Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Schools and Shuls in RBS A

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:28 am
My husband and I will iyH be making Aliyah next summer with our 2 kids (then ages 4 and 2 iyH) to RBS A, most likely. I would love to hear the low down on the school options and shuls in RBS A. We lived in Israel for 2 years and now in America for a few more, and have been back to Israel since leaving, so we still feel connected but we always lived/stayed in Jlem. We are coming from an out of town community on the east coast. We are in our late 20s, BT, normal and very well integrated.

We are charedi lite. My husband learns everyday, wears a black hat/white shirt on shabbos and yom tov, black velvet yamulke. I wear a sheitel, cover my legs, etc. but we have smart phones and internet with a filter. We are not anti-army, but wouldn't push our kids in either way.

1. Which schools would be a good option, why and how do we ensure we get into them? (Mostly for my son at this point, my daughter will only be 2 iyH)

2. What are our shul options and learning options for my husband (he will iYH find a job in hi-tech...he is highly trained and in the field now in America)

Thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:47 pm
Send finallyamommy a private message about schools. She has a delightful 3yo in gan, and she can tell you about her experience.

In Aleph, there are shuls on every other street corner. Really, you could go just about anywhere and be comfortable. An Anglo shul that I like is Menorat Maor, and then there's the Carlebach shul on Nachal Dolev.

I'm sure others can jump in and give you their experience as well.

Welcome home!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:49 pm
I think you should consider magen avot cheder or darchie noam.
That is probably your crowd.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:53 pm
Please make a pilot trip and visit each school that you're considering. Contact them beforehand and schedule times to meet with the hanhala and tour the school. We almost made Aliya to rbs based on tons of information we received from people living there. When we went on our pilot trip, the picture we got from the schools made us change our minds.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:05 pm
Happy to help, but my 3yo is a girl and I don't know much about boys' schools. If you're looking at Magen Avos and Darche Noam for your son, I think Bnos Malka might also be up your alley when it comes time to choose a school for your daughter. You could also check out Toras Eliyahu for either of them (separate boys' and girls' school), although it's far more Israeli than MA and DN.

In general, the bottom of RBS (Sorek/Kishon/Uriah/Lachish/etc.) is more "chareidi" and also less Anglo than the top (Dolev), although that's by no means a given among individuals.

PM me if you want. And welcome! Would love to have you for Shabbos when you get here.

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:20 pm
Thank you ladies. Does anyone know anything about the new school Netzach Yisrael? Someone I know is involved with it...curious to hear thoughts. I heard Darchei Noam is hard to get into, is that true? My son will not really know hebrew but he'll be at a regular frum school next year in the US....

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:22 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Please make a pilot trip and visit each school that you're considering. Contact them beforehand and schedule times to meet with the hanhala and tour the school. We almost made Aliya to rbs based on tons of information we received from people living there. When we went on our pilot trip, the picture we got from the schools made us change our minds.

We plan to do this! We have connections in RBS A, spent shabbosim there and the Rabbi that was mekarv my husband lives there now. If we want to do next summer, would December be a good time for a pilot trip?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:29 pm
pmommy2 wrote:
We plan to do this! We have connections in RBS A, spent shabbosim there and the Rabbi that was mekarv my husband lives there now. If we want to do next summer, would December be a good time for a pilot trip?

Try to avoid Chanukah when they have a lot going on. We went early January and it was good timing.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 2:20 pm
Start learning Hebrew NOW. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Hebrew for Dummies is actually a pretty good primer. It comes with reusable stickers that you can place all over the house to remember the names of things (oven, light switch, fridge, etc.)

The more you learn ahead of time, the more successful you will be. RBS is a very Anglo area, but don't count on it to let you off the hook. You'll still need lots of Hebrew to get by on a daily basis.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 2:22 pm
BTW, Lemkin Realty is amazing. Barbara Lemkin will do everything in her power to find you the right place, help you set up utilizes, and make sure you feel settled in. She definitely earns her fees, and then some.

WastingTime

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 2:34 pm
Darchei Noam
Magen Avot
There's also a few new schools that opened
Shuls depend on where you will live as there are at least 100? 200? in the neighborhood

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:12 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Start learning Hebrew NOW. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Hebrew for Dummies is actually a pretty good primer. It comes with reusable stickers that you can place all over the house to remember the names of things (oven, light switch, fridge, etc.)

The more you learn ahead of time, the more successful you will be. RBS is a very Anglo area, but don't count on it to let you off the hook. You'll still need lots of Hebrew to get by on a daily basis.

Yes! We are going to do our best to learn as much hebrew as possible. Can't imagine being successful without it.

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
BTW, Lemkin Realty is amazing. Barbara Lemkin will do everything in her power to find you the right place, help you set up utilizes, and make sure you feel settled in. She definitely earns her fees, and then some.

What does she charge

pmommy2

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:15 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Darchei Noam
Magen Avot
There's also a few new schools that opened
Shuls depend on where you will live as there are at least 100? 200? in the neighborhood

What are the differences between Magen Avot and Darchei Noam? What about Toras Moshe or Netzach Yisrael (new school)? Are any of them hard to get into? Will they care if we are BT (you wouldn't know except for our English names)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:22 pm
pmommy2 wrote:
What are the differences between Magen Avot and Darchei Noam? What about Toras Moshe or Netzach Yisrael (new school)? Are any of them hard to get into? Will they care if we are BT (you wouldn't know except for our English names)

IME they (MA and DN) asked a lot of questions about our background at the interview. Where we went to school, yeshiva, etc. No idea whether that factors in or not, I'm just saying, they will know you're BT. I'm certain you would not be the only BT family in the school in any case.

Hard to explain the differences between the two schools I mentioned. I would apply to both and see for yourselves. I did not apply to the other two so I have no info on those.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions