Home

What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Periwinkle


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 5:46 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Are you referring to the book by Munsch?

There is a disclaimer in the book that it is meant for a mature reader- don't remember how it is phrased exactly.

I didn't realize either, and checked it out from the library. My third grade daughter was so disturbed by it.


There's a board book version.

It sounds like both younger and older, mature readers are disturbed.
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 5:48 pm
Curious George, Amelia Bedelia and Clifford are all the same. One little good deed overrides all bad actions.
Back to top

amother




Jade


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:24 pm
Always hated Judy Blume-- her books are obsessed with bathroom (toilet) stuff.

I read a horrible book when I was maybe 10, called On My Honor, about 2 friends who sneak out swimming in a nearby river, 1 drowns and the other is too scared to tell anybody (maybe because he accidentally caused it, I don't remember) but of course it gets found out.

Some bizarre book called A Simple Touch of Affection, iirc, about sibling early teens becoming s*xually attracted to each other because they just didn't know how to handle their hormones and their parents didn't model healthy affectionate touch because they wouldn't touch each other in front of their kids. (And before people rush to condemn recently written books and how low standards have fallen, it was written in the 70s, probably.)

I have no problem with Berenstain Bear books. I am confident that kids can differentiate between any silly portrayal of papa bear and their own father. It always amuses me when people get on their soapbox about this.
Back to top

flmommy




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:30 pm
Most of the PJ library books.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:34 pm
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:37 pm
flmommy wrote:
Most of the PJ library books.


Yes. Almost every one. I remember several years ago getting one about a family celebrating Tishrei and they did Tashlich together in the bathroom. Banging head
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:38 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.


I love flat Stanley! We read it in school with my students.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:41 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.

I was going to say the Flat Stanley books too! That's actually the first book that came to mind. But when I googled it it seems to be a whole series and project now.
Back to top

flmommy




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 6:55 pm
Most of the PJ library books.
Back to top

Amelia Bedelia




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:04 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Always hated Judy Blume-- her books are obsessed with bathroom (toilet) stuff.

I read a horrible book when I was maybe 10, called On My Honor, about 2 friends who sneak out swimming in a nearby river, 1 drowns and the other is too scared to tell anybody (maybe because he accidentally caused it, I don't remember) but of course it gets found out.

Some bizarre book called A Simple Touch of Affection, iirc, about sibling early teens becoming s*xually attracted to each other because they just didn't know how to handle their hormones and their parents didn't model healthy affectionate touch because they wouldn't touch each other in front of their kids. (And before people rush to condemn recently written books and how low standards have fallen, it was written in the 70s, probably.)

I have no problem with Berenstain Bear books. I am confident that kids can differentiate between any silly portrayal of papa bear and their own father. It always amuses me when people get on their soapbox about this.

I really appreciated On My Honor as a kid! Very emotional and thought provoking.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:08 pm
my kid yeshivah printed out pictures of FlAT STANLEY and gave it out to parents
grandparents etc to take pictures of them selves with the flat stanley cut outs on vacation .
they made a buLLutin board on the wall showing themsleves all over the world in different locations with the flat stanley picture s.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:09 pm
Omg, I also don't get Flat Stanley, but my kids love those books. I agree about Amelia Bedelia never facing consequences for messing everything up just because she's a great baker, but I have to say that the Amelia Bedelia series is tops for teaching kids about idioms. Especially if you have very literal minded kids.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:10 pm
you can google Obama holding a Flat stanley ,
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:13 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.


The point isn't how it happened, but the adventures that he can have because he's flat. Great book, imnsho.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:13 pm
Where The Wild Things Are.
This is an award winning book, but I thought it was dreadful. It scared me when I was a kid and I couldn’t sleep if it was in my room.
Back to top

amother




Mustard


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:14 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.


Flat Stanley wasn't a series when I was a kid, just a fanciful book...and the reason that to this day I don't hang anything over my bed, lol.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you can google Obama holding a Flat stanley ,


You can find almost anyone holding Flat Stanley. Except Nomar Garciapara, who didn't return ours.











Back to top

runninglate




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:22 pm
As a child, I was freaked out by the book Eli and the Little White Lie. I would never read that to my kids. I much prefer Curious George who is cute and mischievous. I think people who object to it are overthinking. 😀
Back to top

Einikel




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:27 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You can find almost anyone holding Flat Stanley. Except Nomar Garciapara, who didn't return ours.











Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Mon, May 06 2019, 7:27 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Where The Wild Things Are.
This is an award winning book, but I thought it was dreadful. It scared me when I was a kid and I couldn’t sleep if it was in my room.


Another book we love. His mother brought him his dinner. And it was still hot. Heart
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 12 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Is this simple, or what am I not understanding? 5 Today at 11:43 pm View last post
What color backsplash+counters, dark brown cabinet kitchen
by amother
0 Today at 10:50 pm View last post
Life Insurance experts, what should the premium be for...?
by amother
22 Today at 10:01 pm View last post
What makes a parent get the parent of the year award?
by amother
19 Today at 9:15 pm View last post
Embarrassed student what to do?
by amother
36 Yesterday at 4:27 pm View last post

Jump to: