Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
20 month old doesn’t talk at all
1  2  Next

stayathomemom1

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:15 pm
My son does not say one word. He just says baba. And if he wants something he’ll point or take your hand and bring you to what he wants. I called a place up to get him evaluated for speech and they said he won’t get approved until he turns 2 bc he does everything else. Anyone have any suggestions? I stay at home with him. Yes he has older siblings so he hears talking and is spoken to in child talk.

cbg

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:17 pm
Out of curiosity
What happens if you don’t respond to his pointing?

dankbar

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:19 pm
Don't give him anything when he points. Pretend you don't understand. He will have no choice & will need to use words. Also when he points tell him this is juice, when you want to drink you say juice. Keep repeating words hundred times & ask him to repeat after you, or ask him what is this? Make him spit back the words to you...after you named it.

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:20 pm
stayathomemom1 wrote:
My son does not say one word. He just says baba. And if he wants something he’ll point or take your hand and bring you to what he wants. I called a place up to get him evaluated for speech and they said he won’t get approved until he turns 2 bc he does everything else. Anyone have any suggestions? I stay at home with him. Yes he has older siblings so he hears talking and is spoken to in child talk.

I don't have any suggestions, but I can relate my experience with two of my children. They barely spoke a word before 2.5, and now they never shut up.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:21 pm
You can always take an aba style approach and reward him for any word. Hold a cookie out for him and don't give it to him unless he says cookie. Or start with simpler words that you know he can say but doesn't. The method sounds much harsher than it is but it really can work.

dankbar

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:23 pm
Some kids don't talk before 2, so its not a major issue yet.
Some are perfectionists & won't say a word till they can say it fully & well.
Some are akshanim.
Not always is it a major development or hearing issue or structural issue.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:26 pm
I would get him checked out, the earlier, the better.
My youngest ds was just like that at that age. He got diagnosed with a serious speech delay and now goes to a special ed gan with integrated speech and occupational therapy. B"H he is improving, but still not up to his age (he's 3.5 y/o now).

By the way, did you ever get his hearing tested? Just saying.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:27 pm
Some kids start talking closer to 3, at this point I wouldn't worry yet. You can't force a child to talk but you shouldn't talk FOR HIM. Like when he points to something or he's trying to gesture something, don't say "oh you want a cookie? You wanna go out....". Maybe this will give him a push.
As a side point, is his hearing ok? Sometimes not so great hearing or fluid in the ear can contribute.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:51 pm
Do you see him struggling to get out a word or sound? Does he mainly use vowels.
He may be apraxic. In that case, do NOT tease him by not responding to his gestures.
You say he has everything else, so I'm assuming he understands you. His hearing is probably ok, then. Start stressing words the are Vowel+Consonant. Like in, on, eat, and up. Read Mr Brown Can Moo Can You? And the Elmo bubble book.
I think you should call another agency. I am a licensed speech pathologist, and I work with EI kids. Most of my caseload is under 2yo.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:51 pm
Are you in the US? Early intervention definitely gives speech before 2. I had for 2 of my kids and they were advanced in all other areas.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:54 pm
stayathomemom1 wrote:
my son didn't talk until2 and is perfectly normal now. My brother didn't talk until 3 and is now married happily w kids and a top learner

stayathomemom1

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:09 pm
Tx al for replying. I live in Brooklyn and called hand in hand. Just left a message for yeled v yalda. He doesn’t have a hearing problem bh. And all my other kids were talking somewhat at this point. Will try all your suggestions

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:00 pm
Get his hearing checked out to be sure. He might have fluid... he may just be a late talker.. my dd just started saying words now she is 3. But shes been receiving speech since shes 18 months( shes was delayed all along)...

mha3484

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:07 pm
My boys were all late talkers BUT they clearly understood everything that was said and could follow simple commands. They smiled, waved, played with toys and showed no signs of social or cognitive delays so I did not stress out about it. I would have been very nervous if they were not not talking and not doing those things at the same time.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:18 pm
stayathomemom1 wrote:

Call another agency.

This could be nothing. It could be something that can be easily addressed with early intervention. But you won't know until you have an evaluation.

Does he respond to oral directions? ("Yaakov, bring Ima the book," or even just "NO") Does he turn to loud noises? Does he babble?

One thing you can do, counter-intuitively, is to speak to him a bit less. If he indicates that he wants milk, don't say "Yaakov wants milk? Yummm. Milk is delicious, and helps Yaakov grow. We love milk!" Say "MMMMMMM-iiiiiiiii-lllllll-k."

naomi2

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:19 pm
dankbar wrote:
Don't give him anything when he points. Pretend you don't understand. He will have no choice & will need to use words. Also when he points tell him this is juice, when you want to drink you say juice. Keep repeating words hundred times & ask him to repeat after you, or ask him what is this? Make him spit back the words to you...after you named it.

Very good advice. Smile, Keep it positive though. if you ask him to repeat something and he gives you any approximation, make a big deal and praise him. And then once he has it you can repeat the word 3 more times in different sentences.

"You want juice? Say 'juice'". Dc loves juice! The juice is yummy! Do you want a straw for your juice? Etc. Just keep doing this all day .

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:14 pm
I'm an SLP. Here are some qs you could monitor for: Does your child use gestures or signs to communicate? Are there non-speech or meaningful vocalizations? Does your child use eye contact? Does your child use objects and toys appropriately? Can the child imitate words? Does your child attempt to spontaneously produce words? How does your child communicate intent? Does your child follow simple commands? Can your child point to named objects in a picture book or in the environment?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:16 pm
There is a great book that can help with this. A therapist recommended it to me.
https://www.amazon.com/Takes-T.....45527

A little pricey but fantastic!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:39 pm
If it helps you to know, I was very much like your son at that age. A younger sibling, obviously able to hear, communicating remarkably effectively primarily with gestures. This was before speech therapy and early intervention were popular. The doctor advised my mother not to respond to my requests unless I used words. She said that lasted about ten minutes! If I was obviously asking for a cookie, it seemed so wrong not to respond. Around age two, I used a word. Eventually I just skipped most of the baby talk and started speaking. Nowadays, an evaluation would probably be in order, but it's good to know that there is a very wide range of normal development.

yerushamama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:55 pm
I would recommend doing a hearing test / checking with an ENT. one child that I watch had a similiar issue - turned out to be severe wax buildup. He could hear others, but not himself.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics