Home

Help me with my chicken soup!
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


HeartyAppetite




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:01 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
This sounds up my alley. Thanks!
I am assuming you make this in a large pot and freeze or make this fresh every wk?
Also do you peel zucchini? sorry to get nitty gritty...

I make it in a large pot. We’re only two adults so I do freeze the rest. However sometimes I let the soup cook down too much and I only get like 4 lbs to freeze, so if your a big family you might have to make it fresh every week.
I also peel the zucchini.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:14 am
I use chicken bottoms. Onion, carrots, zucchini, fresh garlic, sweet potato, parsley root, greenhouse grown parsley leaves, salt, whole black pepper balls, garlic powder.
Back to top

Eureka!




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:26 am
As more vegetables you put in as better it's gonna taste.

I leave the chicken on a tiny flame until it boils. the longer it stays on the fire before boiling it will have a better and more taste of the chicken. When I do a big quantity I leave it for the whole night on the fire.

Once it's boiled I add vegetables.
Kohlrabi, carrots, cloves of garlic, whole onion, zucchini, celery, ...
Back to top

Bnei Berak 10




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:28 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
I happen to not like using fresh dill and parsley cause I have to wash it and cut off the stem.
its so time consuming. I dont like using bags in my soup either.
I just want and easy chicken soup.


jewishmom6, I don't think you'll like my opinion:
Perfect and easy doesn't walk hand in hand. It's either perfect OR easy.

The perfect way:
Use fresh garlic (peeled, because they need to be checked for infestation)
Use fresh onion
Use fresh dill and parsley. Is washing and cutting stems (or wringing them off) even remotely considered time consuming? Can't Believe It I soak mine for 3 min in soapy water and rinse well. Cutting the stems together, not one by one. Approx 4 minutes at the most. That cannot be called "time consuming" by any standards.

The easy way: buy take-away chicken soup.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:43 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
jewishmom6, I don't think you'll like my opinion:
Perfect and easy doesn't walk hand in hand. It's either perfect OR easy.

The perfect way:
Use fresh garlic (peeled, because they need to be checked for infestation)
Use fresh onion
Use fresh dill and parsley. Is washing and cutting stems (or wringing them off) even remotely considered time consuming? Can't Believe It I soak mine for 3 min in soapy water and rinse well. Cutting the stems together, not one by one. Approx 4 minutes at the most. That cannot be called "time consuming" by any standards.

The easy way: buy take-away chicken soup.


Take away doesn't taste good.

Saffron adds a delicious note to chicken soup; otherwise, I am a purest with chicken soup.

As many have already said skip the jarred spices for a bolder taste. Use only fresh. I only use 6 large carrots, 6 stalks celery, 1 onion quartered, peppercorns instead of already ground pepper, fresh dill, fresh parsley, kosher salt.

Leave the skin on and cook just the chicken with water for 2 hours. Skimming the scum off. Then add the above and cook for at least another 2 hours. You can't rush good chicken soup. It's simple and delicious.
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 10:46 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
jewishmom6, I don't think you'll like my opinion:
Perfect and easy doesn't walk hand in hand. It's either perfect OR easy.

The perfect way:
Use fresh garlic (peeled, because they need to be checked for infestation)
Use fresh onion
Use fresh dill and parsley. Is washing and cutting stems (or wringing them off) even remotely considered time consuming? Can't Believe It I soak mine for 3 min in soapy water and rinse well. Cutting the stems together, not one by one. Approx 4 minutes at the most. That cannot be called "time consuming" by any standards.

The easy way: buy take-away chicken soup.


Bei Berak I call the soup that I make "easy."
I also make and italian chicken soup that I make "easy"
What I meant by "easy" is not a ton of too many different veggies.
Back to top

Bnei Berak 10




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:15 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
Bei Berak I call the soup that I make "easy."
I also make and italian chicken soup that I make "easy"
What I meant by "easy" is not a ton of too many different veggies.


Agree, you don't need a ton of different vegetables. Just make sure to use fresh stuff instead of the powdered garlic,onion or dried herbs when you can get fresh herbs. It's a big difference.
Sorry, I went to cooking school so I so over with that industrial bulls.. they try to market and sell us.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:25 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Agree, you don't need a ton of different vegetables. Just make sure to use fresh stuff instead of the powdered garlic,onion or dried herbs when you can get fresh herbs. It's a big difference.
Sorry, I went to cooking school so I so over with that industrial bulls.. they try to market and sell us.


So did I. Maybe that's why ketchup and powdered chicken soup mix repulse me. I have been indoctrinated! I never tied it together before.

Thanks
Back to top

sarahleah88




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:44 am
Do you cover the pot completely, partially or not at all?
Back to top

fiji




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:47 am
Chicken bones, fresh celery, fresh Dill, fresh parsley
Back to top

Bnei Berak 10




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:47 am
Squishy wrote:
So did I. Maybe that's why ketchup and powdered chicken soup mix repulse me. I have been indoctrinated! I never tied it together before.

Thanks

Ketchup is technically a condiment. I use it as a condiment. Never ever in chulent. I don't have any soup mix at home. When you know how to cook and make a proper broth you will never touch that stuff again.
The only thing that the industry can do (and we can't) are the bissli, bamba, doritos etc. Everything else stems from homemade cooking.
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 11:52 am
I simmer uncovered all day. Don’t let it boil.
Back to top

smile4ever




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 12:36 pm
I make an 8qt pot every week. I put in a package bones plus 2 tops (with skin on but pluck the feathers) a bunch of carrots, onions, a parsnip or two, parsley root, sweet potato, zucchini, and celery. I spice with salt and black pepper, sometimes I add in a bit of turmeric and or ginger powder. Let it come to a boil and then lower flame(still a boil)and cook for at least 3 hours...
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 12:46 pm
Thanks so much all for responding with all your tips!
If I do put in lots of carrot and turnip etc I can leave those whole or half?
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 12:52 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
Thanks so much all for responding with all your tips!
If I do put in lots of carrot and turnip etc I can leave those whole or half?


In general, the more you cut up vegetables, the greater the flavor you'll get. That's because more surface area is directly exposed to the simmering water/broth. Sometimes you want a stronger flavor, sometimes you don't. For example, I find that I prefer to leave the onion whole, celery stalks halved, and carrots and parsnips sliced. Slicing through those parsnips is a good upper-body workout, at least for my right arm.

I'd start with slicing the carrots and halving the turnips.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 12:55 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Ketchup is technically a condiment. I use it as a condiment. Never ever in chulent. I don't have any soup mix at home. When you know how to cook and make a proper broth you will never touch that stuff again.
The only thing that the industry can do (and we can't) are the bissli, bamba, doritos etc. Everything else stems from homemade cooking.


Totally agreed on the soup mix; it's an abomination. But family members tell me my cholent is better with a squeeze or two of ketchup in it. There is something about that intense cooked tomato flavor that is different than anything else I have in my cholent. What do you use in your cholent?
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 1:08 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Ketchup is technically a condiment. I use it as a condiment. Never ever in chulent. I don't have any soup mix at home. When you know how to cook and make a proper broth you will never touch that stuff again.
The only thing that the industry can do (and we can't) are the bissli, bamba, doritos etc. Everything else stems from homemade cooking.


Here in Monsey, I have been served with ketchup on sushi in a Chinese Restaurant. I AM NOT KIDDING!

I have had ketchup with pasta. Ketchup instead of pizza sauce on pizza. The crust was pita bread and the cheese was American cheese food. Those are just the worse examples.

And yes, I have had powdered soup mix and ketchup in chulent. One Tsp of powdered soup mix has 840 mg of sodium. That powdered soup mix that is thrown in everything with no consideration of what it does to BP.
Back to top

carnation




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 1:17 pm
Have received lots of compliments and super easy.

1 knob cellery
1 bunch parsley root
3 lg carrots


Bring vegetables with water and salt to a rolling boil. Add chicken bottoms with skin OR chicken bones. Cook at least 2 hours but rather 5 or more hours. The longer you cook it, the better the flavor.
Back to top

lkwdlady




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 1:19 pm
Like others have said-

Skin on chicken for rich flavor

You need more flavorful vegetables.
I use lots of celery and parsnip in addition to the carrots and onion.

Garlic is not necessary in chicken soup. Please don’t use onion or garlic powder. You can use a whole onion if you want more flavor.
Salt and pepper...
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Wed, May 08 2019, 1:27 pm
Super lazy chicken soup.

Pick the meat off of a grocery store rotissary chicken* that is leftover from a previous meal.
Throw it in a pot with water.
Add a chopped carrot, some onion, and some celery.
Simmer for a half hour, or until the carrot is tender.
Adjust for flavor. Add pepper, salt or chicken soup mix (I add the mix.)

(*Save the rotissary chicken bones to make broth for another day.)


My grandmother is rolling over in her grave right now, but some days I want soup FAST.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Baby girl kiddush help
by amother
5 Today at 4:43 am View last post
Outfit help for sisters vort
by amother
6 Today at 2:53 am View last post
All Sold Out - Help!
by MomG
2 Today at 1:42 am View last post
Money DOES help in most situations
by amother
67 Yesterday at 10:19 pm View last post
Help find this boot please
by jkw
2 Yesterday at 8:54 pm View last post

Jump to: