Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Starting to dread looking like a wreck on 3 day Y"T Shavuos
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

aliavi

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:34 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I use shabbos makeup. I scrub my face every day, and start fresh. It feels amazing.

What brand do you use? I would like to try.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:41 am
aliavi wrote:
What brand do you use? I would like to try.

Shabbos brushups. Check out her Instagram- @brushupsbyallison
I'm a pretty light blonde, so sometimes I get my lashes tinted (takes like half hour from when you walk in to when you walk out).
But she sells everything- foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, blush, bronzer, highlighter, brushes
And she has people selling all over the world, so you can easily find.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:44 am
It's better to shower and feel good about yourself than worry about 3 day old makeup. Get shabbat makeup powder that you can apply on YT. Maybe some faux lashes if you need it. Feeling clean and using just a bit of powder can make a big difference.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:07 am
Crimson, I see @brushupsbyallison sells roll on sticks for shabbos lip powder. That looks very good. Does she have roll ons for eye powder liner as well? That is something I could really use.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:16 am
OP, I'm going to say this before I read the whole thread. And I say this with no sarcasm whatsoever:

This is your mesirus nefesh for Torah.

Seriously.

Yes, there is no reason not to try your best, to find long-lasting makeup, to use kosher Shabbos makeup* to choose clothes that won't make you look washed out, whatever you can. But if, on that third day, or maybe even the middle of Sunday, you look washed out, tell Hashem you're giving Him a korban. I know it seems laughable compared to the mesirus nefesh of our grandparents and/or greats for Shabbos, or during WWII, but it's the little things like this that make us great. Practice joyfully endorsing yourself for how you look. It will be a reflection of your keeping the Torah that we have been given Shavuos day, a reflection - possibly - of caring for the brachos you have been given, preparing the meals for the brachos you have been given, every little bit counts.

I'm going to say something else in my next post, also before reading the whole thread. Thanks for indulging me.

* Years ago a posek told our class that it was mutar to prepare a little blush before Shabbos, I.e. brush some into another compartment. (Please do not try this psak at home.) He also said that as kavod Shabbos, since there were fewer makeup options for Shabbos, we might want to wear less during the week so that we wouldn't find Shabbos so painful. (Did I listen? Only the Shadow [the ones under my eyes] knew.)

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:19 am
Speaking of... Can one take a bath like friday morninh? What does it entail? My hot water is allowed. Can we use diluted soap? Im chadish if it matters

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:22 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Speaking of... Can one take a bath like friday morninh? What does it entail? My hot water is allowed. Can we use diluted soap? Im chadish if it matters

Shower, 1 limb at a time under the water, with liquid soap.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:30 am
And this dovetails perfectly withwhat Rabbi Reisman last night. He used as a springboard the dialogue between Manoach and his wife. Manoach said, "I saw a malach. I'm gonna die" His wife said, "No. We wouldn't have got that message [about Shimhon and nezirus] unless we're were destined to live."

Rabbi Reisman said, look at Manoach's reaction, how weak he was, and how he saw the encounter with the malach. What he should have seen was a confidence booster - I saw a malach! - and a challenge to live up to the mission.

The topic was yeridas hadoros. There are different opinions as to what it means, but he focused on, in Rabbi Moshe Shapiro zt"l's words, not that it's a weakening of intellect but in our spiritual energy. We simply don't have the energy and the excitement and drive that we used to have.

And I'll say, we shouldn't beat ourselves up. We should tell ourselves that we are strong, and - with or without makeup - beautiful, and we can do it. (And if we need to pamper ourselves for yom tov with some payoff for all our hard work like a new top/extra magazine/bar of chocolate/some food shortcut that will make our lives easier while not compromising on the standards we want for yom tov, go for it!*)

I would also recommend Rabbi Henoch Plotnik's aricle in the most recent Mishpacha. It was focusing on sefira and how many people don't really think about what it means in their daily lives.

*I learned a great yesod from a teacher of mine in recent years. Our goal in life is for our neshama and guf to work in tandem as full partners. But that's not how things are, really. When we do something really worthwhile and hard, our guf is more often than not a less than fully willing partner, shlepped along for the ride. So treats, and they can be little, to acknowledge and endorse the guf's hard work, can go a long way in making the guf willing to go along the next time.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:37 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Can't Believe It Banging head

Also... I've seen this so much with older women in my community - 60s-70s. They wear a full face of makeup every day. When you see them without the makeup, they look terrrrrrible. Don't do it to yourself.

What about middle ground? Wearing light makeup so you don't fell washed out, say.
And what, these women should look terrrrrrible all the time? Or are you saying that they'll feel better about themselves. Because they'll stick look terrrrrrrrible to others.

I do agree that it's healthy to work on our self-image not being tied into how we look so much. It'll probably be hot. Even with a/c we'll have hot kitchens/walk to shul/take kids to the playground. It's quite possible that we'll look like something the cat's dragged in at some point. But we have to see the beauty in what we've been doing with ourselves to get that point and embrace that.

But we can still go back to putting on makeup on isru chag.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:08 am
LOL it's just makeup

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:16 am
I use shabbos makeup. I scrub my face every day, and start fresh. It feels amazing.

What’s a good facial wash to use that’s okay for shabbos or YT?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
What’s a good facial wash to use that’s okay for shabbos or YT?

Company is aveeno. Forgot the actual name. But its foaming, so it doesnt smear or create bubbles

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
Crimson, I see @brushupsbyallison sells roll on sticks for shabbos lip powder. That looks very good. Does she have roll ons for eye powder liner as well? That is something I could really use.

I livvvvve for those lipsticks! So convenient and easy. The only other product that comes in a roller ball is highlighter. Everything else comes in a small pot that you apply with a brush. So the eyeliners are a black powder in a tiny pot with a strainer on top (dunno why the strainer. I remove it.) and I apply with a very skinny angled brush that I bought in the dollar tree.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:25 am
I have awful skin - scars, moles, acne... I’m too embarrassed to leave my house without makeup. Keeping shabbos makes me so angry at God. Let alone 3 day yomim tovim.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I have awful skin - scars, moles, acne... I’m too embarrassed to leave my house without makeup. Keeping shabbos makes me so angry at God. Let alone 3 day yomim tovim.

Have you tried preparing brushes ready with Clinique matte superpowder double face makeup? I know you won't be able to expect the same results with a powder, but you can still look and feel better about yourself.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:03 am
I livvvvve for those lipsticks! So convenient and easy. The only other product that comes in a roller ball is highlighter. Everything else comes in a small pot that you apply with a brush. So the eyeliners are a black powder in a tiny pot with a strainer on top (dunno why the strainer. I remove it.) and I apply with a very skinny angled brush that I bought in the dollar tree.

Thanks! Does she sell a very skinny angled brush to go with her black powder? I need a new liner and better brush option.
Also, regarding the lip powder, is it worthwhile to go down and choose a color if I'm particular, or can I rely on the colors online looking the same on my lips? I will be needing a new lip powder soon.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Big, big hugs. There's obviously a lot more going on here than OP's describing. I hope ra_mom and other posters have been helpful for you.
I'm so sorry all this is so hard for you. I envy the zechuyos you're accruing.

zoom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:34 pm
get a spray tan! thats what I do before every yomtov. dont be put off by the 'fake' tan of it, you can get a really natural colour that just gives you a glow, or you can go darker to look more sunkissed.
if you dont want to get it done by someone you can do it yourself. I use garnier ambre solaire face spray and works a dream.

you can also get false lashes and long lasting liner applied before yomtov, so when your eyemakeup slowly starts to wear off, youl still be left with plenty!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Friday morning is still erev shabbos and shavuos starts motzei shabbos this year, hence a 3 day YT. But you can shower limb by limb on M"S or Sunday or Monday.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks! Does she sell a very skinny angled brush to go with her black powder? I need a new liner and better brush option.
Also, regarding the lip powder, is it worthwhile to go down and choose a color if I'm particular, or can I rely on the colors online looking the same on my lips? I will be needing a new lip powder soon.

Yes she sells eyeliner brushes.
If you are particular with lip colors, I would go and try it on before buying. Her studio is on central ave in the 5T. But people sell all over, so maybe you can find someone near you I'd you live far. PM her on insta to find someone. Shes really helpful.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics