Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Online program for tuition discounts

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:56 pm
My school just started using an online program for tuition discounts. I am nervous to put all my personal financial information online. I don’t know who has access to this. The school said that the company does all the calculations and deciding discounts but I don’t feel comfortable with it. What if the website gets hacked? It wouldn’t be the first time a big company got hacked and personal info stolen.
What should I do? The school says I have to do it. Can they force me to give my info online if I am worried about security?

OOTforlife

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:13 pm
They can't "force" you to give your information, but you may wind up ineligible for financial aid as a result.

For what it's worth, outsourcing financial aid calculations to a vendor is totally normal and standard practice for secular private schools. I can't speak to the security aspect, but it is a very widespread practice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 6:45 pm
A reputable company like FACTS I am sure has their info encrypted that even a database hack wouldn't be able to read off bank account numbers. Just by having a bank account, mortgage, credit card bills, utility bills your information is stored in a database that is also technically vulnerable for hackers, and likely even more appealing for hackers to try to get into than a small customer base in a private school financial aid application.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics