Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Is excluding the non vaccinated from school really working?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:31 am
It looks like some anti-vaxers are deliberately exposing their kids to measles which causes a healthy child to now be a vector of disease.

At the same time, parents are known to give Tylenol for fever and send sick kids to school.

Would it be better for cities to have policies penalizing parents who knowingly send sick children to school, rather than risk that some parents will deliberately cause illness to their children and possibly others so that their kids can come back to school?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:49 am
I had the hunch that they send them out to spread on purpose. To shul with the father to the halways to grocery. They probably think it a service to the community. In Williamsburg they are a minority but the damage and stink is still very big. Also they did not have in mind when they became anti vax that it means a tottaly diferent life with lots of quarantines to protect their brethen.
So favors of spreading "measles for life" and killing fetuses on the way and just wanting them out of the house

youngishbear

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:11 am
Schools are hopefully more careful about keeping out unvaccinated jids altogether. Some have gotten fines so they want to avoid that.

I don't think the sick kids are coming to school, necessarily. The big issue is that many measles cases are going unreported, and that quarantine isn't being enforced

I heard that the city may start fining parents if their kids go back to school with positives titers that came from unreported measles. I hope that's true.

goldrose

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:45 am
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like some anti-vaxers are deliberately exposing their kids to measles which causes a healthy child to now be a vector of disease.

At the same time, parents are known to give Tylenol for fever and send sick kids to school.

Would it be better for cities to have policies penalizing parents who knowingly send sick children to school, rather than risk that some parents will deliberately cause illness to their children and possibly others so that their kids can come back to school?

The ones intentionally exposing to measles prefer alternative treatment, remember? They don't give their children Tylenol. They are aware that giving Tylenol, and especially for measles, is unsafe and prolongs the illness. So their kids are home.

But I agree with you that expelling unvaccinated from school is backfiring and prolonging the "outbreak." Parents are intentionally exposing their children to measles in order to get them back into school.

yksraya

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:56 am
Kids sick with measles, yeah.

Otherwise, when kids have any random virus, of course no one should knowingly send, but I can't see how this can be prevented given that kids get sick and parents don't always realise kid is sick, especially if the kid is not a complainer.

Also, the mom who sent the kid purposely can always say she was unaware the kid was sick.

Also, some kids like to say they don't feel well, to avoid going to school. If a kid is the type to do that often, it can so happen that when the kid for real didn't feel well the mom didn't believe him. (so much for crying wolf!)

youngishbear

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:59 am
goldrose wrote:
The ones intentionally exposing to measles prefer alternative treatment, remember? They don't give their children Tylenol. They are aware that giving Tylenol, and especially for measles, is unsafe and prolongs the illness. So their kids are home.

But I agree with you that expelling unvaccinated from school is backfiring and prolonging the "outbreak." Parents are intentionally exposing their children to measles in order to get them back into school.

I think we've established elsewhere that while there is some overlap between antivaxxers and natural remedy users, it isn't necessarily the same people.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:05 am
Didn’t someone here post how her sister or sister in law would get a call from the school when the DOH was gone, and it was “safe” to bring her kids to school?

yksraya

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:09 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Didn’t someone here post how her sister or sister in law would get a call from the school when the DOH was gone, and it was “safe” to bring her kids to school?

Nuts! Most schools don't do that. Most schools wanna stay out of trouble and are somewhat annoyed at the ones causing the trouble (to put it mildly).

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:17 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

Really?!?!!!!! Why would they do that????

goldrose

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:44 am
youngishbear wrote:
I think we've established elsewhere that while there is some overlap between antivaxxers and natural remedy users, it isn't necessarily the same people.

Except that these days, in order to get competent advice on treating measles, anti vaxxers are consulting with other anti vaxxers, not pro vax, pro-tylenol, anti-fever people.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:25 am
goldrose wrote:
Except that these days, in order to get competent advice on treating measles, anti vaxxers are consulting with other anti vaxxers, not pro vax, pro-tylenol, anti-fever people.

That's the way that I generally stereotype them!

Sebastian

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:28 am
No it was good to keep them from school buT not enough. They also should've been kept from all public places and forced to stay home until vaxed or the outbreak ends

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:40 am
Sebastian wrote:
No it was good to keep them from school buT not enough. They also should've been kept from all public places and forced to stay home until vaxed or the outbreak ends

Agree

Their home should have a big red quarantine sign on the door from the dept of health

Tzutzie

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I had the hunch that they send them out to spread on purpose. To shul with the father to the halways to grocery. They probably think it a service to the community. In Williamsburg they are a minority but the damage and stink is still very big. Also they did not have in mind when they became anti vax that it means a tottaly diferent life with lots of quarantines to protect their brethen.
So favors of spreading "measles for life" and killing fetuses on the way and just wanting them out of the house

Yups. That's how my relatives infant ended up in the icu....

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:52 am
ectomorph wrote:
Agree

Their home should have a big red quarantine sign on the door from the dept of health

Quarantine healthy people?! Ridiculous. Measles is spread from people who have measles, not from people who don't.

Actually, I suggest quarantining you and your family, because I don't want to catch scarlet fever, or any other illness that has no vaccine, from you.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 11:56 am
youngishbear wrote:

True. But also I'd say pretty much 3/4 of the antivaxxers ARE ALSO the anti-Tylenol/motrin, anti meds, homebirthing, organic type. And those are also the vocal ones.
The other 1/4 just do their own thing and are quiet.
In fact, I know of one who officially doesn't Vax. But as soon as this outbreak started she vaxxed both her older kids. Just the mmr. Hopefully that will also protect her baby. (She's immune and she is BFing her baby)

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:00 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Quarantine healthy people?! Ridiculous. Measles is spread from people who have measles, not from people who don't.

Actually, I suggest quarantining you and your family, because I don't want to catch scarlet fever, or any other illness that has no vaccine, from you.

Yes quarantine everyone in the house who was exposed to measles until they are tested and shown to have titers.

It's because of people like you that I had to bring my kids immunization documents when we flew recently

And it's because of people like you that I had to immunize my baby early

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:10 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Yups. That's how my relatives infant ended up in the icu....

Oh, no. How is the baby doing. Refuah shleima.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:17 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

It has never been necessary to quarantine healthy people but in my Pollyannic view of history, people tried NOT to get sick.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It has never been necessary to quarantine healthy people but in my Pollyannic view of history, people tried NOT to get sick.

Because they weren't excluded from society if they were healthy. Circular reasoning. The main reason people exposed their kids is so that they could go back to school or to camp.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics