Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Shakes to kickstart weight loss

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:21 am
My 18 year old is morbidly obese. He is now ready to diet but would love to drop weight quickly to help boost his ability to feel positive about dieting. I agree with him on this. Does anyone have experience with meal replacement shakes, preferably cholov yisroel, that he could use to quickly drop weight.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:52 am
Could you try maxi health shakes? They have supplements too.

He needs to be sure he’s healthy enough to diet and doesn’t get dehydrated.

First, get rid of all the nosh. All. Yes, all. There was a cause of becoming morbidly obese. Work on it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:58 am
Pm me your email address. I’ll send you a real food plan, no shakes that will fix him right up. My own son who weighed almost 380 and is in the autism spectrum trim does this. He has lost sixty pounds and maintained. We are working on helping him to lose more but he sticks strongly to his plan, and that makes all else possible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:25 am
OP here.
I am well aware of healthy "normal" ways to lose weight. That is not what I was asking. And the reason my son gained the weight is his abnormal appetite and desire to eat and eat which I believe he inherited from me. He will eat abnormal amounts of any food in sight. This is not a nosh problem
A little background:
I have been maintaining an 80-90 weight lost for 14 1/2 years. I do this through a version of OA (GSA). I believe that I am a compulsive overeater and I treat my problem like an addiction. I used to have an insatiable desire to eat, a constant craving. I joined GSA in my 30s. I attend weekly meetings, I have a sponsor and I weigh and measure every single morsel of food that I eat. I abstain from sugar and flour as well. After observing my son, (who has 7 thin siblings with their thin father's eating habits,) for 18 years, I truly believe that he is a compulsive eater like me who has a desire to eat infinitely greater than the normal person. He is not to be blamed for that any more than someone is to be blamed for a food allergy that causes abnormal reactions to foods that others eat with no problem. That said, no one can be forced to join GSA or any other food program. It is something one must decide to do on their own. He is well aware that he needs to lose weight for his health and he has tried "normal" diets in the past-always losing some weight and than falling off plan. He wants to start again and being that summer is coming and he is so heavy and hot all the time, he would love to quickly drop some pounds to get a little more comfortable in his skin before dieting in earnest. I'd like to help him with that so I turned to you ladies for info - not for dieting advice.
My son is a phenomenal person, great self esteem, lots of friends, successful and respected by peers, teachers and extended family. As much as I wish he would turn to the program that has kept me at a healthy weight for over 14 years, I need to give him the space to try and forge his own way in life.
Thank you all for understanding and for helping me find a "shake" program or other quick way to drop some pounds in the short term.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:44 am
I happen to really like Glucerna but would advise you to consult with a dr as it does have carbsteady which is for diabetes. I don't have diabetes but it really helps me regardless.

https://abbottnutrition.com/glucerna-shake

https://glucerna.com/diabetes-.....swers

Premier protein is good as well-- https://shop.premierprotein.co.....hakes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise