Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Traveling to meron
1  2  Next

goldyz

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:32 am
im making chalake in meron next week iy"h, traveling from england! any ideas what kind of buggy to use. I here the yoyo is great for traveling but has anyone tried using it for a 3 year old? as well im having in mind the hill pusshing up to the meireh!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:38 am
The hill is steep, and it is going to be more crowded than you can possibly imagine. There will be some really odd people there, and no where near enough bathrooms for everybody. No places to get food, and last year there weren't enough buses. A ton of people got stuck on the mountain overnight, or had to walk all the way into town.

I love Meron on a quiet day, but you couldn't pay me enough to go on Lag b'Omer

etky

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The hill is steep, and it is going to be more crowded than you can possibly imagine. There will be some really odd people there, and no where near enough bathrooms for everybody. No places to get food, and last year there weren't enough buses. A ton of people got stuck on the mountain overnight, or had to walk all the way into town.

Totally. Every nerve in my body screams 'stay away' from Meron on Lag B'Omer.

goldyz

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

was there last year too, I told my husbamd if he wanted to do chalake this year I had to experience it once before, and yes I do agree about all the things youve mentioned but were being baalie simchah!!! as well we shall go to reb shimon to pray and thank! im sure he'll sort us out!!!! I just need advice about what kind of buggy to take along as you say there wont be where to sit!!!

goldyz

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:51 am
etky wrote:
how could you be talking this way???? my dear husband was born in zechus of rebbi shimon after 3 stillborns!!!
we also believe "the harder the mitzvah the bigger schar"

etky

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 3:52 am
goldyz wrote:
how could you be talking this way???? my dear husband was born in zechus of rebbi shimon after 3 stillborns!!!

Ok.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 4:06 am
I also received a great blessing at the kever. It's a truly holy place, no argument.

I'm just telling you that you need to be prepared. It's like going to Woodstock. Basically the biggest balagan outside of Uman.

Shuly

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 3:28 pm
Can you get a backpack carrier and have your husband carry him up the hill on his back? I think that would be the easiest and the least overwhelming for your son.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 3:29 pm
goldyz wrote:

What's the mitzvah here?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:08 am
goldyz wrote:
was there last year too, I told my husbamd if he wanted to do chalake this year I had to experience it once before, and yes I do agree about all the things youve mentioned but were being baalie simchah!!! as well we shall go to reb shimon to pray and thank! im sure he'll sort us out!!!! I just need advice about what kind of buggy to take along as you say there wont be where to sit!!!

Take your buggy/buggies to the steepest hill in your home area and figure out what works for you before you fly from the UK. Switch your brain into "war mode", pray and I humbly suggest you not to "lismoch al ha neis"

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:12 am
etky wrote:

Totally agree with you and FranticFrummie. Personally, the bonfire in the street around the block is totally adequate.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:44 am
goldyz wrote:

Be happy some of us stay at home for Lag Baomer. Makes the place less crowded.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:48 am
Go pray and thank the next day.
Miron is so special and holy but on lag baomer it’s way too overwhelming.
Especially for a Child

Israeli_C

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:48 am
Another one saying; don't do it! DH has been going to Meron every single year since we got married and his stories are so offputting. The overcrowding is verging on dangerous. I can't imagine adding a 3 year old to the mix, please don't do it to him. I agree with Chocolate - go the day after.

abound

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:09 am
Get there early, this way it is less crowded for you child on the way up since the mountain is scary in some places with a stroller (can cause pple to fall down) If you know the way up yourself maybe ur husband can go up the mehadrin way with the carriage (men only) and you meet him on the top. By early I mean get there before 7PM at night or before 10AM in the morning.
Make sure it is a stroller that your son can sleep in comfortably becuause he will need to spend a lot of hrs in it. Worry less about how hard it is to push up the hill.
Do not try to take your son into the womens or mens section, take turns with your husband going inside and watching your son outside. You do not need to shlep drinks since they will be giving out all over but take along a water bottle so you can refill since you will not always be able to get to it.
If you are part of a chassidus that goes up, ask before there may be a building or area that they rent out that you can rest up in, or have a chair and a place to take a break.

It is a hectic experience but a zechus for your son too!
May you have much Nachas from him!

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:12 am
If you go midday Wednesday, it’s less crowded than the night. But it is direct sunlight.
Each year the number of visitors grows and there is just not enough space. The yoyo is good since you can carry it and your child up the hill.
I will disagree about the food. There is a huge kitchen set up to provide food for everyone. You have to know where it is.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:13 am
Dont bring a buggy, there will probably be no room for it.
Whatever crowds you think there are, its so many times more than that.

Personally, every time I think of little 3 year olds there, it makes me so nervous as scared.

salt

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:16 am
goldyz wrote:

If you were there last year, why do you need advice on which buggy to bring?
You know what it's like there.
Good luck, mazal tov and enjoy.

etky

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:19 am
Bear in mind too that there will be a heat wave this week that is supposed to culminate on Thursday....

Sleek

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:23 am
I was there last year between 2-5 in the afternoon, when it's the least crowded. I went up up and up (near Bnei Akiva), There was a tent and shade. Not so crowded over there. I found plenty of food tents and restrooms on the way. People give out drinks. Rule: Drink each time you come across these stations - you need it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions