Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What drink do you give after going off formula at a year
Previous  1  2  3  Next

agreer

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 3:28 pm
Aylat wrote:
Whole milk. They really need the fat.

THIS.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:43 pm
16 to 20 ounces of whole milk a day, plus vegetables, starches, and proteins introduced slowly.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:46 pm
Aylat wrote:

Why davka from milk and not from any other source?

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:06 pm
Aylat wrote:

This. They need the fat for their developing brains.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:11 pm
My son is 19months and after 12 months, has been having whole milk bottles ever since. the dr. said that he should be having about 24oz. he also has tons of fruits and veg, yogurts, chicken, and some ww grains.
but yes, whole milk is very imp for brain development.

abaker

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:26 pm
Water,almond milk,oat milk,watered down juice. Focus on getting healthy fats from whole foods like nut butter or avocado.

Fabulous

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:41 pm
I also give whole milk until around 2 (at bedtime and naptime watered down a bit with some hot water to make it warm) so it comes out to about 12-18 oz a day. The rest of the day they drink water with meals and in general when they are thirsty.

If your child is getting healthy fats from somewhere else, you don't need so much I.e. avocado, full fat yogurt, salmon, nuts (be careful) etc.. Most babies and mommies are not so good about that, so to be safe, many mothers also give the full fat milk to make sure their kids are getting enough for brain development.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:45 pm
I give whole milk. My kids never drank formula. I cant stand the smell! I nursed them all and then at around a year I started giving whole milk.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:48 pm
If he's not a good eater, maybe keep him on the formula or move to toddler formula .
You don't want him to be undernourished

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:18 am
studying_torah wrote:
If he's not a good eater, maybe keep him on the formula or move to toddler formula .
You don't want him to be undernourished

If he's not a good eater, work on resolving the issues contributing to poor eating! Formula/ other drinks only serve as a band aid.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:16 am
Sure denim, it needs to be worked on. But those can take a long time to resolve & it can become unhealthy for the child meanwhile.
This is still a baby at a year old.

Zehava

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:51 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
If he's not a good eater, work on resolving the issues contributing to poor eating! Formula/ other drinks only serve as a band aid.

Lol
The issue is called toddlerhood
And formula isn’t a bandaid it provides vital nutrition.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:57 am
He’s not a good eater on that he eats very little. He’s willing to try new foods but refuses to eat after a few bites. I just ordered toddler formula and will also give him whole milk. I will keep working on feeding real food but I can’t force him to eat.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:46 am
Zehava wrote:
Lol
The issue is called toddlerhood
And formula isn’t a bandaid it provides vital nutrition.

Until you have parents wringing their hands over school age kids wondering why they don't eat. Providing formula and then "nutritional drinks" is a very short sighted way of getting nutrition into kids.

No, it's not called toddlerhood. Other countries don't have a concept of providing liquid nutrition to otherwise healthy children beyond infants.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s not a good eater on that he eats very little. He’s willing to try new foods but refuses to eat after a few bites. I just ordered toddler formula and will also give him whole milk. I will keep working on feeding real food but I can’t force him to eat.

Speak to your doctor about how much he's really expected to eat at this age. Sometimes what parents think is very little is actually perfectly adequate for the child's developmental stage. The problem with formula or too much milk is that it fills kids up and they have no interest in food. This creates a cycle of poor eating- supplementing with liquids- no appetite- etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:55 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Speak to your doctor about how much he's really expected to eat at this age. Sometimes what parents think is very little is actually perfectly adequate for the child's developmental stage. The problem with formula or too much milk is that it fills kids up and they have no interest in food. This creates a cycle of poor eating- supplementing with liquids- no appetite- etc.

I give it after he eats real food.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:58 am
Actually my pediatrician did say to supplement for my child who eats poorly and is not gaining weight.
I use it after dinner to 'bribe' her to eat a reasonable portion and to fill in missing nutrients.
Hatzlacha op, I hope your child gains and grows healthy!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:24 am
Lazy parenting will find a way to be lazy.

I think toddler formula for 12 month old is great. 12 months is pretty young!

My kids both had issues with milk or dairy. Runny noses, congestion..... now at 4 and 5 they are starting to outgrow it.
So milk was out.
I also only gave water. Because if it ain't milk, juice is just sugar....

I didn't know of toddler formula at the time and I struggled a lot with my second. She wasn't gaining or sleeping. And we were both miserable.

Baby cereals are fortifies with vitamins. My kid didn't want that. Only blueberry apple jars! And chicken soup.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:31 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Lazy parenting will find a way to be lazy.

I think toddler formula for 12 month old is great. 12 months is pretty young!

My kids both had issues with milk or dairy. Runny noses, congestion..... now at 4 and 5 they are starting to outgrow it.
So milk was out.
I also only gave water. Because if it ain't milk, juice is just sugar....

I didn't know of toddler formula at the time and I struggled a lot with my second. She wasn't gaining or sleeping. And we were both miserable.

Baby cereals are fortifies with vitamins. My kid didn't want that. Only blueberry apple jars! And chicken soup.

Where does lazy parenting come in here? I"m trying my best to feed my baby properly! I wouldn't have this post up if not.

Interesting you mention about the milk- I'm a bit concerned about that. I am going to start him on whole milk soon. How will I know if he's okay on it? Like how did you know the milk specifically caused the runny noses?

yerushamama

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:42 am
My kids drank some whole milk, but mostly water. They were all good eaters and got most of their nutrition through foods (I loved the recipes from the What to Expect books). Two of my grandchildren were severely allergic at 12 months, and had mostly Nutramigen - ugh! I know they needed it, but the smell!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics