Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is going on with vaping in Lakewood?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:26 am
Based on that very informative article is it even Kosher

Where does the glycerin come from

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:00 pm
I’m just going to add that with the Lakewood epidemic, there is a Jewish owned vaping store that sells all their products to the yeshiva boys,
Maybe we should focus on getting them to stop these illegal sales.

groisamomma

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where does everyone get it from??

The upstairs refrigerator in DS's old mesivta, second shelf on the right side in the tissue box. Just leave 50 cents per cigarette and you're good to go.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:56 pm
groisamomma wrote:
The upstairs refrigerator in DS's old mesivta, second shelf on the right side in the tissue box. Just leave 50 cents per cigarette and you're good to go.

I am so anxious to know which mesivta this is that I am almost ready to pm you which would reveal that I live in Lakewood......

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 3:34 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am so anxious to know which mesivta this is that I am almost ready to pm you which would reveal that I live in Lakewood......

Lol, they're all the same. I'M curious where groisamama managed to switch her son to that they have no vaping ... AFAIK this yeshivah doesn't exist but obviously I'm misinformed as groisamama clearly stated that it does.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:15 pm
My son came from a mesivta where no one smoked or vaped to a bais medarish in Lakewood where about 30% of the boys smoke or vape.
The boys make fun of him that he won't even try.
Some boys can't stand the social pressure and give in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:34 pm
Please list mesivtas with no vaping!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:35 pm
Just asked ds. He said no one in his yeshiva h.s. vapes. Not Lakewood.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:48 pm
Not to shock anyone,

We bought our DS a ecig and juice. We prefer this to the smoking that he was doing.

We do buy juice with very low nic.

Yes we know about the marijuana juice but it can only be "vaped" in certain types of e-cigs

and for those of you who don't know, EVERY teenage boys high school has smoking of some sort. Anybody who claims otherwise is uninformed. EVERY, no matter what the boys say.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Lol, they're all the same. I'M curious where groisamama managed to switch her son to that they have no vaping ... AFAIK this yeshivah doesn't exist but obviously I'm misinformed as groisamama clearly stated that it does.

I'm going to ask my son next time I speak to him. He told me that almost nobody in his Lakewood mesivta smokes and nobody does drugs. I didn't know I was supposed to ask him about vaping, but I don't think the boys there do it. I go very often to bring him stuff and there are boys hanging around outside, but I've never seen anyone vaping.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:41 am
Only amother as my job is kind of unique and I talk about this often.
E-cigs, vapes, Jules etc are drugs. They change the way you feel, are addictive, and you start to seek the high. You get a tolerance and a withdrawal. Guys end up getting to the point they can't sit through an hour meeting without a vape. And then they are doing it every five minutes inside the room. If you think "oh I only buy the ones that don't accept the thc/cbd/ marijuana cartridges--- they share. Some allow you to put your own mouth piece so fewer germs but even without that they switch to try new flavors etc. I see it all the time.
I work with addicts (including very many frum) and many talk about how they started with smoking, pot or vapes. Soon it was smoking heroin. Seriously- sounds crazy and extreme but once vapes don't provide the same high or "good feeling" they move onto stronger and stronger stuff. And once you are used to smoking something, it isn't a far jump when offered by someone you are close with, you trust, you smoke with.
Why do parents tolerate it??

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:45 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
E-cigs, vapes, Jules etc are drugs. They change the way you feel, are addictive, and you start to seek the high. You get a tolerance and a withdrawal. Guys end up getting to the point they can't sit through an hour meeting without a vape. And then they are doing it every five minutes inside the room. If you think "oh I only buy the ones that don't accept the thc/cbd/ marijuana cartridges--- they share. Some allow you to put your own mouth piece so fewer germs but even without that they switch to try new flavors etc. I see it all the time.
I work with addicts (including very many frum) and many talk about how they started with smoking, pot or vapes. Soon it was smoking heroin. Seriously- sounds crazy and extreme but once vapes don't provide the same high or "good feeling" they move onto stronger and stronger stuff. And once you are used to smoking something, it isn't a far jump when offered by someone you are close with, you trust, you smoke with.

Can you do this kind of work with boys in Lakewood... before it is too late?
It’s so out of hand here..

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:51 am
Notsobusy wrote:
I'm going to ask my son next time I speak to him. He told me that almost nobody in his Lakewood mesivta smokes and nobody does drugs. I didn't know I was supposed to ask him about vaping, but I don't think the boys there do it. I go very often to bring him stuff and there are boys hanging around outside, but I've never seen anyone vaping.

They're vaping. They're not doing it outside in public - that's the point of vaping.

To clarify - there are still bochurim who smoke, but not really in mesivta. Later on.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:56 am

Thank you for all the important work that you do.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:28 am

Yes some guys are have cartridges with marijuana.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:31 pm
Thank you for your words of chizuk. Thid isn't an easy job and I definitely dont do it for the pay. I probably make less than the teachers at my kid's school! Seriously... And then have the audacity to ask me for "gifts to supplement before Pesach"... Yeah right. I am trying to fix the kids that were abused at yeshivas, kicked out of school...etc and now are hooked to some of the worst stuff on Earth. But off topic. But just shows how grateful I am to those who realize what I do and give chizuk!
Back to the topic- vapes are often supposed to be smoked outdoors or wherever cigarettes are allowed by law to be smoked- but depends on your local laws. But they can hide those jules in their hand and no one knows unless you watch them vape and breathe out the smoke. There are some really small ones.
It is so addictive. It can cause all sorts of issues including lung issues.... And thats without nicotine or THC being in them!
Please stop your kids from using them!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:54 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Not to shock anyone,

We bought our DS a ecig and juice. We prefer this to the smoking that he was doing.

We do buy juice with very low nic.

Yes we know about the marijuana juice but it can only be "vaped" in certain types of e-cigs

and for those of you who don't know, EVERY teenage boys high school has smoking of some sort. Anybody who claims otherwise is uninformed. EVERY, no matter what the boys say.

Not sure how you can make a sweeping general statement with certainty about every single boys yeshiva high school.

But assuming that's true, ds doesn't know about it. He did say there was 1 boy, a grade above him last year, who did vape and he was expelled.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:21 pm
Sapphire, just as a resource for your work, are you familiar with- maybe you already work with or for them, Amudim. There was an evening of awareness at my daughter's school, along with a second evening Hidden in Plain Sight.

We all think our kids are fine and it is someone else's "problem child", but as parents we can never be too aware.

Btw, for all you imas don't assume that if you have girls that you have nothing to worry about.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:21 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Not sure how you can make a sweeping general statement with certainty about every single boys yeshiva high school.

But assuming that's true, ds doesn't know about it. He did say there was 1 boy, a grade above him last year, who did vape and he was expelled.

I'm not that amother, but my son is in what is considered one of the top yeshivos and he says some boys vape. He could be exaggerating - it could be one of two - but I would rather face facts then put my head in the sand. But to each his (her) own!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:24 pm

Hm... why do parents tolerate it? Read some responses on this thread and you'll know why. It's because it's "not in MY son's yeshivah", that's one reason. Also, parents may be misinformed as to how dangerous this is. Seriously. I had a conversation with my son about this and he claims it's completely fine, there are absolutely NO health issues.

Maybe you can be the one to spread awareness.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics