Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 10  11  12  Next

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:35 pm
True fact...the wild things were based on Sendak's Eastern European Jewish refugee relatives.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:44 pm
runninglate wrote:
As a child, I was freaked out by the book Eli and the Little White Lie. I would never read that to my kids. I much prefer Curious George who is cute and mischievous. I think people who object to it are overthinking. 😀

It's all overthinking 😀 All these things that we're pointing out went over our heads when we were kids, and they go right over our own kids' heads. The classics have staying power for a reason!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:46 pm
Alexander and the No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day.
I bought this book for my kids because I thought it was a classic. I read it and threw it straight into the trash. I don't care that he's having a bad day. It is not okay to ill wish someone because you are upset. Horrible message.

Einikel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:46 pm
Messes of Dresses

I was always disturbed by the fact that Gittel lives alone in a tree.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Oh, I HATE the Yael books. New Shoes? Spoiled child, focusing on clothes, high heels and wedding parties. Nothing in the shoe store is good enough for our princess. Maybe I'm out of touch, but those aren't my values.

Replace all those brain cells holding onto Yael with Tali's Slippers Tova's Shoes.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:05 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Omg, I also don't get Flat Stanley, but my kids love those books. I agree about Amelia Bedelia never facing consequences for messing everything up just because she's a great baker, but I have to say that the Amelia Bedelia series is tops for teaching kids about idioms. Especially if you have very literal minded kids.

I find that the Amelia Bedelia idioms are very high level or even obsolete. Who "draws drapes" these days? What kid knows what "stake the beans" means? Even I don't.

gilamom

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:29 pm
hahaha I was coming here to say Where the Wild Things Are but I see it's already been brought up.

soap suds

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:37 pm
runninglate wrote:
As a child, I was freaked out by the book Eli and the Little White Lie. I would never read that to my kids. I much prefer Curious George who is cute and mischievous. I think people who object to it are overthinking. 😀

Why? What's wrong with Eli and the white lie? I remember liking that book as a kid.

slpmom

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:39 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I find that the Amelia Bedelia idioms are very high level or even obsolete. Who "draws drapes" these days? What kid knows what "stake the beans" meuans? Even I don't.

The new amelia bedelia books (where she is a kid) use more common idioms and are amazing for teaching vocabulary skills.

Miri1

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:41 pm
I don't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for a few reasons.
I found the overall story just silly, but mostly it bothered me that that there was poking fun at the grandparents... we don't poke fun at grandparents, we give them respect.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:41 pm
My father bought a book for my kids which was entitled Walter the Farting Dog.
We have different views on what is appropriate and also what is humorous, apparently.

zohar

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:48 pm
Are you my mother? By P.D. Eastman. Totally traumatized my childhood!! I mean he asked the Snort if it was his mother! Terrifying. In retrospect, the best nest by the same author, it's quite disturbing also. When Mr Bird thinks his wife was eaten by a cat, they show am illustration with a grinning fat sleepy cat with feathers near it's mouth!!
Also, the Amelia Bedilia series where she is a kid. It's not like reading Junie B Jones, where we assume she grows up to be a normal well functioning adult. We KNOW what she turns out like.
I don't have a problem with Bernstein bears or curious George. I think people are reading to much into it. I don't think Papa Bear is protrayed to be nearly as bad as people claim, and I think kids get that George it's a monkey. It's just good light hearted fun.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:50 pm
I use Amelia Bedelia books to teach multiple meaning words, rather than idioms.
Also, I use Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia to teach persuasive writing. They list her pros and cons as a teacher to plan a persuasive letter to the principal to either hire Amelia or not. The books are very versatile and the kids love them.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:50 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Love you forever - found it creepy but only read it as an adult. Not sure how it feels to be a child and read it.

I also find that book creepy. Creepy and depressing.

zohar

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I use Amelia Bedelia books to teach multiple meaning words--the students love it.

I love the regular Amelia Bedilia, but they started a series of her as a school kid, and I find it kind of depressing, because you know that she's not outgrowing it.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 8:55 pm
They are also poorly written and not engaging at all. Imo. I only use the originals.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:00 pm
George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl. I actually found it entertaining as a child but it is such a horrible book.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:02 pm
Miri1 wrote:
I don't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for a few reasons.
I found the overall story just silly, but mostly it bothered me that that there was poking fun at the grandparents... we don't poke fun at grandparents, we give them respect.

That's roald Dahl for you- complete lack of respect for adults.

He also wrote Mathilda, which gave me the creeps as a kid! Father a crook, mother a selfish (abusive?) Mom, brother a swindler-in-training...and
Ms Trunchbull! Who locked the kids into nail-studded cabinets and threw away the key!!!! Who twirled the little girls by their pony tails and sent them flying out of windows!!

Stars

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:05 pm
not a book but in the Yiddish zisha shmeltzer alef beis tape, the hei story scared the wits out of me when I was a kid, as did the lamed katchkes. I had nightmares from those.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:27 pm
Gotta agree with The Giving Tree and Love You Forever (the mother is driving across town in the middle of the night with a ladder strapped to the roof of her car, climbs into her adult sons window at night, and crawls into his bedroom - I mean, seriously??)
Page 4 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children