha calling the anti-vaxxer and saying don't come?

In my husband's shul, a guy that recently was unwell got a text telling him don't come to shul, someone has the measles!!
I believe it was clarified as a mistake, but there are members in the shul who their children have had the measles and no one kicked them out at any point.

It probably is the way you say but some shuls did send emails saying to either vaccinate or stay home but I don't think that it was enforced.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:24 am
top mom wrote:
Dear amothers
There are SO MANY vaccination threads, with vaxxers trying to prove their point, and antis screaming theirs. I'm wondering, was there a single vaxxing Mom who got convinced that she's actually just about killing her kids by giving the MMR(or at least guaranteeing that they'll be autistic), and stopped vaccinating completely because of Imamother. Is there a single non vaxxer here, who saw how baseless the whole theory is and decided to give the MMR, because of Imamother?
Otherwise, let's just stop these endless conversations (nice word for bickering and screaming matches Wink ).
Were you convinced either way?
I'm interested in hearing from you Smile
Edited title, I'm wondering whether I'll get more responses now Wink

Back to the OP: You know what this whole discussion has made me realize? That I, a pro-vaxxer, have not been sufficiently pro-vax. For some reason, I have almost never take the flu vax, except when I've been pregnant. But this is not very rational. The flu kills many more people than the measles, and even the 40-60% protection that the vaccine gives -- it's not a perfect vaccine -- still saves tens of thousands of lives yearly.

Just to point out that this series of discussions has been worthwhile, though perhaps not as we imagined it might be.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:41 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Back to the OP: You know what this whole discussion has made me realize? That I, a pro-vaxxer, have not been sufficiently pro-vax. For some reason, I have almost never take the flu vax, except when I've been pregnant. But this is not very rational. The flu kills many more people than the measles, and even the 40-60% protection that the vaccine gives -- it's not a perfect vaccine -- still saves tens of thousands of lives yearly.

Just to point out that this series of discussions has been worthwhile, though perhaps not as we imagined it might be.

I agree. At my age I would not be able to skip the flu shot but the flu shot is very important for children also. It looks like children and older people are very vulnerable to the flu, as well as pregnant women.
Healthy adults who catch the flu might be able to lessen the severity with antiviral medication but who can afford 10 days in bed if the antiviral medication isn't given as soon as symptoms start?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:52 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

I don't know your personal circumstances, but for many adults in a certain age range, complications measles can be much more dangerous and deadly than the flu.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:59 am
FYI

I received the following text from my neighbor
Del Bigtree is coming to Monsey to speak this Monday at 7:30 at the atrium to give chizuk. Supposed to be kept quiet so the provaxxers don't find out.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:02 pm
Who is Del Bigtree?

ETA: He produced the documentary "Vaxxed"

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:08 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I don't know your personal circumstances, but for many adults in a certain age range, complications measles can be much more dangerous and deadly than the flu.

Well, if you would have the measles as a child you wouldnt have complications as an adult. Its far less complicated in children = fact! Good think ppl expose their kids now so they shouldnt have this fear and can pass on natural immunity to their kids.. unlike vaxxed who dont get that opportunity.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Well, if you would have the measles as a child you wouldnt have complications as an adult. Its far less complicated in children = fact! Good think ppl expose their kids now so they shouldnt have this fear and can pass on natural immunity to their kids.. unlike vaxxed who dont get that opportunity.

LOL

Oh yeah, totally. Measles is so not dangerous for kids. I mean, for example, only 1/1000 kids with measles will develop encephalitis as a result. And like big deal, it's just encephalitis. I totally should have exposed my kids.

happyness

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:13 pm

Listen up, you anti-vaxxer! That is your right to decide. But not for me or my fellow vaxxers. So stay quarantined and far away from us while you are even a drop contagious! Stay away from public places, from sick little children, from newborns, and pregnant women who are not immune.
Or go to an island.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:18 pm

Do you know that measles is the leading cause of blindness in children in countries where there is no vaccine?

That another known side effect of the measles in young boys is sterility?

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:50 pm

So you are not afraid that your kids will end up brain damaged like the 10 year old comatose, ventilator dependent measles victim in Israel?

You have no fear of a full blown case of measles but you are afraid of a vaccine that has been in use for decades all over the world?

You have no fear of your child with measles infecting a vulnerable baby or medically fragile person?

Are you going to the Atrium tomorrow night? If so, you need to ask the people at the anti-vax rally who the shadchanim are for families like yours because the other posters here are not doing shidduchim with people who play fast and loose with other people's health.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:08 pm

If I would measles as a child I would probably go & personally inoculate every unvaxed kid. I mean, why would I want innocent kids suffering? I rather get the vaccine 10x then ch'v get measles even once. and if you don't care, then you think you'd rather want to live in a bunker like my grandfather did?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:34 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
FYI

I received the following text from my neighbor
Del Bigtree is coming to Monsey to speak this Monday at 7:30 at the atrium to give chizuk. Supposed to be kept quiet so the provaxxers don't find out.

It's not kept quite. There was a voicemail advertisement going around and its not only Bigtree. There are a few more coming.

I have no idea how this is happening. I want to go just to see who the big machers in the community are. They're all going to come out of hiding tomorrow.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:11 pm

Measles causes fewer complications in children than adults, but the complications, including pneumonia and encephalitis, can be devastating. Moreover, even after one recovers from measles, one is more likely to become sick in the next few years. It's possible that this is because the measles causes a kind of immunity amnesia. See this article in Nature: https://www.nature.com/article.....15-0.

Why would anyone want to expose their children to such a disease? Whatever you gain in lifelong immunity (which is a dubious advantage, considering how easy it is to get a booster several times as an adult), is hardly worth having a less capable immune system for *years*.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:47 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
If I would measles as a child I would probably go & personally inoculate every unvaxed kid. I mean, why would I want innocent kids suffering? I rather get the vaccine 10x then ch'v get measles even once. and If you don't care, then you think you'd rather want to live in a bunker like my grandfather did?

forget about responding to all the ignorance in response to my post. The information has been posted ovr and over again and people take what they want to hear. But this????? Who on earth has the nerve to curse out like this? You should be ashamed of yourself.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
It's not kept quite. There was a voicemail advertisement going around and its not only Bigtree. There are a few more coming.

I have no idea how this is happening. I want to go just to see who the big machers in the community are. They're all going to come out of hiding tomorrow.

Im sure there will be many like you. Good luck with that. You may be against your friends on your side if you go by that.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 4:06 am
Im sure there will be many like you. Good luck with that. You may be against your friends on your side if you go by that.

What?
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics