Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Assemble blintzes without frying after?
1  2  Next

little neshamala

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:12 pm
Ive never made cheese blintzes before, even though they are one of my most favorite foods. But I decided this year is it. So here we go.
Can I make the crepes, and then fill them eith filling, roll them up and thats it? Why does every recipe I see say to put them in the frying pan after? How necessary is it?

(The blintzes I see in the cafes dont look like theyve been fried after but I could be wrong)

tf

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:18 pm
Not necessary at all. I roll up with cheese filling on YT.

dankbar

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:20 pm
To fry with butter after is to give that crispy taste also to reheat if frozen or cold & you like it hot but if you like it cold then no need

yksraya

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:20 pm
Some bake it in the oven a few minutes.

giselle

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:30 pm
I like them better when they’re not fried.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:33 pm
I never fry ready blintzes.

little neshamala

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:36 am
Thank you all so much!

nylon

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:32 am
The only thing to know is, usually you only cook the crepes on one side and fold them uncooked side out, so that side is the one cooked when you fry or bake them.

If you're not going to frythe filled pancakes then make sure they are fully cooked. You might want to cook the second side.

loveit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:43 am
My cheese filling recipe has egg in it so they need to be cooked. I’ve always tried but don’t have the patience anymore so I’m thinking of just baking them this year.

I find it easiest to assemble blintzes ahead of time then freeze before frying. You can try/bake directly from frozen

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:45 am
How long and with what method do you bake if you don't fry?

giselle

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:46 am
loveit wrote:
My cheese filling recipe has egg in it so they need to be cooked. I’ve always tried but don’t have the patience anymore so I’m thinking of just baking them this year.

I find it easiest to assemble blintzes ahead of time then freeze before frying. You can try/bake directly from frozen

I didn’t realize op meant she wasn’t going to bake them at all. Some fillings should definitely be baked (or fried).

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:47 am
I've never fried my cheese blintzes and they are delicious . The only ones I've ever fried were the ready frozen ones from J&J which can't compare to the real deal when you make it yourself.

cm

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:48 am
Uncooked blintzes do not sound appetizing. They are usually fried in butter or baked (for less fat).

yerushamama

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:53 am
Make sure there are no raw eggs in the filling.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:58 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I've never fried my cheese blintzes and they are delicious . The only ones I've ever fried were the ready frozen ones from J&J which can't compare to the real deal when you make it yourself.

Thunderstorm, can you post your recipe?
Also, does anyone have a low carb version? I'm wondering if I could make crepe batter with a low carb substitute for flour (nut flour?) and use stevia instead of sugar.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:10 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Thunderstorm, can you post your recipe?
Also, does anyone have a low carb version? I'm wondering if I could make crepe batter with a low carb substitute for flour (nut flour?) and use stevia instead of sugar.

Cheese Blintzes from the Balabustas Choice

Crepes:
2 eggs
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
Pinch salt
1/2 Cup flour
1/2 Cup milk

Beat eggs lightly with fork
Mix with sugar, oil and salt. Add flour and mix until smooth. Add milk while mixing constantly until smooth.

Heat a drop of oil in frying pan (I use cooking spray) pour 2-3 Tbsp of batter into heated pan and fry on both sides until golden brown color forms. Continue frying until entire batter is used.

(I have found that I need to double the batter for crepes to go with the amount of cheese filling. It makes around 12 or a bit more of blintzes)

Cheese Filling:
1 pound cottage cheese
1 7 and 1/2 ounce J & J farmer cheese
1/4-1/2 Cup sugar
1 vanilla sugar
Dash of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and mix.
Place a spoonful of filling in center of each crepe and roll into a blintz

(I make and freeze the cheese filling in advance and defrost fully right before make the blintzes. I prefer to have fresher crepes which I prepare on erev Yom Tov or Yom Tov and then fill them with the already prepared filling)

To answer your low carb question: I've tried doing this but I don't like the results as much. I've made crepes without any type of flour .I used a tiny drop of corn starch but they were mostly egg .
I also have done a stevia filling instead of sugar and I really don't like it. The saltiness of the cheese still comes through and doesn't compare to the original recipe.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:15 am
Thanks, thunderstorm! It looks like a great recipe, but is not in my carb budget for now. And they are too tempting for me to pretend to make for my family: I know I'll eat some.

little neshamala

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:21 am
giselle wrote:
I didn’t realize op meant she wasn’t going to bake them at all. Some fillings should definitely be baked (or fried).

Right, I should clarify in talking about not baking or frying after. Just assembling and eating straight. If there are no eggs in the filling, what would be the point? How necessary?

little neshamala

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:22 am
tf wrote:
Not necessary at all. I roll up with cheese filling on YT.

I think this is what im asking. You just roll them up and serve them without putting in the oven or frying pan?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:25 am
little neshamala wrote:
I think this is what im asking. You just roll them up and serve them without putting in the oven or frying pan?

Yes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics