Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Place with cheap rent and cheap/free tuition for us
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 10:08 am
I currently live in NYC and need to move. We've been kicked out of our apartment. The problem is that we are struggling financially. We cannot afford NY rents, so I'm looking into out of town communities. I'm considering Denver, Cleveland, Rochester, maybe Detroit or Waterbury... but some of the tuitions are scaring me off. I heard about a community that has free tuition, but it was way to modern for us.

Also, some of my kids have speech delays and get a lot of therapy. I know they would get less therapy if we leave NYC, but we at least need a school that will be willing to accept them and work with them. They are doing well academically, but are very shy.

We are modern Yeshivish. I'm okay with a mixed crowd as long as the overwhelming majority of people are not more modern than we are. I would not send my kids to a school that is coed past 1st grade (although we are considering one that is sometimes coed until 2nd.)

So does anyone have affordable ideas for us?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 10:13 am
Won't job opportunities make a difference in this? Where can you get good jobs?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 10:14 am
Denver is not less expensive. How will you finance a move?

doctorima

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:13 am
Look into the communities in Ohio that offer tuition vouchers - I believe Cincinnati and Cleveland, though hopefully locals can give more detailed and current info. There are also communities that are trying to grow, and as part of their sales pitch, they offer free or heavily subsidized tuition for the first year or two, possibly Rochester and Norfolk. I don't have any current info on this, but it's worth looking into.

overworked

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:24 am
maybe either you or your dh can work in the yeshiva or school to receive free tuition?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:29 am
doctorima wrote:
Look into the communities in Ohio that offer tuition vouchers - I believe Cincinnati and Cleveland, though hopefully locals can give more detailed and current info. There are also communities that are trying to grow, and as part of their sales pitch, they offer free or heavily subsidized tuition for the first year or two, possibly Rochester and Norfolk. I don't have any current info on this, but it's worth looking into.

Cincinnati sounds like a good option for you. Cheap, nice, for sure separate after 1st, sometimes from k. It depends on the class.

Salaries are lower, but it still comes out to be more affordable.

I can't promise how much speech your kids would get in school. If you are ok with taking them to children's, that's a good way to supplement. Do they need other therapies?

I'm quoting myself. I don't know about Cleveland, but look into that too. It's bigger and has more options.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:29 am
Maybe South Bend? But wherever you go, make sure you will be able to find work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:34 am
Thank you for the ideas. I will look into them. Of course, we will need jobs, but we first have to decide where to begin our job search.

My children do get other therapies, but I think it's not so terrible if they stop those.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:39 am
I know everyone will throw rotten tomatoes at me
But if you have completely conventional children col schen , special needs
You either need to make a LOT MORE MONEY or consider PS and a Rebbe on the side

It worked out very well for my children bh
And davern davern davern

pearled

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:46 am
Northeast Philadelphia may have what you are looking for and its just a drive away from NYC. Let me know if you would like more info

mirror

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:49 am
I heard that Cincinatti Ohio has free tuition and lots of jobs. The reason there is no job shortage now is that most women in the area are very Yeshivish and do stuff like babysitting. A lot of men are in Kollel there because of the cheaper rent and free tuition. Food is more expensive. My friend freezes cheese and meat and then brings it there.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:55 am
mirror wrote:
I heard that Cincinatti Ohio has free tuition and lots of jobs. The reason there is no job shortage now is that most women in the area are very Yeshivish and do stuff like babysitting. A lot of men are in Kollel there because of the cheaper rent and free tuition. Food is more expensive. My friend freezes cheese and meat and then brings it there.

Truely ft childcare is hard to find here. Max is 830-4 and even that is limited. Would that work for you?

Cleveland might have more options. But I love it here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:56 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I know everyone will throw rotten tomatoes at me
But if you have completely conventional children col schen , special needs
You either need to make a LOT MORE MONEY or consider PS and a Rebbe on the side

It worked out very well for my children bh
And davern davern davern
I see no reason to put my kids in PS. They are doing very well in their frum schools. Public school woud be a huge unnecessary culture shoch for them.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:59 am
What about Staten Island?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:59 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Truely ft childcare is hard to find here. Max is 830-4 and even that is limited. Would that work for you?

Cleveland might have more options. But I love it here.
Thanks. I am not planning to leave my kids in childcare. I work from home and they are all in school.

Can you tell me what you love about Cincinatti?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:03 pm
mirror wrote:

Tuition in Cincinnati is only "free" if you are income-eligible and only for as long as you remain so. If your income is above a certain amount, you will have to either pay the outstanding tuition amount above the location-based voucher (assuming you get one) or get a discount from the school.

Please see the government guidelines for details: http://education.ohio.gov/Topi.....ogram

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:04 pm
Rochester is coed through 4th or 5th depending on the year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:05 pm
flowerpower wrote:
What about Staten Island?
I looked into that. Housing is not that cheap, and the only boys school is very academic. Although my children do well in school, I am not asking for more stress for them. They are struggling socially already.

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:07 pm
Definitely Cleveland
Free tuition
Cheap houses. Really cheap

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:55 pm
I live in Cincinnati. As the other amother said it's only free if you are low income.

In terms of the school- The "federation" used to subsidize the "main" day school highly but has decided that they understandably want the school to become more "independent". They aren't cutting all funding but rather scaling back more and more and each year. I have no idea how the school is going to fill in that money. I believe next year they will be getting 100,000 less and the following year 200,000 less all the way until 5 years will be 500,000 less then what they are currently getting. Just something to be aware of.

The other school where I send doesn't sound like what you want and it was never subsidized by the federation at all but I'm also not sure what will be with it financially as it grows.

I know someone who moved here qualifying for low income. They left because even without tuition you still need money to live and the work situation just didn't work for them here.

When we moved here not so long ago it wasn't considered a super yesheivish community. Honestly we wouldn't have moved here if it was considered that. The community is rapidly changing and I'm not sure what will be with the place but still wouldn't say most are super yesheivish at all yet but maybe that term is relative? To me super yesheivish at a bare minimum requires the guy to always wear black and white and I don't think most guy who aren't rebbeim or in the kollel do.

I think there might be a speech therapist that comes to CHDS but you would have to check.

Either way op I wish you the best luck figuring stuff out.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating