Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Spinoff... I'm scared to smell help

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 3:59 pm
I've always had this fear of smelling bad. I take a shower daily and am very hygienic but I still have this fear.. like bad breath is my worst nightmare.
Do you ever worry that you smell not nice?

Someone mentioned on the other thead that people who use to much washing powder can make one's clothes smell. How can I know how much to use? I don't want to put too little either.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:05 pm
Listen, you can't win 'em all. One person will love the smell of lavender and the other person will be repulsed by it.
My DH bought me a body wash and spray set from Bath and Body Works and I used it to shower one morning. I was the first and only person at the office and in walked someone who said " Ew! It smells like candy in here"... that was the end of me wearing that to work.
A different time I was on a high protein diet and ate fish for lunch ... and the woman that crunched her carrots in my ears and talked on the phone with her mouth full of food made a big deal about my stinky lunch. I never brought lunch to work again ever...in any office and I would come home home famished. Not exactly a good way to diet.
My DH told me that I had to stop caring about everyone else's comments and that I'm entitled to use whatever soap I like and eat whatever food I like. He's got a point.

gingertop

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:07 pm
I totally relate because I'm very sensitive to smell. But if you shower daily, put on a great deodorant, and practice good oral hygiene, you probably smell wonderful and are obsessing over things that people less sensitive than you certainly aren't picking up on.

About washing powder, check the package and it will guide you. Don't just pour in extra. Some detergents are better than others and baking soda specifically neutralizes smells so try things like arm &hammer if available where you live.
And add fabric softener. I know it's not so healthy but I can't do laundry without it.

If the obsession is in any way interfering with your activities of daily living, go to therapy. CBT can train you to be able to live with things that irritate you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics