Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o new mishpacha jr serial
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:22 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Can you explain how you see it as glorifying the unhealthy relationship? I've read all the chapters and that thought never occurred to me. It's quite clear throughout that this relationship is causing all sorts of unpleasant turmoil for the protagonist. My reaction (and that of my 13 DD) has been "thank G-d I am not in a relationship like that" but you seem to think that people would react with "wow, I wish I had a relationship like that." What's making you think that?

I will quote from the chapter that was posted. "would the thrill of our relationship evaporate once we didn't have to sneak around any more?"

I don't enjoy this type of writing, but it's like the supreme court justice Stewart said:
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core [filth]"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:35 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I hope they are aware though that all the posters jumping to erotica and whatnot, are the ones admitting that they haven't even read the serial, only the few bits that were quoted here and then taken out of context.

That’s not true. I’ve commented a few times in this thread & read the whole serial so far. I’m pretty sheltered & naive yet 100% agree with the concerns expressed.

Are any members of the magazine on here?!
Or who is gonna be the brave one to actually call or email mishpacha with these concerns?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:39 pm
Can you explain how you see it as glorifying the unhealthy relationship? I've read all the chapters and that thought never occurred to me. It's quite clear throughout that this relationship is causing all sorts of unpleasant turmoil for the protagonist. My reaction (and that of my 13 DD) has been "thank G-d I am not in a relationship like that" but you seem to think that people would react with "wow, I wish I had a relationship like that." What's making you think that?

A deeply emotional teen who yearns to have close friendships yet doesn’t have them, could be yearning even more from this story & wish she had the same.

Or an older teen /young adult who is really craving a spouse, but too sheltered /unhealthy to realize it, could think it’s this kind of friendship they’re missing.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:45 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I will quote from the chapter that was posted. "would the thrill of our relationship evaporate once we didn't have to sneak around any more?"

I don't enjoy this type of writing, but it's like the supreme court justice Stewart said:
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core [filth]"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it."

That is one sentence out of context. It is clear from the rest of the story that this "thrilling" relationship is actually causing her much confusion and unease and is really disruptive to her life.

The last teen serial was about a sweet girl who got swept up in trying to make it with the "in" crowd in her new school. For sure certain excerpts taken on their own would have seemed to imply that being part of the in crowd is so thrilling that it's worth ditching your true friends and throwing your relationships with your family into turmoil. But anyone reading the story, especially once you got to the end, but even before that, could easily understand that that was just the skewed perspective of the protagonist as she was going through the experience.

If a recovered alcoholic writes about their experiences and mentions the high they felt after drinking would you call that glorifying alcoholism?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:47 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
A deeply emotional teen who yearns got close friendships yet doesn’t have them, could be yearning even more from this story & wish she had the same.

Or an older teen /young adult who is really craving a spouse, but too sheltered /unhealthy to realize it, could think it’s this kind of friendship they’re missing.

Ok, I hear that. But ostensibly this is all going to come crashing down by the end of the story so won't that give the message that such a relationship may seem alluring but is ultimately destructive?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:55 pm
Ok, I hear that. But ostensibly this is all going to come crashing down by the end of the story so won't that give the message that such a relationship may seem alluring but is ultimately destructive?

Yes but that could take months until the author gets to that point. I don’t think it’s far fetched to possibly cause damage b4 then.

Also some families only get the magazine occasionally & May miss the end.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:58 pm
This whole thing is just weird. The fact that it's left people wondering if this was the author's intent, already means that it's crossed a certain line.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:56 am
That is one sentence out of context. It is clear from the rest of the story that this "thrilling" relationship is actually causing her much confusion and unease and is really disruptive to her life.
If a recovered alcoholic writes about their experiences and mentions the high they felt after drinking would you call that glorifying alcoholism?

I would certainly be disturbed if Mishpacha ran a serial and I read a chapter that described the joy of being drunk and how you don't feel any of the stresses of daily life and the camaraderie of the regulars at the bar. Especially in teen pages.

It may ultimately be that the alcoholic drinks his life away, but it's lost in the delivery

In fact, this was a literary device used in medieval times, when people wanted to get an inappropriate literature past the church.

They would write about how terrible certain kinds of sin were, especially how beautiful girls could be, in great detail.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:25 am
Delete

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:27 am
Laiya wrote:
This whole thing is just weird. The fact that it's left people wondering if this was the author's intent, already means that it's crossed a certain line.

This.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:49 am
ectomorph wrote:
I would certainly be disturbed if Mishpacha ran a serial and I read a chapter that described the joy of being drunk and how you don't feel any of the stresses of daily life and the camaraderie of the regulars at the bar. Especially in teen pages.

It may ultimately be that the alcoholic drinks his life away, but it's lost in the delivery

In fact, this was a literary device used in medieval times, when people wanted to get an inappropriate literature past the church.

They would write about how terrible certain kinds of sin were, especially how beautiful girls could be, in great detail.

I would also be disturbed by that being in teen pages (though I am not disturbed by this serial). I was just saying that to say that it is "glorifying" this type of relationship is inaccurate.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:40 am
It is clear from the rest of the story that this "thrilling" relationship is actually causing her much confusion and unease and is really disruptive to her life.

Love be like that sometimes What

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
The tall blonde walked into Mikey's Produce emporium, seeking the perfect avocado for her scrumptious, decadent guacamole. She observed a plethora of lush avocados, each with lusciously smooth, sleek, dark green skin and a shape curved in a fashion reminiscent of a pear, but not as narrow on the smaller end. The blonde curled her fingers around an avocado that looked particularly lovely, and gently squeezed it, just enough to feel its texture. She smiled with pure delight as she realized that the delectable fruit had just the right amount of firmness. The guacamole was going to be perfect.

When I woke up this morning, I did not forsee that today was the day that I would read avocado erotica on Imamother but here we are.

The promise of "guacamole" is definitely giving me NSFW feelings right now.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:11 am
Is there anyone from Mishpacha on here who can clarify the thinking behind it?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:12 am
That's called "food [filth]" and frankly it's just as against Torah as relations [filth]

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:14 am
ectomorph wrote:
That's called "food [filth]" and frankly it's just as against Torah as relations [filth]

Your wit is breathtaking. I mean that without a shred of irony.
Best thing I read on the internet today LOL

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:34 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Your wit is breathtaking. I mean that without a shred of irony.
Best thing I read on the internet today LOL

I'm serious

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:34 am
ectomorph wrote:

omg. you know thats not what food filth is right?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:43 am
Being overly gashmius is against the Torah, whether the desire in question is food or relations.

Huge pet peeve of mine with frum serials.

It's the spiritual equivalent of replacing fat with sugar. It's no healthier, wont help you lose weight, and ultimately causes diabetes.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:51 am
ectomorph wrote:
I can't fathom how innocent you have to be to imagine this isn't lesbian [filth]

I would be interested in an experiment where we show this story (either the whole thing, everything so far, or just the one page posted here) to people who are familiar with that genre and ask them how this compares.
urban gypsy wrote:
Okay, lesbian erotica then

that, too
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room