Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Knaidelach Recipe
1  2  Next

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:26 pm
Looking for an easy and yummy knaidel recipe. I had been making firmer ones but wanted to experiment with a more fluffy one. (The one I tried came out too soft and fell apart too easily. There were pieces all over the pot.) So I’m looking for a tried and true recipe! (And yes I did get the idea to ask this from the chicken soup thread Smile) Very Happy

motherperson

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:33 pm
The matzah ball packs by Liebers or other such brands have instructions in the back and they come out pretty fluffy

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:39 pm
4 eggs
1/2 C oil
1/2 C water or broth (some use seltzer)
1C matzo meal
2t salt

I usually use 1/2 or 1/4 of the recipe since it makes a lot. My mother adds some nutmeg.

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:39 pm
motherperson wrote:
The matzah ball packs by Liebers or other such brands have instructions in the back and they come out pretty fluffy

Thanks but I’d like to try a homemade recipe Smile

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:40 pm
Iymnok wrote:
4 eggs
1/2 C oil
1/2 C water or broth (some use seltzer)
1C matzo meal
2t salt

I usually use 1/2 or 1/4 of the recipe since it makes a lot. My mother adds some nutmeg.

Thanks! When you say a full recipe makes a lot, approximately how many does it make? Also how long do you cook them for?

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:43 pm
It takes over the entire surface of my 8qt soup pot. I refrigerate the batter for at least 20min and I think they need to cook for 20min, but I make them for shabbos , so they obviously cook longer. I add them shortly before candle lighting, but up to an hour prior.

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:46 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It takes over the entire surface of my 8qt soup pot. I refrigerate the batter for at least 20min and I think they need to cook for 20min, but I make them for shabbos , so they obviously cook longer. I add them shortly before candle lighting, but up to an hour prior.

Thanks! I like to make soup and kneidelach in bulk and then freeze so I guess I’ll be making the full recipe. (We’re just 2 adults unless we have guests.)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:49 pm
The firmness / fluffiness has less to do with the recipe -- everyone I know uses a variation of the one that lymnok posted; it's also on the back of boxes of matza meal -- and more to do with technique.

You need to chill the matza meal mixture. Half an hour is the bare minimum; it does better when it's chilled for an hour or two. When you're ready to cook the matza balls, bring a pot of water to a boil. Wet your hands in cold running water and start forming the matza balls. Work lightly and quickly. The more you handle the matza meal mixture and the more you compress the balls, the firmer and less fluffy they will be. You say, however, that your matza balls broke into pieces; if so, it's possible that you used too light a touch. You need to experiment until you see what works for you.

I think you have to cook them for a minimum of 20-30 minutes, but I usually cook them for longer. I don't know exactly how long, but I get a sense for their fluffiness by the way they dance in the pot. Too long is no good either, but if they don't cook long enough they won't absorb enough water and they'll be too firm. When they are done, I take them out of the pot, ideally with a slotted spoon. Then I put them into the chicken soup.

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:51 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
The firmness / fluffiness has less to do with the recipe -- everyone I know uses a variation of the one that lymnok posted; it's also on the back of boxes of matza meal -- and more to do with technique.

You need to chill the matza meal mixture. Half an hour is the bare minimum; it does better when it's chilled for an hour or two. When you're ready to cook the matza balls, bring a pot of water to a boil. Wet your hands in cold running water and start forming the matza balls. Work lightly and quickly. The more you handle the matza meal mixture and the more you compress the balls, the firmer and less fluffy they will be. You say, however, that your matza balls broke into pieces; if so, it's possible that you used too light a touch. You need to experiment until you see what works for you.

I think you have to cook them for a minimum of 20-30 minutes, but I usually cook them for longer. I don't know exactly how long, but I get a sense for their fluffiness by the way they dance in the pot. Too long is no good either, but if they don't cook long enough they won't absorb enough water and they'll be too firm. When they are done, I take them out of the pot, ideally with a slotted spoon. Then I put them into the chicken soup.

Thanks for the tips! For the most part I was doing that but maybe I’ll try refrigerating for longer. The recipe I tried called for baking powder so maybe that contributed to the texture being too fluffy/mushy?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:56 pm
jsb wrote:
Thanks for the tips! For the most part I was doing that but maybe I’ll try refrigerating for longer. The recipe I tried called for baking powder so maybe that contributed to the texture being too fluffy/mushy?

I wouldn't use baking powder. I do think you need to start out with a dense mixture, and I would think that the baking powder would work against denseness. Also, baking powder does not improve taste. It sort of flattens things out. Baking powder is wonderful when it's needed, but it's not like it's a magic ingredient that makes everything better.

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:00 pm
[quote="JoyInTheMorning"]I wouldn't use baking powder. I do think you need to start out with a dense mixture, and I would think that the baking powder would work against denseness. Also, baking powder does not improve taste. It sort of flattens things out. Baking powder is wonderful when it's needed, but it's not like it's a magic ingredient that makes everything better.[/quot

I was just following a recipe I found online...

chaya35

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:10 pm
Kemach matzah meal has a recipe on the container.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:33 pm
jsb wrote:

I was just following a recipe I found online...

I know. Online recipes can be hit or miss ...

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:39 pm
These are delicious.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....ltzer

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
These are delicious.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....ltzer

Thanks!

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:48 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Do you think it’s ok to refrigerate the mixture overnight?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:01 pm
jsb wrote:

I do it all the time, although I have to say that I think they're slightly better, at least appearance-wise, when I refrigerate a couple of hours.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:02 pm
jsb wrote:

It hasn't worked for me when I've tried that. The mixture tends to separate.

jsb

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:05 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
It hasn't worked for me when I've tried that. The mixture tends to separate.

Good to know. Thanks!

shanie5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:02 pm
I use baking powder-about 1/2-1 tsp for the recipe above.
Some people prefer seltzer over water to add to the fluffiness.
And for taste-I prefer to cook my knaidlach directly in the soup.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics