Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Child Safe Peeler

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:15 pm
I am looking for a peeler that is safe for a 6-8 year old to use.
Dd's teacher had them bring in regular peelers last year for learning. I was quite apprehensive. She came home raving how she learned how use use the peeler safely. She took out a potato to peel and bam - really deep painful cut that took a really long time to heal.
This year pesach she was so disappointed that she couldn't help with peeling potatoes and apples.
Any recommendations?
I saw this in Google searches, but not much more. I don't see reviews on the product.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6.....w_wcB

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:25 pm
Saw this now on Amazon and the reviews seem good for kids

https://www.amazon.com/Curious.....7B4BY

HelloG

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:26 pm
Adorable. Never knew such a thing existed. My daughter dreams of peeling

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:28 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Saw this now on Amazon and the reviews seem good for kids

https://www.amazon.com/Curious.....7B4BY

I've never tried the peeler, but I'm happy with the knives they sell. My kids ages 6-9 also wanted more independence in the kitchen and they work well for that. My 7 year old sliced and cored her own apple after school today using the smaller of the knife set.

Teomima

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:34 pm
Ikea has a really adorable kid's knife and peeler set. I wouldn't exactly call them kid safe, rather kid friendly. They're sharp, but they're small, made for kids' hands. So a child has to learn to be responsible (though I just keep thinking about all those little kids on Master Chef Junior wielding giant chefs knives and working the stove...makes me feel better about these puny little tools in my kids' hands). Mine have been using them since they were seven or eight.

sky

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:58 pm
. I give the disposable gloves and it seems to protect their fingers.

seeker

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:12 am
YOW! I would be really upset at that teacher.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:29 am
sky wrote:
. I give the disposable gloves and it seems to protect their fingers.

I buy the smallest size gloves so the kids can help peel for pesach and whenever!

Teomima

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:36 am
seeker wrote:
YOW! I would be really upset at that teacher.

Hah! When my kids were in kindergarten they were told to bring in graters one day near Chanukah...there they were, thirty Israeli five and six year-olds, hand grating potatoes for latkas on sharp metal cheese graters. I was terrified my kids would come home fingerless but everyone survived fully intact. That was my first lesson in learning how to trust my kids in the kitchen.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:47 am
Wow my 2y has a peeler and knife (both kiddie kutterz)

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 7:59 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Wow my 2y has a peeler and knife (both kiddie kutterz)

Good to know! I think I that's the etsy company I listed.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 8:20 am
ra_mom wrote:
Good to know! I think I that's the etsy company I listed.

The peeler doesn't really work, I think I'll buy
The white one listed above, but the knife they make is great

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
The peeler doesn't really work, I think I'll buy
The white one listed above, but the knife they make is great

Thanks. The white one says it's sharp just more manageable for small hands.

nchr

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 10:15 am
6-8 is an age that can successfully peel - you will just need to remind her to watch her fingers and it is about safety and quality versus quantity (as in, slow down). Would you try gloves?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 11:44 am
nchr wrote:
6-8 is an age that can successfully peel - you will just need to remind her to watch her fingers and it is about safety and quality versus quantity (as in, slow down). Would you try gloves?

Due to OT and PT issues I'm not ready for this. She's super responsible and wants to help and she's really capable but I can't sit there the whole time. She cuts salad up veggies with a plastic knife sometimes, wipes things down with Clorox wipes and uses the dust buster on Fridays... Smile This will have to wait unless I find something that I'm comfortable leaving her alone with.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Due to OT and PT issues I'm not ready for this. She's super responsible and wants to help and she's really capable but I can't sit there the whole time. She cuts salad up veggies with a plastic knife sometimes, wipes things down with Clorox wipes and uses the dust buster on Fridays... Smile This will have to wait unless I find something that I'm comfortable leaving her alone with.

We used something like this when the kids wanted to help, but weren't yet completely competent with a knife.

https://www.amazon.com/TruChef.....r=8-5

But I still wouldn't leave her alone

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 1:51 pm
Thank you everyone! Considering the possibilities outlined here.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:23 pm
I give my 4 and 5 year old disposable rubber gloves since they are maybe 3. They love helping and peeling. Never had any cuts bh. Although one kid once cut the glove! So I changed it and she went right back to work....
Would you try that?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:32 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
I give my 4 and 5 year old disposable rubber gloves since they are maybe 3. They love helping and peeling. Never had any cuts bh. Although one kid once cut the glove! So I changed it and she went right back to work....
Would you try that?

I guess that wouldn't work for us gals. I've cut myself through disposable gloves. 🙈
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics