Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o new mishpacha jr serial
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:55 pm
Anyone reading the new mishpacha jr serial?
Am I crazy, or is it about girls with gay feelings?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can totally see how it can be understood that way... but not a chance it would pass in mishpacha!

bamba

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 3:22 am
Haaa! Was thinking the same thing!
Interested to see where they are taking it...

israel22

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:15 am
which serial?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:17 pm
The I still think it sounds like they're lesbians, hiding their relationship. anyone agree?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:32 pm
I agree that it's creepy.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:33 pm
The serial makes me super uncomfortable!

soap suds

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:27 pm
What's the title? I don't think I've seen it yet. (I get them a few weeks late from family member once they're done with it. )

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

1. It's not fiction. It's a true story if you look closely to the title on top of the page.

2. It's about 2 young women who stumble into a unhealthy relationship. Many of my relationships in high school resembled this. It's actually very triggering for me to read but I like to anyways to see Baruch Hashem how I've grown and to see how I can keep growing.

3. It IS possible for gay feeling to occur in such a relationship. Especially because many people with a history of unhealthy relationships have it stemming from a lack of healthy relationships as a child and/or abuse. These things can push a female to search for a mother figure in their friends and can mesh into more of a s-xual thing.

But even if that was the case in this serial; it would NOT be shared or written about in addition to the fact that gay feelings take time to develop more. Keep in mind the writer had no history with these type of relationships before.

I cannot speak for the writer, but I have been in too many of these relationships myself.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:36 pm
cnc wrote:
The serial makes me super uncomfortable!

Agreed. But it's a true story and these things happen.
Abuse and unhealthy dynamics are sometimes uncomfortable to read and hear about.
But I'm really happy there is awareness and this serial can hopefully bring more attention to these types of things so less girls by mistake fall into these situations.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:39 pm
soap suds wrote:
What's the title? I don't think I've seen it yet. (I get them a few weeks late from family member once they're done with it. )

Close Call.
It's it's Teen Pages actually. NOT the Jr.
It's about 2 young women around 21-22 yrs old.
And I think it's non-fiction too.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:47 pm
It's not an appropriate serial to be written in the junior magazine because 7/8 year olds and up read it, not 18 year old adults and up. The characters are adults, it doesn't belong in a kids magazine. I don't need my 2nd grader reading this.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:48 pm
I didn't buy the mishpacha this week. I usually buy every week but still had a lot of reading that I hadn't finished from over Shavuos so didn't bother buying new ones.

Can someone recap what happened in this instalment?

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:53 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
It's not an appropriate serial to be written in the junior magazine because 7/8 year olds and up read it, not 18 year old adults and up. The characters are adults, it doesn't belong in a kids magazine. I don't need my 2nd grader reading this.

This - I might be okay with a tenth grader reading it but a young elementary kid? Idk...
Maybe I’m old fashioned.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:53 pm
Didn’t read first few chapters how did these girls meet in the first place?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:55 pm
cnc wrote:
This - I might be okay with a tenth grader reading it but a young elementary kid? Idk...
Maybe I’m old fashioned.

It's not actually about lesbians.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
It's not actually about lesbians.

It's about intense not so healthy friendships and it's in the TEEN section so not for your second grader...

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
It's about intense not so healthy friendships and it's in the TEEN section so not for your second grader...

Ye well you can’t really expect the younger kids to not read the last two or three pages of the children’s magazine .

I’m pretty sure the Binah had stories once or twice about unhealthy relationships and I was okay with that and thought it is good to bring awareness but for some reason I get the creeps every time I read the serial here.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:01 pm
Amother Salmon, It's in the mishpacha junior, it's one book the kids read through it. And it's not for teens either, the characters are adults for god's sake! It doesn't belong in a kids or teens magazine.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:03 pm
You're right cnc. Something about this story just doesn't sit right with me. You can write about unhealthy relationships in a more tasteful & better way.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room