Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Prisms- Did you find it helpful for a child that is

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:32 pm
Doing great academically? He reads a ton and loves to learn. He writes his own books and comics.

He's Very forgetful-

Disoriented- not coordinated

I wouldnt say he's clumsy but rather that he always makes miscalculated moves sort of

He always bumps into things (mostly because he's too engrossed in his upcoming play which he rarely performs because he ends up reading a different story that's even more fascinating and starts planning a play based on that one...)

I wonder if there's anything I can do to help him be more grounded.

Were you successful with prisms for a child with a similar personality?

Please share.

What was the reason you did the prisms?

Who evaluated your child?

Where is the doctor located?

What's the cost?

What are the changes that you see?

Any informative responses appreciated. I'll come back later to read.

Thanks!

paperflowers

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:40 pm
Do you mean prisms on glasses? That has nothing to do with personality or academics. It’s to address a physical issue of they eyes not working together, which is important for vision, depth perception and motor coordination.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:42 pm
paperflowers wrote:
Do you mean prisms on glasses? That has nothing to do with personality or academics. It’s to address a physical issue of they eyes not working together, which is important for vision, depth perception and motor coordination.

Yes that's what I mean.

A few years ago I heard people saying it helped with certain issues so I'm trying to see if that's still the same.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:06 am
It will only help if he has a problem. You need to get him an exam to know that.

It doesn’t sound like his personality quirks have anything to do with his vision.

paperflowers

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:13 am
So it seems your child is spacey (forgetful, engrossed in his thoughts, switches activities/doesn’t get around to things) and motor disfluent. Am I understanding correctly? These can be related or separate.

Motor disfluency can be caused by visual problems. I’m pretty sure prisms are for when the two eyes don’t converge properly and the nerve in one eye is shorter than the other. Does he have a lazy eye or cross eye? Double vision? Really bad motion sickness?

Motor disfluency can also be caused by sensory integration challenges, where the brain isn’t putting together all the sensory information it’s getting. You can talk to an OT about a sensory diet for him. Does he like deep pressure (hugs, being squished between couch cushions)? Some kids just need more/ different kinds of sensory input to feel grounded.

He could also have some ADD tendencies, but as it’s not effecting him academically all that means is that he has a spacey personality. Sensory activities can be good for those kids too, plus just enjoying them for all their amazing traits and not worrying too much as long as they’re happy.

Last edited by paperflowers on Tue, May 07 2019, 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:10 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It will only help if he has a problem. You need to get him an exam to know that.

It doesn’t sound like his personality quirks have anything to do with his vision.

Where can I get an exam?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:21 am
paperflowers wrote:
So it seems your child is spacey (forgetful, engrossed in his thoughts, switches activities/doesn’t get around to things) and motor disfluent. Am I understanding correctly? These can be related or separate.

Motor disfluency can be caused by visual problems. I’m pretty sure prisms are for when the two eyes don’t converge properly and the nerve in one eye is shorter than the other. Does he have a lazy eye or cross eye? Double vision? Really bad motion sickness?

Motor disfluency can also be caused by sensory integration challenges, where the brain isn’t putting together all the sensory information it’s getting. You can talk to an OT about a sensory diet for him. Does he like deep pressure (hugs, being squished between couch cushions)? Some kids just need more/ different kinds of sensory input to feel grounded.

He could also have some ADD tendencies, but as it’s not effecting him academically all that means is that he has a spacey personality. Sensory activities can be good for those kids too, plus just enjoying them for all their amazing traits and not worrying too much as long as their happy.

Thank you so much for this informative post.
I really appreciate the clarity.

I agree with everything you mentioned. No vision issues.
He has some sensory and some ADD tendencies but nothing is intense enough.
In other words an evaluation will not get him approved for therapy.

I love this boy so much.
I want to help him be more part of the regular mundane world.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for this informative post.
I really appreciate the clarity.

I agree with everything you mentioned. No vision issues.
He has some sensory and some ADD tendencies but nothing is intense enough.
In other words an evaluation will not get him approved for therapy.

I love this boy so much.
I want to help him be more part of the regular mundane world.

You can get a private OT. You can try to get reimbursed through insurance

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:37 am
Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:46 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Where do you live?

NY

paperflowers

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:03 am
You can consult with an OT for ideas of what you can do with him at home. Any OT’s here? Or google sensory diet. I think you can get a free evaluation from the school district and you can speak to the evaluating OT for recommendations.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:26 am
paperflowers wrote:
You can consult with an OT for ideas of what you can do with him at home. Any OT’s here? Or google sensory diet. I think you can get a free evaluation from the school district and you can speak to the evaluating OT for recommendations.

Theres nothing like working directly with an OT. There are so many great sensory things for our kids but an OT will zero in in which is best for him. I had one come for eval and he gave great excersises for my son and I to do together. Then he would come to my house sporadically. This kept the cost down. OT is really wonderful

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:44 am
I did prism glasses for focus and special awareness. I find it helped improve my sons performance somewhat. It’s not magic to only rely on that. I did this with OT therapy. It definitely helped improve his focus. He’s less fidgety and learnsand reads better. All this is very subtle changes so you might not see it right away. My son himself realized that it helps him and told me when he doesn’t wear it and riding his bike he crashes into Pple...
I was told the glasses helps absorb info (like if doing brain gym exercises) or any other therapy you do to get results.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:33 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

That's not necessarily true. My son has glasses since he was an infant. Regular farsightedness. Always had the same type of issues op described but no one thought go pin it on his vision because he already was in glasses. All of a sudden we were forced to switch doctors, and the new doctor instantly said "this child is lost in space". She prescribed prisms on top of his regular number, and he is a different child. Academically he was doing great before that.

Op we used Dr gelfond from Ezra medical in BP.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:42 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
That's not necessarily true. My son has glasses since he was an infant. Regular farsightedness. Always had the same type of issues op described but no one thought go pin it on his vision because he already was in glasses. All of a sudden we were forced to switch doctors, and the new doctor instantly said "this child is lost in space". She prescribed prisms on top of his regular number, and he is a different child. Academically he was doing great before that.

Lime this is extremely interesting. Can you elaborate? What were the symptoms? What did prisms help for? I'm asking for a child who is doing well academically.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:46 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Lime this is extremely interesting. Can you elaborate? What were the symptoms? What did prisms help for? I'm asking for a child who is doing well academically.

Everything took him ages. Walking up the steps, getting dressed, even eating breakfast. Major Farklutzkeit. Very spaced out, constantly bumping into things , forgetting what I asked him to do 30 seconds ago (he still does this, like others said - it's not magic). he has been in OT for a few years, but I have seen significant progress in the short time he's had the new glasses b"h.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:57 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

Thanks.
What's the cost of an exam?

vet techy

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:21 am
I happen to work for an eye doctor that prescribes prisms and I would say that 75% of parents that call all describe their kids exactly like you did.
I would try prisms and I would also have him evaluated for OT.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 2:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
What's the cost of an exam?

Insurance paid for it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics