Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Legal name for Nesanel
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:10 pm
Nathan is simple & can go for alot of names

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Does he mention Egypt?

Not to derail this thread, but I remember learning that one of the things which kept the Jews from sinking to the 50th level of impurity was that they didn’t change their language, clothes, OR NAMES

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:25 pm
Also, my kids all have Hebrew names on their birth certificates.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:29 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Not to derail this thread, but I remember learning that one of the things which kept the Jews from sinking to the 50th level of impurity was that they didn’t change their language, clothes, OR NAMES

In which case we're all doomed, unless you only speak Hebrew and wear sandals and flowy robes. (Said by the person who thinks it's totally fine to put a Hebrew name on a birth certificate.)

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:30 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

So you speak lashon hakodesh at home?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:17 am
Yes, clearly we all transitioned at some point to western clothes as well as the common language spoken. The talmud is written in aramaic, after all.
The Jews weren't a nation yet, that was what they needed to stay cohesive and separate. Once we received the Torah, things changed.
Not sure why some people always act so smug about not giving their kids secular names.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Yes, clearly we all transitioned at some point to western clothes as well as the common language spoken. The talmud is written in aramaic, after all.
The Jews weren't a nation yet, that was what they needed to stay cohesive and separate. Once we received the Torah, things changed.
Not sure why some people always act so smug about not giving their kids secular names.

Who is being smug? I’m not smug about my kids having only Hebrew names, it’s just a fact.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:30 am
In Europe secular legal name was mandatory from the govt.
America is free for all.
Many people only use Hebrew name as legal name, just as other cultures in America keep their original names & don't change to American names.
In doctors waiting room you'll hear
A Wong Chung Lee being called, as well as a Francesca Velasquez as well as Abdul Mohamed, lhavdil a Moshe Stein & you don't only hear names like John Smith.

Last edited by dankbar on Fri, May 17 2019, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:33 am
All that OP wanted to know was a good name to choose. Posters telling her not to, or asking why she even is considering doing so & and bringing "proof" from other ethnic groups, or making the point of stating *they* didn't do so comes across as smug. Intended or not.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:36 am
All that OP wanted to know was a good name to choose. Posters telling her not to, or asking why she even is considering doing so & and bringing "proof" from other ethnic groups, or making the point of stating *they* didn't do so comes across as smug. Intended or not.

I think that, as with many other things, it’s all in how you read it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:40 am
Guilting someone into something by bringing proof from the chumash actually is smug.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:45 am
Different circles do different things

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:47 am
Guilting someone into something by bringing proof from the chumash actually is smug.

Dude, chill. I was not being smug, I am not being smug. I couldn’t care less what others do, o don’t think one is better than the other. I’m not questioning why anyone does what they do. I am not guilting anyone. Stop reading what YOU want I to what I am saying.

Ellie7

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:08 am
I have an English name but have always gone by my Hebrew name, and I can tell you that it’s been a huge pain. People write checks to my Hebrew name and banks don’t want to cash them, there’s a different name on my transcripts than my id. That sort of thing.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
My son is Nesanel and registered as Nathaniel.

Me too. But when we go to dr. office and things like that, they always call "Na-tan-EEL"--- I really didn't realize it was such a hard name to pronounce!

Also, I agree with Ellie7 above me that it's annoying that people write out checks to him "Nesanel Goldberg"-- when his bank account says "Nathaniel Goldberg." However, now that we have mobile deposit, it's less of an issue! (you could write John smith and it would probably still accept it.....)

STMommy

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:56 pm
Neil

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:11 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Also, my kids all have Hebrew names on their birth certificates.

Goody gum drops for you.

Not everyone is you.

OP, I wouldn't put "Nesanel" if only because "I" would pronounce it "Netanel" (until you corrected me) and you don't know how your child will wind up, someday, pronouncing it.

And "Nathaniel" is nothing more than the Anglicized spelling of the name, not a different name. I also encourage the use of standardized spellings of names; it makes life easier.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Goody gum drops for you.

Not everyone is you.

OP, I wouldn't put "Nesanel" if only because "I" would pronounce it "Netanel" (until you corrected me) and you don't know how your child will wind up, someday, pronouncing it.

And "Nathaniel" is nothing more than the Anglicized spelling of the name, not a different name. I also encourage the use of standardized spellings of names; it makes life easier.

Wow, lots of snark going on today. I said what I do. You called me out on it, and then proceeded to say what YOU would do.
Let’s leave the snark out of it, ok?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names