Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
No Pediatric COTA jobs!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. Thank you for taking the time to answer and all your suggestions. do u think parents wld be interested if I were to provide them with additional services or maintenance? If they receive services 2x week in a clinic and would like additional services , or if they need help implementing the sensory diet or would just like to work on fine motor, visual motor etc.? I would treat privately in their home for a minimal fee ($35 per session) this would just be as a supplement to their ot sessions. Do u think there is a need for this? Just a thought.

How much experience do you have?

I'm assuming you would stay within the mandates of cota, regardless of who's paying.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:12 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
How much experience do you have?

I'm assuming you would stay within the mandates of cota, regardless of who's paying.

I only have about a year of experience. I have taken some courses and am always looking to learn and become more knowledgeable. I will definitely make this clear before I take on any cases. I will charge a very minimal fee. This is an ot maintenance program and would be in addition to the regular services they receive.

As a COTA, I legally need to have an ot sign off on my notes. If parents are privately paying me and I'm implementing the sensory diet or working on the goals they like I doubt I would need to actually follow the mandate.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:29 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I'm sorry 😔 Unfortunately this is a problem in so many fields. Programs advertise a profession that sounds so attractive and fulfilling. And maybe it truly is, but the field is flooded or not in high demand or only certain specialties really make it etc. And all these new grads with student loans and a real desire to work in their field are stuck competing for the few jobs available, doing ridiculous commutes, or switching to a new profession altogether.

Quote:
[Aricelli] Yes- but these are therapists- not assistants. Can you get assistants through ei as well?

I was responding to based on what Amother Rose wrote that some of these jobs are not in high demand.

aricelli

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:36 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I was responding to based on what Amother Rose wrote that some of these jobs are not in high demand.

Oh. Pediatric cotas dont seem to be in such high demand. I actually was considering going into that field at one point and was discouraged while asking about it. Which is a shame. I think it can fill a void.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I only have about a year of experience. I have taken some courses and am always looking to learn and become more knowledgeable. I will definitely make this clear before I take on any cases. I will charge a very minimal fee. This is an ot maintenance program and would be in addition to the regular services they receive.

As a COTA, I legally need to have an ot sign off on my notes. If parents are privately paying me and I'm implementing the sensory diet or working on the goals they like I doubt I would need to actually follow the mandate.

From therapist to therapist, I'm telling you to please not take on private work at this stage of your career. You need at least a few more years of experience.

Also, no! Do not do anything to jeopardize your license. Do not do anything illegal or unethical. Just don't. I hope I misunderstood your last paragraph.

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

As a therapist with a license I would double check that. As a cota, If you are legally required to have some form of supervision by an OT to provide services, that shouldn't make a difference if you are being paid privately or not or by how much you are charging. It's not an insurance regulation, it's the mandate of your license (which varies by State). You worked too hard to get your license to risk it!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:43 pm
Thank you all for your responses. I will look into.

aricelli

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:45 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
From therapist to therapist, I'm telling you to please not take on private work at this stage of your career. You need at least a few more years of experience.

Also, no! Do not do anything to jeopardize your license. Do not do anything illegal or unethical. Just don't. I hope I misunderstood your last paragraph.

Just curious why shr needs more experience to do private work? If parents know theyre taking her just as an adjunct to their OT? My OT showed us a lot of excersises to do at home but sometimes I was just too overwhelmed with my other children and could have used someone to help.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:51 pm
aricelli wrote:
Just curious why not? If parents know theyre taking her just as an adjunct to their OT? My OT showed us a lot of excersises to do at home but sometimes I was just too overwhelmed with my other children and could have used someone to help.

I don't think parents are going to look at a cota as simply someone who is helping their child do prescribed exercises. I think it's much more likely that they would ask questions or she would offer information related to the child and the prescribed treatment plan. And at this stage of her career, it's not appropriate to be working independently in someone's home and providing that level of care.

aricelli

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I don't think parents are going to look at a cota as simply someone who is helping their child do prescribed exercises. I think it's much more likely that they would ask questions or she would offer information related to the child and the prescribed treatment plan. And at this stage of her career, it's not appropriate to be working independently in someone's home and providing that level of care.

Ok. I see that. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics