Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help a first time mom!

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:14 am
Hello O Wise Imamoms!

First time mom of a 2 year old here.

Can you impart some of your wisdom with me regarding:

1. *TMI warning* We were away at a hotel for pesach. child ate a diet consisting of applesauce, French fries, snacks, junk, milk, eggs and more fries 🙁. He did not like matza. Naturally his diapers were extremely watery and diarrhea like and yellow. They had a strange odor. We’ve been home Bh over a week and his diet has become much more carb-like again however his diapers are still diarrhea like in color though not as watery. Should I be concerned? Mention this to his pediatrician?

2. Said child loves his milk. He has a bottle at nap time and another at bedtime. Added bonus it puts him right to bed. Now I know drinking from a bottle in bed is bad for both his teeth and ears. His midday bottle will drop as soon as his midday nap drops. My question is the night time baba. Milk is good for developing kids. That I know. But... at what point do I drop the nighttime bottle of he’s really attached to it? If I wait until he outgrows his nap is that terrible? I know his therapist told me to drop it at a year but we really weren’t ready for that. Also of drop the bottle what do I give him? A cup of milk in the morning? Until what she is drinking milk important?

3. Child is extremely smart Bh and understands everything. His difficulty is translating his thoughts into words. His vocabulary is extremely basic. Should I wait it out until three years old or get him speech therapy now?

Thank you!

keym

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:57 am
SuperWify wrote:
Hello O Wise Imamoms!

First time mom of a 2 year old here.

Can you impart some of your wisdom with me regarding:

1. *TMI warning* We were away at a hotel for pesach. child ate a diet consisting of applesauce, French fries, snacks, junk, milk, eggs and more fries 🙁. He did not like matza. Naturally his diapers were extremely watery and diarrhea like and yellow. They had a strange odor. We’ve been home Bh over a week and his diet has become much more carb-like again however his diapers are still diarrhea like in color though not as watery. Should I be concerned? Mention this to his pediatrician?

2. Said child loves his milk. He has a bottle at nap time and another at bedtime. Added bonus it puts him right to bed. Now I know drinking from a bottle in bed is bad for both his teeth and ears. His midday bottle will drop as soon as his midday nap drops. My question is the night time baba. Milk is good for developing kids. That I know. But... at what point do I drop the nighttime bottle of he’s really attached to it? If I wait until he outgrows his nap is that terrible? I know his therapist told me to drop it at a year but we really weren’t ready for that. Also of drop the bottle what do I give him? A cup of milk in the morning? Until what she is drinking milk important?

3. Child is extremely smart Bh and understands everything. His difficulty is translating his thoughts into words. His vocabulary is extremely basic. Should I wait it out until three years old or get him speech therapy now?

Thank you!

I'm going to respond just to #3. In NJ, early intervention is fairly simple. Contrasted to when they turn 3, and you have to fight with insurances, BOE, or pay privately.
I always recommend to get evaluated. If child is eligible, great. Speech therapist will come to the house. If not eligible, well at least you know you're child is not delayed enough.

This is coming from a mom who had at least expensive kids in early intervention (one currently) for really mild concerns. I never once regretted it.
You could pm me for more.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:36 am
Regarding number 1- I've had this with one of my kids. Doctor said that as long as there's some color there it's fine although if it's very pale on a consistent basis he asked me to take a picture to show him. I did once have pure white which was shocking to me but it was only once.

EMEN

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:52 am
NJ EI phone number: 888-653-4463

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:03 pm
1. is he teething?
2. I give milk when lo wakes up, not before bed.
3. Get him evaluated, it can't hurt.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:07 pm
Milk is not good for kids especially not for ashkenazi jews.
Drop the bottle and if you insist on giving him milk then give him in a cup

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:10 pm
I can tell you one thing my doc really believes in. Drop the milk bottle at night!
At that age kids should only have a sippy cup and not a bottle. They get all the nutrition from all the other foods. If you want to give milk then offer it as a drink at meal time.
My child still gets milk in a sippy at nap time in school, they require it. At home I dont.
I give my kids sippy cups with water in bed. It was very hard for them in the beginning but they got very used to it.

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Wed, May 08 2019, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:11 pm
Regarding the milk- some kids are lucky and it doesn't affect them. Many kids are not as lucky and the milk really, really ruins their teeth. I promise you that even if it's difficult to transition to a water bottle now, it's nothing compared to the dentist visits if you don't and he has to pay the price (not to mention the guilt).

I agree that it's so much easier to get kids services via early intervention and would start sooner rather than later.

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:39 pm
Thanks for all your replies. I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. My son does have EI. However, he was not eligible for speech last year. They are re-evaluating him in a month to see if he’s eligible now but I don’t know that he will be and I do know that it takes a long time.

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:42 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Regarding number 1- I've had this with one of my kids. Doctor said that as long as there's some color there it's fine although if it's very pale on a consistent basis he asked me to take a picture to show him. I did once have pure white which was shocking to me but it was only once.

Thank you so much. It definitely has color so I guess I won’t worry about it.

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:44 pm
Sebastian wrote:
1. is he teething?
2. I give milk when lo wakes up, not before bed.
3. Get him evaluated, it can't hurt.

He has most of his teeth.

Why is giving milk after they wake up better than when they go to sleep?

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Milk is not good for kids especially not for ashkenazi jews.
Drop the bottle and if you insist on giving him milk then give him in a cup

Proof?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:48 pm
SuperWify wrote:

When they go to sleep it can pool in their mouth and seriously rot their teeth over time. Even without pooling, it's a lot of sugar to be coating teeth which are then not cleaned as effectively as when they're awake (mouth is drier when sleeping, which allows to decay more quickly).

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
When they go to sleep it can pool in their mouth and seriously rot their teeth over time. Even without pooling, it's a lot of sugar to be coating teeth which are then not cleaned as effectively as when they're awake (mouth is drier when sleeping, which allows to decay more quickly).

Oh yuck. Thanks for the clarification.

cnc

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:46 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Proof?

Make a poll here and see how many people have dairy intolerances and sensitivities.
Way too common

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:56 pm
cnc wrote:
Make a poll here and see how many people have dairy intolerances and sensitivities.
Way too common

That doesn't mean that we should keep milk away from a child before we have proof that they're sensitive. Is it good to limit intake somewhat and make sure there is variety in the diet? Sure. But many of these sensitivities are developed as adults, and there's no reason for a child to lose out on the calcium and brain development benefits from milk.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:19 pm
So... I gave him a bottle of water just now and put him in his crib. I actually discussed this with his EI therapist today and she encouraged me (ok scared me actually) to stop the milk.

Praying that this works out!

Another thing we discussed was his speech. The therapist is trying to get a speech therapist to do an evaluation but things work very slow here. She believes at this point he does need intervention. So I think I am going to reach out to speech therapists in Lakewood as well as the Children’s Specialized Hospital in Toms River. If anyone has experience or recommendations with a toddler therapist in Lakewood or the hospital in Toms River please pm or post here.

Thanks moms!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:22 pm
cnc wrote:
Way too common

Doesn’t mean milk is not good for “Ashkenazi Jews” as stated. Milk is not good for people with a milk intolerance. Hard to say anything more than that as hard fact! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤔

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:46 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Sugar from milk I get all night rots teeth
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics