Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Title 1 - Tell me about the job

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:41 pm
Hi. I'm currently working on a degree and wondering how people find a Title 1 job in a frum school, and how much it pays. Do you need to go through an agency? Can a school hire me directly? How much do you get paid? Who sets your hours? How is the paperwork?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:45 pm
What degree is needed for Title 1?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:02 pm
Where are you located?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:11 pm
Obviously a lot depends on location...
In the district I work in, not in the tri-state area, all Title I teachers in private schools work through an agency. The pay is $22 an hour and requires a bachelor's degree - doesn't matter the major. They are 1099 employees with no benefits and tons of paperwork.
Definitely not a high-profile job here.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:00 pm
In Monsey schools hire their own title 1 teachers but they are paid through an agency that manages all of the title 1 workers for schools in the local school district. Pay scale is based on level of education. [Degree in any field] The school can decide what to pay you, with a cap, depending on your level of education. So if you don't have any degree they can pay you up to $x. If you have a degree they can pay you up to $y dollars. A masters up to $z dollars. Like orange said it's an hourly job with lots of paperwork and few benefits.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. I'm currently working on a degree and wondering how people find a Title 1 job in a frum school, and how much it pays. Do you need to go through an agency? Can a school hire me directly? How much do you get paid? Who sets your hours? How is the paperwork?

In Brooklyn it’s about 45 an hour through an agency. It’s generally groups of 2-5 kids English Language Arts and Math

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:08 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
In Monsey schools hire their own title 1 teachers but they are paid through an agency that manages all of the title 1 workers for schools in the local school district. Pay scale is based on level of education. [Degree in any field] The school can decide what to pay you, with a cap, depending on your level of education. So if you don't have any degree they can pay you up to $x. If you have a degree they can pay you up to $y dollars. A masters up to $z dollars. Like orange said it's an hourly job with lots of paperwork and few benefits.

Are schools allowed to higher people without degrees to teach title 1 classes? I'm trying to figure this out because I don't think the teacher has a degree.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:11 pm
Quote:
Are schools allowed to higher people without degrees to teach title 1 classes? I'm trying to figure this out because I don't think the teacher has a degree.

As far as I understand schools can hire anyone who they want. The pay will be less if the level of education is less. Also there are different positions within title 1 so they may hire people without degrees for some positions and not others.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:14 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Where are you located?

Thanks for whoever responded with facts and figures.

I'm in Brooklyn, working on a BA. I heard that field doesn't matter. How bad is the paperwork, especially when compared to the regular grading and reports an English teacher needs to do?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for whoever responded with facts and figures.

I'm in Brooklyn, working on a BA. I heard that field doesn't matter. How bad is the paperwork, especially when compared to the regular grading and reports an English teacher needs to do?

I would say it’s less than half the paperwork when I did it two years ago could be things changed. Also less paperwork than p3. It’s not so easy to get a job tho.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:23 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I would say it’s less than half the paperwork when I did it two years ago could be things changed. Also less paperwork than p3. It’s not so easy to get a job tho.

Thanks!

Would you recommend applying to schools or through agencies?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

Would you recommend applying to schools or through agencies?

I would say both
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics