Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O What's the worst book you've read
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

sequoia

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:17 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I've never read 50 Shades. Not my thing. But AIUI, its S&M. Consensual. Something that some men and women enjoy. Again, not my thing (TMI?) but if others enjoy it, who am I to judge. Its not abusive if its consensual.

Actually, the BDSM community hates 50 Shades of Grey. It portrays an abusive, controlling relationship as BDSM.

There’s some info on the TVTropes page. Basically, the more involved you are in the scene/community/lifestyle, the more you hate it when random vanilla people assume that 50 Shades was an accurate portrayal of a healthy BDSM relationship. It wasn’t.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:27 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I've never read 50 Shades. Not my thing. But AIUI, its S&M. Consensual. Something that some men and women enjoy. Again, not my thing (TMI?) but if others enjoy it, who am I to judge. Its not abusive if its consensual.

Yeah, well, unfortunately I did read it. At least the beginning and random chapters. It's true that S&M is part of the plot, (um... also not my thing very much TMI) but I think it is only part of the whole picture. And the way it is presented makes it a very, very thin line about consensual. It's not just about their intimate lives, he controls her completely and entirely in every area. Not to mention, as a previous poster said, the age and power disparity.

It's just as consensual, IMO, when a woman is abused IRL. How many times do you hear that women are ok with the abuse, agree to it, etc. isn't that the same thing? How many women are in true abusive relationships willingly? The majority. Often, the main focus of therapy is getting her to recognize and admit that shes being abused.

I unfortunately know too many women who are in these kinds of relationships IRL to shrug my shoulders and say, oh well, it's just S&M. Role playing. It's just about a couples intimate life. No, it's not.

ETA: Just saw your post Sequoia. Thank you.

esther11

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:51 pm
The Northwest Passage. You probably never read it, but trust me: don’t bother. It’s 700 pages, the first half is about hunting and drawing pictures of Native Americans. The second half is about one of the hunters and his immoral lifestyle. Ugh.

esther11

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:55 pm
In response to some books listed, I loved:
A Separate Piece
The Da Vinci Code
Harry Potter
Rebecca

Really did not love:
Catcher in the Rye
Wuthering Heights
Twilight
The Cursed Child

Kiwi13

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:01 pm
Somewhere a few pages back someone asked about the themes in The Giver (sorry not sure where exactly that post is)... it’s about the impossibility of a truly utopian society and the immorality that ensues when people try to artificially create it. Someone, in this case the Giver, as well as several others (to a lesser extent) whose jobs entail secrets that are forbidden to tell (euthanasia of the old and the sick and the runaways...) will always need to carry the burden of imperfection for the rest of population. The ending is incredible - the main character escapes with the baby and sleds down a real life hill to the real world. He hears music ahead, which I think in the book is termed “hearing beyond” (“seeing beyond” referred to colors) and it goes on to say that he thought he also heard music coming from behind him, but perhaps it was only an echo, which was such a powerful way to express that the “perfect” world he left behind was never truly free or autonomous- it was only a cheap imitation of real life.

My two cents about The DaVinci Code... Angels and Demons (sequel) was MUCH better. I actually really liked it.

Did anyone mention the YA books “The Face on the Milk-carton” and “Whatever Happened to Janie?” I loved the concept of companion books instead of sequels. It was also an interesting story. I was really into it.

Another cool YA book, though morbid, was “The Killer’s Cousin.”

Kiwi13

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:04 pm
Oh and I really enjoyed The Hitchhiker’s Guide books, even though when I read them I was too young to really understand a lot of it. Very fun though.

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:18 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Maybe I'm sick, but I loved it Very Happy . I wasn't much of a reader when I was younger, but I did read this book and didn't even see the movie until years later. I also loved the one where the woman killed her dh with a piece of meat. Someone already mentioned it, but I don't remember what they said it was called.

Like I said I wasn't much of a reader, but almost all of the ones mentioned that they turned into movies, I saw embarrassed .

Wasn't that a short story for adults by Roald Dahl?

Hidden: 

And the ironic punchline was that when the cops came, she served them dinner--they sat down and ate the murder weapon Confused

Last edited by Laiya on Thu, May 09 2019, 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kiwi13

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:20 pm
Ooooh Shutter Island... was this mentioned yet? AMAZING!

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:24 pm
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I had mixed feelings about it. Didn't dislike it, but couldn't really relate, either

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:27 pm
Flowers for Algernon! It wasn't enjoyable reading at the time, but it left a lasting impression.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:29 pm
Laiya wrote:
Flowers for Algernon! It wasn't enjoyable reading at the time, but it left a lasting impression.

I loved it. It was a book that really left an impression on me. One caveat - it was in the back of my reader so I read the censored version. I read the real version later on and didn't like it as much.

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:33 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I loved it. It was a book that really left an impression on me. One caveat - it was in the back of my reader so I read the censored version. I read the real version later on and didn't like it as much.

Funny. Now I'm curious what they would've cut out?

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:34 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Oh and I really enjoyed The Hitchhiker’s Guide books, even though when I read them I was too young to really understand a lot of it. Very fun though.

Am in the middle of them now Smile

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:35 pm
Laiya wrote:
Funny. Now I'm curious what they would've cut out?

A lot. I only read the uncensored version and there were some not so nice parts. Mainly when he starts discovering his feelings for women... way too much detail about his graphic dreams and thoughts.

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:39 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
A lot. I only read the uncensored version and there were some not so nice parts. Mainly when he starts discovering his feelings for women... way too much detail about his graphic dreams and thoughts.

Ohhh. Got it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:51 pm
Laiya wrote:
Wasn't that a short story for adults by Roald Dahl? And the ironic punchline was that when the cops came, she served them dinner--they sat down and ate the murder weapon Confused

Lamb to the Slaughter. It came up on the other thread.

aricelli

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:01 pm
Anyone for medical mystery writers? Robin Cook, Michal Chrichton, Tess Gerritson, Harlan Coben
Closest I ever got to my secret fantasy of my youth of being a doctor

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Lamb to the Slaughter. It came up on the other thread.

Sounds right, thanks

Laiya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:08 pm
Anyone read Pride and Prejudice, or Sense and Sensibility?

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:07 pm
Laiya wrote:
Wasn't that a short story for adults by Roald Dahl? And the ironic punchline was (scroll up for spoiler)

Spoiler alert

Last edited by youngishbear on Thu, May 09 2019, 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics