Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you clean your counter?
Previous  1  2

MiriFr

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:57 am
I do it before I mop. A little soap and water + a squeegee to move all the water into the sink. And then I mop anyway.

Miri1

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:53 am
I clean with a bit of soap and water.
If there are drips from raw meat or chicken I'll wipe down that area with a bit of alcohol - not sure if that would be good for formica though.
Food is always on a plate or cutting board.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:52 am
I'd cut up am apple straight on the counter.
And put down a slice of cheese if I'm working with it.

I don't officially use it as a cutting board / prep surface though.

I use Dish soap and a sponge to get it all soapy. Then a squeegee to push the water into the sink and I rinse with fresh water and squeegee again.

After I prep chicken/fish or anything that can contaminate other foods, I also spray and wipe it down with a basic H/basic G /water mixture. Or Mr. Clean (if I'm out of shaklee).

Marigold

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
Use a damp (make it fully wet but then wring out all the water) soft rag with just a drip of dish soap rubbed into the cloth. Wash counters thoroughly.
Then rinse out the rag (or make new clean one wet), wring again, and wipe down to rinse.

This. And I use soft scrub.

iammom

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:47 am
Does no one eat food that dropped onto the counter like I do? Whistling

I spray with fantastik and then wipe down with a wet paper towel and hope for the best Very Happy

greenfire

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:13 pm
baking soda & a wet 2 sided sponge ... first side scrubs flip side wipes~ rinse

also would never put food directly on a counter

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:34 pm
iammom wrote:

I spray with fantastik and then wipe down with a wet paper towel and hope for the best Very Happy

Of course I eat food that was on the counter. I don't use it to cut, and certainly don't put raw meat on it, but hey, things happen.

I clean it with Lysol Multi-Purpose Cleaner

Spray, wipe, done.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:50 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Of course I eat food that was on the counter. I don't use it to cut, and certainly don't put raw meat on it, but hey, things happen.

I clean it with Lysol Multi-Purpose Cleaner

Spray, wipe, done.

This is what I use and I was also wondering about eating food off the counter. I figure since it’s dry then none of it is getting on the food? But I also use Clorox wipes on my baby’s high chair and then dry it. Is that not safe for her to eat off of that?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:45 pm
I wash my baby's high chair tray in the sink with soapy water. Also easier to get clean that way!

I see that I'm pretty normal, though, in using spray/wipe for counters and not really eating off the counter.

I may try to see if I can use soapy water with less of a mess again, since I see that's "done" too.

My kids eat off the counter regularly, although they eat off the floor, their laps, etc. too...

yksraya

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 5:14 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I do it before I mop. A little soap and water + a squeegee to move all the water into the sink. And then I mop anyway.

You mop your counters?

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 5:20 pm
I use green/natural spray and then wipe with a wet cloth. I don’t prepare food right on them but definitely put whole produce on them, etc.

momsrus

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 5:26 pm
Purell and Lysol make a spray that’s antibacterial and is food safe.

teachkids

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 5:57 pm
fantastik + paper towels.
I don't put food directly on the counter since we only have 1 counter so it's treif.

abaker

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:45 pm
I use vinegar and water mixture in a spray bottle with paper towels. For yucky messes like after preparing raw chicken or meat I use lysol wipes. I don't put food directly on the counters though I am sure they are clean enough to safely do so, I just prefer not to.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:55 pm
iammom wrote:

I do! My counters get completely cleaned (everything gets piled up, etc) twice a week with Clorox wipes. The rest of the time, I use water or windex, depending on what’s getting cleaned up. I don’t put fish or meat or chicken directly on the counter, but I do cut vegetables straight on it. Like some else said, I’ll put cheese on the counter get, or bread, if that’s what I’m making, but really I try to put even that on a plate or on foil.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry