Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Synthroid side effects

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:54 pm
I've noticed some behavioral changes since my child started taking synthroid a few weeks ago. Obviously I'm going to bring this up with the doctor, but the appointment is next week, so until then I just wanted to know if this is a reasonable explanation. I cannot think of anything else that could be behind it.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:25 pm
yes

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:04 pm
Like irritability and anger? Or nervousness and anxiety? I've experienced all of these symptoms if my dose is too high or until it gets regulated .

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:19 pm
Irritability and anger. Been hitting siblings when they annoy him and getting very upset about very minor things.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:21 pm
synthroid is pretty bening...if the dose is right. the TSH has a range of normal, but there is an ideal level for each person. Some people feel best at 1, other people feel best at 2. Even if the numbers show he is in range, he could start having HYPER symptoms if the dose is too high (even if the numbers show him in the normal range).

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Irritability and anger. Been hitting siblings when they annoy him and getting very upset about very minor things.

This happens to me when my dose is too high or if my thyroid is overactive. Discuss it with the doctor , his dose may need to be adjusted. But it's not a reason to be alarmed. I get ticked off very easily and almost feel like I can't control it. Like there is a force behind my anger making me lash out suddenly or just getting irritated over everything .

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:27 pm
Thanks Blue and Thunderstorm, this is reassuring. We're seeing the endocrinologist next week for a checkup and he's getting his blood drawn a couple of days before so the doctor will have the results at the appointment. So I guess whatever the results are, given the side effects we should be discussing a change a in dosing?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:35 pm
OP, his dosage probably needs adjustment. It can take afew tries to figure out the right dosage of synthroid. Is he taking it only with water on an empty stomach an hour before breakfast?

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:51 pm
Last time my synthroid needed an adjustment, I felt like I was possessed by a dybbuk!
I am typically quite even keeled, and I was hyper, irritable, and depressed.

Based on my behavioral symptoms alone, I realized that my thyroid was off.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:16 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
OP, his dosage probably needs adjustment. It can take afew tries to figure out the right dosage of synthroid. Is he taking it only with water on an empty stomach an hour before breakfast?

I know you're supposed to take it an hour before eating, but he's so hungry when he wakes up that he really can't wait more than half an hour. He also can't swallow pills so well with water, so he takes with juice (I know milk is a no no).

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
synthroid is pretty bening...if the dose is right. the TSH has a range of normal, but there is an ideal level for each person. Some people feel best at 1, other people feel best at 2. Even if the numbers show he is in range, he could start having HYPER symptoms if the dose is too high (even if the numbers show him in the normal range).

These are hyper symptoms and I would guess indicate a need for tweaking. It's not so much a side effect of synthroid (like you read about side effects for other drugs) as much as a reaction to overdosing. It's not terrible, it takes time.

I just want to add, OP, familiarize yourself with the pediatric ranges of the thyroid panel. NOT JUST TSH!!!! You need to get the hormones T3 and T4 tested. I know that for adults, the conventional wisdom is that people do well with a TSH in the low range of normal (under 2, even under 1, that's where I hover). You do NOT want the T3 and T4 hormones to be too extreme, midway or into the upper half is best for adults.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks Blue and Thunderstorm, this is reassuring. We're seeing the endocrinologist next week for a checkup and he's getting his blood drawn a couple of days before so the doctor will have the results at the appointment. So I guess whatever the results are, given the side effects we should be discussing a change a in dosing?

Excellent that you get the bloodwork done early. Make sure you get copies of the results.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know you're supposed to take it an hour before eating, but he's so hungry when he wakes up that he really can't wait more than half an hour. He also can't swallow pills so well with water, so he takes with juice (I know milk is a no no).

I vaguely remember something about citrus. Am I right?
My thyroid experience is hyper so there's a lot I don't know.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:37 pm
OP, synthroid should really be taken only with water and 1 hour before eating but his behavior is probably not caused by this. It might even be just about ok to wait 1/2 hour, discuss it with your doctor. It's most probably because the medication needs adjustment. It can take afew tries.

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:42 pm
In some cases, the Dr works out a schedule where patient takes the synthroid before bedtime.

I take mine with lemon water, which was ok'd by my dr

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:06 am
Synthroid is synthetic T4 hormone, which your body needs to convert to T3 to be usable by your cells. Some people do not convert T4 to T3 effectively, which causes the T4 to pool in their blood (Make sure your child is having Reverse T3 tested as well). This can cause all types of symptoms. For those people, they need to take a medicine containing T3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics